Actually, "sophisticated" folks would turn to the internet to get information. Why you still use a printed newspaper is beyond me. How was Parade magazine this weekend?
Also...quantum previously stated that he did in fact locate his property on a flood map and it was not located in a flood plain area. So, there's that, I suppose....
Obviously I use the internet since I am here. But I also avail myself of newspapers since they ALWAYS contain better coverage of local events and activities. Plus I can afford it. You need to improve your cash inflow PK. LOL.
Don't know in what town Quantum lives. If he got hit in a relatively LOW impact storm then his data was bad.
That's pretty impressive.
Just like Gramps used to say "You kids and your new fangled movable type printers. Everyone knows that there is better information from the town crier"...
That's why it was called an "emergency".Don't know in what town Quantum lives. If he got hit in a relatively LOW impact storm then his data was bad.
EMERGENCY - (\i-ˈmər-jənt-sē\) Noun: an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action
North Baldwin Harbor. 2 blocks over from Parsonage Creek. Out of the flood zone AND on elevated land, and yet - between 4 and 5 ft of water in the street the night of the storm.
So in almost 20 years, no water; then 4-5 ft. I really don't think my lack of flood insurance was unreasonable or "rolling the dice".
Fish - I know your point, just don't agree with it. I still consider myself a fiscal conservative, and I don't think FEMA grants change that. I could be wrong.
It may not be indicated (why I have no clue) but you are in the danger zone.
Doggin and quantum:
After studying the flood map that PK was so nice to reference, I think you are both lucky and got away with your butts intact. LOL.
One tick up on intensity and WHOA!
Spend the money.
You need flood insurance. Luckily, the government has a program for that.
This storm was pushing a huge amount of water into the coast when tides were abnormally high to begin with. A very rare event.
We give aid to people who live in high risk areas all the time. I don't think these people who historically have lived in a low risk area should be denied aid.
I have family who live on the coast in a very low lying area and have flood insurance. They also have their home set up with everything on the second floor. They had a 12' breach of their sea wall, 12' think about that.
Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 01-03-2013 at 02:55 PM.
The Tea Party is a JOKE.
Funny I couldn’t find this video or transcript on Fox News anywhere
and Palmetto: while I agree with a lot of what you post (90%?), the other 10% is the same issue I have with the Republican Party and even the Tea Party. Everything sounds good until it goes just a bit too far.
Is it possible that your objection has anything to do with all this aid going to such a hardcore blue state like NY?
Houses only 2 blocks away from me had 4ft of water in their ground floor rooms, so yes, we were lucky.
Blue State has nothing to do with it. Grew up on LI and have many friends/family there. A NJ guy through my business career. Friends there too.
Has to do with my "take care of it personally" attitude. Where you live means you are not poor. Must do well actually. Doggin I know does well.
I think it is important to anticipate problems and plan for them.
A point was made about Sandy being virtually a "perfect storm". Maybe, but the confluence of several negative weather elements can happen - Katrina, the real "Perfect Storm" in the 90s, and many other events, tornados, earthquakes, fires etc. Where you guys live is nice but close to a calamity area.
I don't begrudge aid. Short term shelter, food and other assistance. EVER.
FEMA should do that plus help with infrastructure. Some people out there had NO insurance. Is that right? Same as auto. Guy wrecks your car, has no insurance. You have only liability since your car is 5 years old. You get screwed - not fair either.
Here's a question:
We all pay federal taxes, and some of us get money from FEMA when a disaster strikes.
We all (?) buy insurance, homeowner's and sometimes flood, and when a disaster strikes, we get money from the insurance company.
Aren't the 2 very similar? Sure, insurance is more of a guarantee, but in both cases, its shared risk, no?