Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: House Scraps Vote on Hurricane Sandy Aid

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    My point. I do not have earthquake insurance. Would not expect NYers to have tornado insurance.
    BUT, on LI and the Jersey Shore YOU HAVE flood insurance. Same with the coastal areas of Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Not in the Bronx or Sussex County NJ.
    LI has had many hurricanes.
    Sure. But even so, there are areas of the South Shore that you would not rationally expect to flood - including, lucky me, the lot my house is on in Oceanside (I'm far enough from water that I didn't get a drop). Those are typically represented by the Federal flood maps, which are scientists best assessments of which homes have a reasonable likelihood of flooding in a worst case scenario. (The maps in Oceanside were eerily accurate, btw - water stopped just about exactly where the flood maps said it would). If you aren't on the flood map - and Quantum said he wasn't - then buying flood insurance is just as irrational and irresponsible as earthquake insurance for you or tornado insurance for me.

Jets Insider VIP
    So odd that the Southern redneck folks get this information and the sophisticated people of the world's capital do not.
    Again, personal responsibility. Know you area and its pitfalls. Be aware of the potential needs - insurance, evacuation routes and shelter, safety and preventitive measures.

Actually, "sophisticated" folks would turn to the internet to get information. Why you still use a printed newspaper is beyond me. How was Parade magazine this weekend?

Also...quantum previously stated that he did in fact locate his property on a flood map and it was not located in a flood plain area. So, there's that, I suppose....

Assume you being facetious as usual since ALL the above exist.
    Each year our newspaper publishes a thorough guide prior to the hurricane season advising EVERYTHING needed to know and prepare. Including topographical maps, probable flood zones etc. Useful for insurance also. And it's FREE.
    Perhaps papers like the NY Times or Newsday could spare some ink from their lib agenda and do something of a public service for a change?
    No kidding. But:

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    My house was not in the FEMA flood zone; never had any water in the house. Sandy's stormsurge resulted in over a foot of water in my basement and garage and another 6-7in in the den. I had no flood insurance, homeowner's insurance covered wind and rain damage only.

We got money from FEMA. Without it, we'd be in a hole. And after years of paying plenty of taxes, I ain't ashamed to say I gladly accepted the help.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Actually, "sophisticated" folks would turn to the internet to get information. Why you still use a printed newspaper is beyond me. How was Parade magazine this weekend?

Also...quantum previously stated that he did in fact locate his property on a flood map and it was not located in a flood plain area. So, there's that, I suppose....

Obviously I use the internet since I am here. But I also avail myself of newspapers since they ALWAYS contain better coverage of local events and activities. Plus I can afford it. You need to improve your cash inflow PK. LOL.

Don't know in what town Quantum lives. If he got hit in a relatively LOW impact storm then his data was bad.

Jets Insider VIP
    Obviously I use the internet since I am here. But I also avail myself of newspapers since they ALWAYS contain better coverage of local events and activities. Plus I can afford it. You need to improve your cash inflow PK. LOL.
    You can afford a newspaper?!?

That's pretty impressive.

Just like Gramps used to say "You kids and your new fangled movable type printers. Everyone knows that there is better information from the town crier"...

Don't know in what town Quantum lives. If he got hit in a relatively LOW impact storm then his data was bad.
    That's why it was called an "emergency".

EMERGENCY - (\i-ˈmər-jənt-sē\) Noun: an unforeseen combination of circumstances or the resulting state that calls for immediate action

Jets Insider VIP
    North Baldwin Harbor. 2 blocks over from Parsonage Creek. Out of the flood zone AND on elevated land, and yet - between 4 and 5 ft of water in the street the night of the storm.

So in almost 20 years, no water; then 4-5 ft. I really don't think my lack of flood insurance was unreasonable or "rolling the dice".

Fish - I know your point, just don't agree with it. I still consider myself a fiscal conservative, and I don't think FEMA grants change that. I could be wrong.

North Baldwin Harbor. 2 blocks over from Parsonage Creek. Out of the flood zone AND on elevated land, and yet - between 4 and 5 ft of water in the street the night of the storm.

So in almost 20 years, no water; then 4-5 ft. I really don't think my lack of flood insurance was unreasonable or "rolling the dice".

Fish - I know your point, just don't agree with it. I still consider myself a fiscal conservative, and I don't think FEMA grants change that. I could be wrong.
    Don't mean to be a pain, but know the area a bit. You used two magic words - Harbor and creek. Hey, we have harbors and rivers here. It's been 23+ years, BUT it will happen. And Sandy was "only" a cat 2.
    It may not be indicated (why I have no clue) but you are in the danger zone.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Sure. But even so, there are areas of the South Shore that you would not rationally expect to flood - including, lucky me, the lot my house is on in Oceanside (I'm far enough from water that I didn't get a drop). Those are typically represented by the Federal flood maps, which are scientists best assessments of which homes have a reasonable likelihood of flooding in a worst case scenario. (The maps in Oceanside were eerily accurate, btw - water stopped just about exactly where the flood maps said it would). If you aren't on the flood map - and Quantum said he wasn't - then buying flood insurance is just as irrational and irresponsible as earthquake insurance for you or tornado insurance for me.
    As I noted with Quantum: YOU are playing with fire. Oceanside is close. Sandy was only a 2. If a cat 3, doggin would be using pumps and buckets.
    You're a lawyer for God's sake, you can afford insurance needed.

Doggin and quantum:
    After studying the flood map that PK was so nice to reference, I think you are both lucky and got away with your butts intact. LOL.
    One tick up on intensity and WHOA!
    Spend the money.

Jets Insider VIP
    See guys.

You need flood insurance. Luckily, the government has a program for that.

Don't mean to be a pain, but know the area a bit. You used two magic words - Harbor and creek. Hey, we have harbors and rivers here. It's been 23+ years, BUT it will happen. And Sandy was "only" a cat 2.
    It may not be indicated (why I have no clue) but you are in the danger zone.
    The wind speed wasn't the problem with Sandy. Sandy was only a cat 2 but it was an enormous storm that was pushing a huge amount of Ocean water and hit into this area through 2 moon high tides. A smaller tighter storm that was better formed and had more wind may well have done less damage?

This storm was pushing a huge amount of water into the coast when tides were abnormally high to begin with. A very rare event.

We give aid to people who live in high risk areas all the time. I don't think these people who historically have lived in a low risk area should be denied aid.

I have family who live on the coast in a very low lying area and have flood insurance. They also have their home set up with everything on the second floor. They had a 12' breach of their sea wall, 12' think about that.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 01-03-2013 at 02:55 PM.

As I noted with Quantum: YOU are playing with fire. Oceanside is close. Sandy was only a 2. If a cat 3, doggin would be using pumps and buckets.
    You're a lawyer for God's sake, you can afford insurance needed.
    Palmetto - I also grew up in Miami, so I know a bit about hurricanes. The size of storm surge isn't really tied to the category of hurricane (it's no longer part of the Saffir scale). More, Sandy was a generational storm because of the confluence of events: Huge storm (in size), absurdly slow moving, mixing with a cold front, hitting at high tide. Bottom line, if you didn't get water in Sandy, you're not going to flood.

quantum, you're a friend and a fellow Jets Fan.

Good luck with the rebuild and recovery, truly.

The Tea Party is a JOKE.

Funny I couldn’t find this video or transcript on Fox News anywhere

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    quantum, you're a friend and a fellow Jets Fan.

Good luck with the rebuild and recovery, truly.
    thank you sir.

and Palmetto: while I agree with a lot of what you post (90%?), the other 10% is the same issue I have with the Republican Party and even the Tea Party. Everything sounds good until it goes just a bit too far.

Is it possible that your objection has anything to do with all this aid going to such a hardcore blue state like NY?

Jets Insider VIP
    Doggin and quantum:
    After studying the flood map that PK was so nice to reference, I think you are both lucky and got away with your butts intact. LOL.
    One tick up on intensity and WHOA!
    Spend the money.
    The map doesn't even tell the entire story. The creek, even at high tide, is about 8 ft below street level, and is (I think) about a half mile inland from the bay.

Houses only 2 blocks away from me had 4ft of water in their ground floor rooms, so yes, we were lucky.

thank you sir.

and Palmetto: while I agree with a lot of what you post (90%?), the other 10% is the same issue I have with the Republican Party and even the Tea Party. Everything sounds good until it goes just a bit too far.

Is it possible that your objection has anything to do with all this aid going to such a hardcore blue state like NY?

Blue State has nothing to do with it. Grew up on LI and have many friends/family there. A NJ guy through my business career. Friends there too.
    Has to do with my "take care of it personally" attitude. Where you live means you are not poor. Must do well actually. Doggin I know does well.
    I think it is important to anticipate problems and plan for them.
    A point was made about Sandy being virtually a "perfect storm". Maybe, but the confluence of several negative weather elements can happen - Katrina, the real "Perfect Storm" in the 90s, and many other events, tornados, earthquakes, fires etc. Where you guys live is nice but close to a calamity area.
    I don't begrudge aid. Short term shelter, food and other assistance. EVER.
    FEMA should do that plus help with infrastructure. Some people out there had NO insurance. Is that right? Same as auto. Guy wrecks your car, has no insurance. You have only liability since your car is 5 years old. You get screwed - not fair either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's a question:

We all pay federal taxes, and some of us get money from FEMA when a disaster strikes.

We all (?) buy insurance, homeowner's and sometimes flood, and when a disaster strikes, we get money from the insurance company.

Aren't the 2 very similar? Sure, insurance is more of a guarantee, but in both cases, its shared risk, no?