Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: Tom Gamble is the leading target for GM

  1. #41
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    SD and CLE, right?

    If CLE beats us out of any candidate, shoot me now. Ditto on Jax. I'd also say that the Jets are more attractive than SD unless he simply wants to stay on the Left Coast. And if that's the case, nothing you can do about it. But if he is open to relocating back to the East, being the guy that brings the Jets back to prominence is a fairly attractive proposition, IMO.
    Agreed.

    San Diego is the only spot that rivals us IMO. Better weather, less pressure, weak media market, similar talent levels, etc.

    Cleveland and JacksonL.A.? Lol, if we lose out to them.....that says something.

  2. #42
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agreed.

    San Diego is the only spot that rivals us IMO. Better weather, less pressure, weak media market, similar talent levels, etc.

    Cleveland and JacksonL.A.? Lol, if we lose out to them.....that says something.
    Agreed. I think at the moment, even with the "circus", we're the best looking opportunity...The upside seems to be unrivaled.. It's looking like Woody is currently making football minded moves and seems to finally be somewhat taking his hands out of it.

    I'm thinking (hoping) whatever GM we bring in will have the chance to evaluate and make the decision about Rex when everything is said and done. I can't see the GM being handcuffed to Rex in order to come here. Hell, you'd just chase all the top guys away. I'm sure the consulting firm has established this already.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agreed.

    San Diego is the only spot that rivals us IMO. Better weather, less pressure, weak media market, similar talent levels, etc.

    Cleveland and JacksonL.A.? Lol, if we lose out to them.....that says something.
    True. Plus, with just about everything in the NFL, it will come down to money.

  4. #44
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Per GGN:

    http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...ors-tom-gamble

    If so this would be a major upgrade in our front office. No matter if he chooses to keep Ryan or whether Johnson mandates he stay for at least this year, I would love this addition.

    The New York Jets are reportedly high on San Francisco 49ers executive Tom Gamble as the team searches for a new general manager, Albert Breer of the NFL Network reported Tuesday. Per @AlbertBreer

    Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY.

    The Jets fired general manager Mike Tannebaum on Monday after missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year and have begun their search immediately.

    Gamble is the director of player personnel for the 49ers and has spent the past seven years with San Francisco. He was originally hired as the director of pro personnel and was promoted in February of 2011. He has spent 24 years working in the NFL.

    Gamble worked for the Jets earlier in his career for two years, in 1995 and 1996, when he was a quality-control defensive assistant.

    While the Jets maintain a high level of interest, the Jaguars are also interested in Gamble filling their open GM spot and have requested permission to speak with him as well.
    He spent 1995-96 with the Jets, ahhh those were some good times here....

    I honestly don't know much about this guy, but last i checked, the 49ers offense the past 7 season weren't exactly juggernauts.

    pass, no thank you

  5. #45
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    He spent 1995-96 with the Jets, ahhh those were some good times here....

    I honestly don't know much about this guy, but last i checked, the 49ers offense the past 7 season weren't exactly juggernauts.

    pass, no thank you
    Similar situation to us... the quarterback the last 7 seasons hasn't been a juggernaut.

    However, the difference remains that the 49ers FO has made the effort to surround Alex Smith with weapons and talent. The Jets? Not one bit.

  6. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,901
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    This.

    GM and HC openings are there for a reason. There is no perfect situation.
    Correct. Show me a team with a franchise QB, great talent on both sides of the ball, and good cap situation that has an opening at GM?

    Teams with good situations don't fire their GM, they might fire the coach after a dissapointing season (Atlanta if they go 1 and done in the playoffs), but unlikely to clear house.

  7. #47
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Similar situation to us... the quarterback the last 7 seasons hasn't been a juggernaut.

    However, the difference remains that the 49ers FO has made the effort to surround Alex Smith with weapons and talent. The Jets? Not one bit.
    Offensively speaking though, have they? I can't think of one person in that offense i think back at the last 7 years and say, "wow, he's a stud" You wanna give me Vernon Davis? he's fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. Obviously their defensive maneuvers have been pretty solid.....but we already have a defense minded guy who likes to draft defensive players. Give me offense!

  8. #48
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    Offensively speaking though, have they? I can't think of one person in that offense i think back at the last 7 years and say, "wow, he's a stud" You wanna give me Vernon Davis? he's fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. Obviously their defensive maneuvers have been pretty solid.....but we already have a defense minded guy who likes to draft defensive players. Give me offense!
    they have tried at least. gore is a very good back. crabtree is turning into a very good WR. also manningham.

  9. #49
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,901
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    Offensively speaking though, have they? I can't think of one person in that offense i think back at the last 7 years and say, "wow, he's a stud" You wanna give me Vernon Davis? he's fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. Obviously their defensive maneuvers have been pretty solid.....but we already have a defense minded guy who likes to draft defensive players. Give me offense!
    Kaepernik, Gore, Davis, Crabtree are all vastly more talented than anyone on the Jets roster. They have also done a tremendous job of building up their trenches.

  10. #50
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    they have tried at least. gore is a very good back. crabtree is turning into a very good WR. also manningham.
    I agree that they have tried, aside from Gore, those are nice role players. I just don't want to be hasty (james?) here and forget about the fact that the last 2 years with Harbaugh clearly masks the stench of that team's play these past 10 years. I think i saw somewhere that since 2003 they didn't have more than a 7 win season until Harbaugh took over. I think and hope the Jets can do better.

  11. #51
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Kaepernik, Gore, Davis, Crabtree are all vastly more talented than anyone on the Jets roster. They have also done a tremendous job of building up their trenches.
    1 point I tried (and failed) to make was that the 49ers hit on their top 10 pass rusher (Smith) while the Jets missed on theres (Gholston).

    But, I think it was AFCEast who pointed it out, A. Smith was hardly the chalk pick at that point and rather than take Locker or Gabbert when it was clear that they needed a QB, they stuck to their board and took who they felt warranted the pick.

    Good on them.

    Also, even if they missed on Smith, their defense is so talented across the board. Even without Smith, their LB corp could be the best in the game, or very close to it. Unlike the Jets, missing on one player wouldn't set them back significantly. Granted, the Jets defense is still better than average, but it would need the infusion of what Gholston should have brought to be an elite one.

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know a ton about him, but I like the way the Niners built their team and I assume he had a large hand in that. Would seem to be a solid choice.

  13. #53
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Actually, Jacksonville might be a good job---Smaller market, owner who is willing to spend.
    What the Hell does that have to do with anything! There is a salary cap anyway. The Pats and the Steelers don't spend. Does that make them bad jobs to get?

  14. #54
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    northern jersey
    Posts
    3,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    What the Hell does that have to do with anything! There is a salary cap anyway. The Pats and the Steelers don't spend. Does that make them bad jobs to get?
    If you take a job in Jax, rent. 'Cause you might be moving to LA in a year or two. Jets aren't going anywhere.

  15. #55
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Kaepernik, Gore, Davis, Crabtree are all vastly more talented than anyone on the Jets roster. They have also done a tremendous job of building up their trenches.
    They also have the best OL in football. A combination or drafting well and getting Free agents that are Pro Bowlers AFTER they sign them.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Similar situation to us... the quarterback the last 7 seasons hasn't been a juggernaut.

    However, the difference remains that the 49ers FO has made the effort to surround Alex Smith with weapons and talent. The Jets? Not one bit.
    49ers had top draft picks for years. The team jelled when they changed Coaches and they had a team full of talented players for Harbaugh to work with. Jets are lacking years of top draft picks.

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I guess we are going to find out how much truth there is to what some of you posters are claiming...

    I he's a top notch legit GM, then he'll want to hire hi own guy for HC. He wouldn't want Rex as many of the posters here claim. So he would tell Woody Johnson, "If I come here, Rex goes".

    Or if Woody is hell bent on keeping Rex (which I believe he is), Tom Gamble will select the Jaguars or some other to become GM because he wouldn't want to deal with such a sh*tty HC as you claim.

    Now, if Tom Gamble opts to come to the Jets and also decides to stay with Rex Ryan? Then all of you guys are full of sh*t. You will need to STFU and stay that way.

    I believe we'll get a top notch GM and one that will want Rex Ryan. They'll concur with Woody's belief that Rex Ryan is a great HC. It may not be Tom Gamble. After all, the guy appears to have multiple offers coming his way. But someone highly respected will become GM of the Jets and will keep Rex Ryan as the HC.

  18. #58
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    If you take a job in Jax, rent. 'Cause you might be moving to LA in a year or two. Jets aren't going anywhere.
    I'll concede the smaller market as far as media. But smaller market also make a whole lot less too especially Jacksonville. They are starting to look like they have Dan Snider (of a few years ago) part 2. Their owner is starting to meddle also and firing their coach quick indicates impatience. I'll bet the media won't call them dysfunctional nor a circus for getting Tebow neither. They don't need him neither. Most of the perception of the Jets come from the media not fact.

  19. #59
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Huntington, NY
    Posts
    8,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, I guess we are going to find out how much truth there is to what some of you posters are claiming...

    I he's a top notch legit GM, then he'll want to hire hi own guy for HC. He wouldn't want Rex as many of the posters here claim. So he would tell Woody Johnson, "If I come here, Rex goes".

    Or if Woody is hell bent on keeping Rex (which I believe he is), Tom Gamble will select the Jaguars or some other to become GM because he wouldn't want to deal with such a sh*tty HC as you claim.

    Now, if Tom Gamble opts to come to the Jets and also decides to stay with Rex Ryan? Then all of you guys are full of sh*t. You will need to STFU and stay that way.

    I believe we'll get a top notch GM and one that will want Rex Ryan. They'll concur with Woody's belief that Rex Ryan is a great HC. It may not be Tom Gamble. After all, the guy appears to have multiple offers coming his way. But someone highly respected will become GM of the Jets and will keep Rex Ryan as the HC.
    This is what I am thinking. Its not like there are dozens of top HCs to choose from. The new GM may very well like Rex and want to keep him.

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, I guess we are going to find out how much truth there is to what some of you posters are claiming...

    I he's a top notch legit GM, then he'll want to hire hi own guy for HC. He wouldn't want Rex as many of the posters here claim. So he would tell Woody Johnson, "If I come here, Rex goes".

    Or if Woody is hell bent on keeping Rex (which I believe he is), Tom Gamble will select the Jaguars or some other to become GM because he wouldn't want to deal with such a sh*tty HC as you claim.

    Now, if Tom Gamble opts to come to the Jets and also decides to stay with Rex Ryan? Then all of you guys are full of sh*t. You will need to STFU and stay that way.

    I believe we'll get a top notch GM and one that will want Rex Ryan. They'll concur with Woody's belief that Rex Ryan is a great HC. It may not be Tom Gamble. After all, the guy appears to have multiple offers coming his way. But someone highly respected will become GM of the Jets and will keep Rex Ryan as the HC.
    Whoever the new GM is, Rex is one and done. Unless he pulls off one of the greatest coaching seasons in football history and makes the playoffs next year, he's gone.

    I would also expect a different Rex next year if he is retained. A new and improved Rex that keeps his mouth shut and just coaches. One where there will be NO access to assistants, one where here will be no leaks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us