View Poll Results: What position do you take at #9?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

    11 9.91%
  • OL

    34 30.63%
  • WR/TE

    7 6.31%
  • RB

    3 2.70%
  • DL

    3 2.70%
  • LB

    44 39.64%
  • DB

    0 0%
  • other

    9 8.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81

Thread: what position should the Jets target at pick #9?

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on who the new GM will be and what he thinks about Rex. If the new GM doesnt see Rex lasting past next season then I dont think you will see a defensive player who fits Rex's specific system picked. I think they look at O line and hope maybe a Lewan slips down to them.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,785
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You don't take an OG over an edge rusher. You might take a LT but we have one. Howard actually made a lot of improvement over the year too. Our biggest problems in pass protection are actually at TE, and RB anyway. That and the QBs. I would use a 2nd if a good lineman falls to us then I would use multiple picks later on hoping to hit on one.
    I can't say I completely disagree with this. If there is some good talent that appears to be available in the early second, I wouldn't mind grabbing a hell-on-wheels edge rusher, if still avail. @9.

  3. #23
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the Jets have their full number of picks.
    Priorities, by round:
    OLB
    QB (even IF they keep Sanchez)
    OL
    TE (Keller stinks)
    OL
    LB (versatile one)
    BPA

    Not enough slots to fill all needs - another S, another RB, FB.
    CB is set if Revis is ok. WR is not bad at all if Holmes is back along with Edwards and Kerley.

    All in the team's culture. One hopefully without Rex if Woody has the courage to pay out the contract.

  4. #24
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Can you make "Trade pick for pick next year" an option?

    Two first rounders next year could yield a trade up for Clowney, Bridgewater, or Manziel.
    Don't worry, no need to trade picks, i have a feeling we'll be picking in the top 10 next year too. This is gonna get worse before it gets better.....

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Best Player Available regardless of position.
    We are a bad team. We need help everywhere.
    That's crazy. Okay let take a CB, a center, or a dlineman. You also don't pick safety, FB, OG, that high in the 1st round. Basically QB, LT, and edge rushers are much more important than the other spots. There are no QBs available this year and there are a lot of good edge rushers. Do the math. BPA works in later rounds, and we do have a good idea of the players that will be available.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddtoBarkum1615 View Post
    Don't worry, no need to trade picks, i have a feeling we'll be picking in the top 10 next year too. This is gonna get worse before it gets better.....
    Nah, even with the worst possible QB play, Rex's defense gets you at least 6 wins. Especially with Revis coming back.


    And I would absolutely not draft a guard in the first round. You have to cheap out at some positions and our offensive line was pretty solid this year regardless of what some people think. PFF clearly had that as the case and they have no bias.

    Needs are absolutely:

    1. QB - Not a lot here, but the way I look at it is that there will be at least one good starting QB coming out of this draft, so we have to find that guy
    2. OLB - Pass rusher from the outside is huge. With Coples and Wilkerson, we have two great guys on the inside.
    3. Skill position outside of RB.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must take an offensive player in the first two rounds.

    Sure an OLB would help but the defense is serviceable. The offense is putrid and needs a lot more help. We need to take offensive players ONLY.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Nah, even with the worst possible QB play, Rex's defense gets you at least 6 wins. Especially with Revis coming back.


    And I would absolutely not draft a guard in the first round. You have to cheap out at some positions and our offensive line was pretty solid this year regardless of what some people think. PFF clearly had that as the case and they have no bias.

    Needs are absolutely:

    1. QB - Not a lot here, but the way I look at it is that there will be at least one good starting QB coming out of this draft, so we have to find that guy
    2. OLB - Pass rusher from the outside is huge. With Coples and Wilkerson, we have two great guys on the inside.
    3. Skill position outside of RB.
    I really think a good qb, along with playcalling would improve the caliber of the offensive players immensely. Sanchez is horrible at making adjustments, and teams have figured that out so they constantly blitz us from the outside where Mangold can't see. I hope we get Matt Moore, and draft that good starting QB later in the draft.

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,377
    Post Thanks / Like
    OL or 34 OLB/43 DE. Depends on who's the BPA at those positions when we're on the block.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Must take an offensive player in the first two rounds.

    Sure an OLB would help but the defense is serviceable. The offense is putrid and needs a lot more help. We need to take offensive players ONLY.
    This line of thinking gets you 2nd tier players in the long run. You try and match need with value but to ignore value for need means that 3 years from now you look at Demarcus Ware being a terror as you rationalize your troy williamson pick.

    I think we all agree we need offensive help and a person can slant the draft that way but the 1st two rounds should be where need meets best player.

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I'd be pretty happy if we ended up with Warmack.
    Yeah, me too but he may go before we get a chance. At 9 we may get lucky and get him but I'd say 25% .

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Must take an offensive player in the first two rounds.

    Sure an OLB would help but the defense is serviceable. The offense is putrid and needs a lot more help. We need to take offensive players ONLY.
    The offense is bad because we have no QB. You can't just need a good QB so then there is one available. An edge rusher makes the defense great again. I wish there was a great QB to take. I would say move heaven and earth to trade up to get him, but there just isn't one.

  13. #33
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'll be enraged if we take an olineman or QB at 9.
    Why?

    Both Moore and Slauson are set to hit the market and Howard is mediocre at best.

    A guy like Warmack is basically a guaranteed stud and an ever better OG prospect than DeCastro was last year.

    If Damontre Moore and Jarvis Jones are off the board, I'm not reaching for an OLB if the value isn't there.

    I'd personally rather have Warmack in Round 1 and someone like Brandon Jenkins in Round 2 instead of someone like Jordan or Mingo in the 1st.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    7,239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Yeah, me too but he may go before we get a chance. At 9 we may get lucky and get him but I'd say 25% .
    I dont think you have to worry about a guard not being available at 9.

    Only OL I think wont be available at 9 is Joeckel and maybe Lewan.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Did you read the very first sentence?
    Yes I did.
    I stand by my answer.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The offense is bad because we have no QB. You can't just need a good QB so then there is one available. An edge rusher makes the defense great again. I wish there was a great QB to take. I would say move heaven and earth to trade up to get him, but there just isn't one.
    It's not JUST the QB. The offense is devoid of talent across the board. Whomever will be playing QB for the Jets next season, and into the future, will need talent to succeed.

    You make it seem like just because there isn't a QB to take at 9 it's simply not worth making the offense better.

    At some point we're going to need a quality QB to win and that QB is going to need weapons.

  17. #37
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    122
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it has to be offense, likely even offense in the first 3 picks. Specifically, we need skill position players on offense. With that being said, I think it is o-line with pick 1 and then the skill positions with picks 2/3

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That's crazy. Okay let take a CB, a center, or a dlineman. You also don't pick safety, FB, OG, that high in the 1st round. Basically QB, LT, and edge rushers are much more important than the other spots. There are no QBs available this year and there are a lot of good edge rushers. Do the math. BPA works in later rounds, and we do have a good idea of the players that will be available.
    If the BPA at # 9 is a FB you take him
    If the BPA at # 9 is a OG you take him.
    You do not take a QB at #9 if he grades out at low 1st round because its a bigger position of need or is "more important" position.

    I agree that OLB is a bigger position of need. But you dont take an OLB at #9 if you have an OG who grades higher and is a safer pick whos likely to play at a Pro Bowl level year in and year out

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Why?

    Both Moore and Slauson are set to hit the market and Howard is mediocre at best.

    A guy like Warmack is basically a guaranteed stud and an ever better OG prospect than DeCastro was last year.

    If Damontre Moore and Jarvis Jones are off the board, I'm not reaching for an OLB if the value isn't there.

    I'd personally rather have Warmack in Round 1 and someone like Brandon Jenkins in Round 2 instead of someone like Jordan or Mingo in the 1st.
    Every year there is a Decastro like prospect that people drool over and he comes in and may be good but is not lights out. Neither Moore nor Slauson have been world beaters the last few years but have been serviceable. no way i use a high pick on a RT.

    I simply don't think that at 9 that a non LT will be the best player there for us. Hey I'm all for having a strong oline but we have enough holes on this team that I can't see oline being above other ones for a top 10 pick.

    If we traded down I would not be opposed to using our 1st pick in the draft on an olineman.

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    I dont think you have to worry about a guard not being available at 9.

    Only OL I think wont be available at 9 is Joeckel and maybe Lewan.
    Scott Wright rated him #3 ei., http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

    Usually they end up in the second round but this guy seems to be the exception.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us