Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: House Scraps Vote on Hurricane Sandy Aid

Jets Insider VIP

Thumbs down House Scraps Vote on Hurricane Sandy Aid

Question borne out of my own ignorence:

Homeowners and businesses affected by Sandy assumedly had homeowner/business insurance, right? Covers the cost of damages and repairs, generally?

If so, what is the aid for, exactly?

I've never been in a mass-natural-disaster myself, only personal disasters like house fires and the like, and I've never gotten aid of any kind. So I'm just curious what the aid is intended for specificly, what the purpose of it is, and how/who qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Homeowners and businesses affected by Sandy assumedly had homeowner/business insurance, right? Covers the cost of damages and repairs, generally?

If so, what is the aid for, exactly?

I've never been in a mass-natural-disaster myself, only personal disasters like house fires and the like, and I've never gotten aid of any kind. So I'm just curious what the aid is intended for specificly, what the purpose of it is, and how/who qualifies.

If the aid is destined for destroyed infrastructure, that's ok.
    Personal property should be protected by insurance. Choose not to have insurance? You lose, tough.
    BTW, a substantial portion of funds in this bill was for pork from Alaska to Hawaii and cars for the Secret Service. More nonsense.

After the fiscal cliff fiasco, with no spending cuts at all, the non vote may have also been a message.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    If the aid is destined for destroyed infrastructure, that's ok.
    Personal property should be protected by insurance. Choose not to have insurance? You lose, tough.
    BTW, a substantial portion of funds in this bill was for pork from Alaska to Hawaii and cars for the Secret Service. More nonsense.

After the fiscal cliff fiasco, with no spending cuts at all, the non vote may have also been a message.
    My house was not in the FEMA flood zone; never had any water in the house. Sandy's stormsurge resulted in over a foot of water in my basement and garage and another 6-7in in the den. I had no flood insurance, homeowner's insurance covered wind and rain damage only.

We got money from FEMA. Without it, we'd be in a hole. And after years of paying plenty of taxes, I ain't ashamed to say I gladly accepted the help.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    My house was not in the FEMA flood zone; never had any water in the house. Sandy's stormsurge resulted in over a foot of water in my basement and garage and another 6-7in in the den. I had no flood insurance, homeowner's insurance covered wind and rain damage only.

We got money from FEMA. Without it, we'd be in a hole. And after years of paying plenty of taxes, I ain't ashamed to say I gladly accepted the help.

I live in an "alleged" flood area in Charleston SC. Hasn't been a serious hurricane since 1989. Moved here in 06.
    I have insurance which covers wind, flood and someone drowning in the neighborhhood pond (HOA- has some too).
    I own a home. I take measures to protect it. MY RESPONSIBILITY. We need to spend less on fun and games and more on necessities. Insurance is a necessity. Health, home (several levels), auto, life, casualty, long term care, etc.
    Your taxes should go for protection via police, fire dept., ambulance and infrastructure. Sorry - what YOU own is YOUR business, not mine.

I know someone who had flood insurance, took 8 feet of water in their home which completely shifted the house on the foundation making it uninhabitable, and they are "in good hands" with their particular insurance company. To date since the storm they have received a check for $10.47 to cover the cost of paint in their estimated disclosure to paint the walls in the house. The irony is if they didn't have flood insurance FEMA would have paid them already as quantum mentioned above.

The whole community has a vested interest in the cleanup and rebuilding process. Houses in disarray, garbage on lawns, shops out of business all hurt property values, hurts the ability to collect taxes on the property, etc etc etc...

Hall Of Fame

Just curious as to how much FEMA paid vs. what Flood Insurance would have paid? I think the max FEMA pays is $35K for an individual homeowner? Flood Insurance pays up to $250K.

Jets Insider VIP
    I live in an "alleged" flood area in Charleston SC. Hasn't been a serious hurricane since 1989. Moved here in 06.
    I have insurance which covers wind, flood and someone drowning in the neighborhhood pond (HOA- has some too).
    I own a home. I take measures to protect it. MY RESPONSIBILITY. We need to spend less on fun and games and more on necessities. Insurance is a necessity. Health, home (several levels), auto, life, casualty, long term care, etc.
    Your taxes should go for protection via police, fire dept., ambulance and infrastructure. Sorry - what YOU own is YOUR business, not mine.
    Good for you.

I'm sure Quantum will offer his condolences and not judge you when a hurricane eventually levels your town.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Good for you.

I'm sure Quantum will offer his condolences and not judge you when a hurricane eventually levels your town.

Actually, Hugo wrecked Charleston and the surrounding environs in 1989.
    Those with insurance - just fine except for the deductable.
    Those without or insufficient insurance? A lesson they will not forget.

If you live in a flood plain, earthquake zone, hurricane prone area or tornado alley, insurance is available for any and all of those calamities. Failure to take proper measures is foolhardy.

Am I being a SOB on this topic? Maybe. But why is it always necessary to pay a ton of money for those who choose to negelect their OWN welfare? Instead of that new truck with $3000 custom wheels as an option or the new 80" TV, spend wisely on that which is critical. Priorities.

The lesson appears to be to be killed or demaged only in large-scale events, 9-11, Sandy, Katrina, etc.

In that spot, you're great, Govt. takes care of you.

Just have your House burn down or a Storm destroy just your house or the like, best of luck, you're on your own.

What is it about size that suddenly makes an event a public responsabillity?

Jets Insider VIP
    Instead of that new truck with $3000 custom wheels as an option or the new 80" TV, spend wisely on that which is critical. Priorities.
    Are you assuming that this is what Quantum has done?

Are you assuming that this is what Quantum has done?

Here's what I DO know from his quote: he lives on LI in a house and had NO flood insurance. (I grew up omn LI so I know it). That's ok (maybe) if you live in a higher elevation down the center of the Island. South Shore (heavily populated) you're looking for trouble without insurance.
    How does Quantum spend his money? Don't know. But I'll bet he has enough to afford incremental flood insurance. He gambled and lost. Or didn't think about flood insurance (doubtful, he seems smarter than that in his writing).

All League

When Sandy was downgraded from a hurricane to a super-storm it meant you were no longer covered by your hurricane insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    When Sandy was downgraded from a hurricane to a super-storm it meant you were no longer covered by your hurricane insurance.

Maybe with a crappy insurance company.
    My insurance is with Liberty Mutual. If it is a named storm regardless of size - you are covered. Flood is extra.
    Like anything else in life you have to do research and know what you are buying. Same with any insurance - what's covered, what's not.
    You go cheap, you get screwed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's what I DO know from his quote: he lives on LI in a house and had NO flood insurance. (I grew up omn LI so I know it). That's ok (maybe) if you live in a higher elevation down the center of the Island. South Shore (heavily populated) you're looking for trouble without insurance.
    How does Quantum spend his money? Don't know. But I'll bet he has enough to afford incremental flood insurance. He gambled and lost. Or didn't think about flood insurance (doubtful, he seems smarter than that in his writing).
    Just stop.

Jets Insider VIP
    I never thought we needed flood insurance. TBH, not sure I still do. This was a freak storm that combined with a nor'easter, high altitude jetstreams, and high tide.

Maybe I should get asteroid insurance also, cuz, ya never know, right? Is that a good way to spend money?

Sarcasm aside, NY is one of those states that sends more money to DC than it gets back. I never begrudged federal aid to midwest states hit by tornadoes, or New Orleans because of Katrina. **** happens.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican, slammed his own party.

"The Republican Party has said it's the party of 'family values.' Last night, it turned its back on the most essential value of all, and that's to provide food, shelter, clothing and relief for people who have been hit by a natural disaster," King said in an interview with CNN.

King told CNN he chased Boehner "all over the House last night" and that Boehner had said everything would be taken care of after the vote on the fiscal cliff. But Boehner left.

"He wouldn't tell us why. He just decided to sneak off in the dark of night."
    King called the House leadership's move a "knife in the back."

"Anyone from New York or New Jersey who contributes one penny to the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee should have their head examined," King said. It's very rare for a lawmaker to call on anyone not to support his own party.

The No. 2 House Republican, Majority Leader Eric Cantor, had guaranteed a vote on the package, King said.
    The old GOP is deader than a doornail.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum
    Maybe I should get asteroid insurance also, cuz, ya never know, right? Is that a good way to spend money?
    A lot of home policies cover stuff falling on your house...asteroids and meteorites included.

But water? NAH. NOT covering flooding is how they make quite a bit of $$$
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-02-2013 at 04:09 PM.

I never thought we needed flood insurance. TBH, not sure I still do. This was a freak storm that combined with a nor'easter, high altitude jetstreams, and high tide.

Sarcasm aside, NY is one of those states that sends more money to DC than it gets back. I never begrudged federal aid to midwest states hit by tornadoes, or New Orleans because of Katrina. **** happens.
    **** does happen, but we're very selective and preferential as to whom we make whole with our collective taxpayer dollars.

I feel for your flooding. I feel for my Grandma too, on Long Island. My Uncles and Cousins.

But do I owe you getting it fixed, when you could have had insurence but choose not too?

It's not personal, it's a larger question, is there no personal accountabillity to be involved? You choose where to live, what to live in and how to insure it, and as you say, **** happened.

Same as, for example, **** happened to me and my neighbors poorly disposed of cigarette burning my house down. Of course, proving that in the ol' court of law is alot harder than proving it enough to convince a fire marshal.

Sandy victims will be made whole by their fellow taxpayers.

I got the fire put out and some yellow tape on my door.

I pay taxes too. I live in a State, and specificly a region, that pays a **** load more in than it gets back. I got piss all.

A Sandy victim could get hundreds of thousands recouped.

Forgive me if I wonder if thats what folks had in mind when they use the word "fairness".

Jets Insider VIP
    **** does happen, but we're very selective and preferential as to whom we make whole with our collective taxpayer dollars.

I feel for your flooding. I feel for my Grandma too, on Long Island. My Uncles and Cousins.

But do I owe you getting it fixed, when you could have had insurence but choose not too?

It's not personal, it's a larger question, is there no personal accountabillity to be involved? You choose where to live, what to live in and how to insure it, and as you say, **** happened.

Same as, for example, **** happened to me and my neighbors poorly disposed of cigarette burning my house down. Of course, proving that in the ol' court of law is alot harder than proving it enough to convince a fire marshal.

Sandy victims will be made whole by their fellow taxpayers.

I got the fire put out and some yellow tape on my door.

I pay taxes too. I live in a State, and specificly a region, that pays a **** load more in than it gets back. I got piss all.

A Sandy victim could get hundreds of thousands recouped.

Forgive me if I wonder if thats what folks had in mind when they use the word "fairness".
    Another "story" of I feels you bro...but I'm awesome and did all of the stuff on my own, put out a fire with my bare hands and are tough.

And just so everyone here knows...anytime you get emergency help during a natural disaster, it was Warfish who personally paid for it. It's like like quantum or anyone else in the disaster area have also paid taxes. Just Fish.

Sent from a phone using an app
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 01-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Another "story" of I feels you bro...but I'm awesome and did all of the stuff on my own, put out a fire with my bare hands and are tough.

Sent from a phone using an app
    You're so kind PK.

Don't hate on me because it's true (well, not the put it out part, that was the local Volunteer Fire dept.). I assure you, if I could have gotten all my costs paid by the taxpayer, I would have accepted it gladly.

I won't feel bad because I have worked for what I have, and paid my own way all the way, despite every effort of the State to get in my way or give others advantages I did not get. Nor will I allow your lecture make me feel bad in any way for having done so.

Happily, I was smart enough to have insurance, and it covered a good portion of my losses.

I guess since you have "story" in quotes, you're calling me a liar now as well? Just think, we used to be friendly.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-02-2013 at 05:02 PM.