View Poll Results: What position do you take at #9?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

11 9.91%
  • OL

34 30.63%
  • WR/TE

7 6.31%
  • RB

3 2.70%
  • DL

3 2.70%
  • LB

44 39.64%
  • DB

0 0%
  • other

9 8.11%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what position should the Jets target at pick #9?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB or trade back. If Geno or Barkley are on the board at 9 I'll be parting like a kid again. Bring hope back to the Meadowlands please.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Barkley
    If they draft another USC QB I am done with the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BPA....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Barkley but I'm no evaluator. He was the #1 HS QB for a reason. He played on a USC team with sanctions including no bowl appearances till this season and he didn't transfer. His shoulder injury should drop him to #9.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I would take Barkley but I'm no evaluator. He was the #1 HS QB for a reason.
    So was Sanchez

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So was Sanchez
    I don't recall Sanchez having a prolific HS career but if you say so I can't argue with his pro results. Sanchez didn't play a lot of college ball and was on a good USC team so I don't see the comparison.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OLB...

The biggest offseason signing for the Jets needs to be Laron Landry. With Revis-Cro-Wilson...the resigning of Landry will allow the secondary to be once again one of the best in the league. A dominant one.

You have both Mo and Couples coming on strong, to anchor the DL for years to come.

What the Jets don't have is a dominating impact player at the OLB position. If the Jets can land that type of player with the 9th pick of the draft. Then Jets can have a very good defense. One that can be a dominating one.

IMO...it is important to be able to be dominant at least on one side of the ball. Jets are closer to doing that on defense.

And lets face it...Jets are right now very far away from even putting a credible offense on the field.

OLB is my first choice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    OLB...

The biggest offseason signing for the Jets needs to be Laron Landry. With Revis-Cro-Wilson...the resigning of Landry will allow the secondary to be once again one of the best in the league. A dominant one.
    With Revis and an improved Antonio Landry could be scarier than this season! Thing is I could see Landry not resigning if they low ball him which I can see happening with the transition of the new guy...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    at this point i'd settle for anything other than a wasted draft pick BUST

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass rusher.

De or olb doesnt really matter, we use 4 DL a lot anyway.

Werner/Jones- Ellis- Mo- Coples

could be a sick d-line in 2 years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OLB should be the biggest target, since there are a lot of good prospects and what may be legitimate game-changers. OT only if a great prospect drops. No value in RB or WR. DL and CB not enough of a need.

QB I'd say no barring Geno Smith falling to us. We'd have to consider him in my opinion (although I understand he isn't can't-miss). I can't see another guy worth taking at #9.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    Pass rusher.

De or olb doesnt really matter, we use 4 DL a lot anyway.

Werner/Jones- Ellis- Mo- Coples

could be a sick d-line in 2 years.
    4-3 DE is Coples worst position. Mo and Coples are better suited for 3-4 DE/DT
    And who are our LBs in the 4-3? Davis and who else? David Harris is slow as molasses and couldnt play 4-3 MLB.

Changing to a 4-3 base D would be a huge mistake.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    If the BPA at # 9 is a FB you take him
    If the BPA at # 9 is a OG you take him.
    You do not take a QB at #9 if he grades out at low 1st round because its a bigger position of need or is "more important" position.

I agree that OLB is a bigger position of need. But you dont take an OLB at #9 if you have an OG who grades higher and is a safer pick whos likely to play at a Pro Bowl level year in and year out
    A FB will never be taken in the first round. Step away from the computer.

Maybe we should take a Kicker at #9?

BPA sounds nice in theory, but the board will always be weighed with team needs and fit. For example, if the best player available is an OG with a 94 grade, but the next player is an OLB with a 92 grade, you take the OLB in our situation. Unless its like a 98 vs a 90, the pass rusher will always be the pick if you need both.
    Last edited by Gastineau99; 01-02-2013 at 04:15 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And who are our LBs in the 4-3? Davis and who else? David Harris is slow as molasses and couldnt play 4-3 MLB.

We fit the 4-3 as well as we do the 3-4.

In the 3-4 we have no OLB's. In the 4-3 we have no DE's and one hole at OLB - Davis can transition to an OLB spot.

Really aren't far off either way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think coples, mo, and ellis are better suited in s 4-3. coples plays outside on 1st down and slides inside on passing downs, big mo see less double teams as the UT. and im not sure if ellis is a true 3-4 nose.

Finding a couple lbs that can run a little and play in space isnt that hard. After we cut pace we'll have no 3-4 olbs on the roster, and those are hard to find.
    Last edited by New Jerzey Jet; 01-02-2013 at 04:35 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    QB or trade back. If Geno or Barkley are on the board at 9 I'll be parting like a kid again. Bring hope back to the Meadowlands please.
    If the Jets take Barkley you're more than welcome to my seats for the next three or four years until he's gone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    So was Sanchez
    So was Booty what is your point? Just because they are a 5 star HS recruit for college it doesn't mean they project as a pro as well. Sanchez was a BU in college that only started 1 year and didn't even look that good IMO. Booty looked better and he was a late rounder I think. I never understood why this team wanted him. He was a project QB we reached on based on ability. His workouts weren't even that good by all accounts. Barkley is a legit pro prospect that doesn't need a lot of coaching. The best to ever come out of USC in fact. He is not Mark Sanchez he is an actual leader and someone that can out think Ds. All this Barkley hate is stupid. I hate USC QB but for Barkley I'll make an exception because he looks like a rare talent. If we got him at 9 I'd consider that a bargain. He would have went #2 overall last year or 1 the year prior. This is not some kid riding a one year flash season in college.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If the Jets take Barkley you're more than welcome to my seats for the next three or four years until he's gone.
    Try 10-16 he is going to have a good career and you can book it. If your giving them away I'll take em. With a QB like that at the helm I'd be happy as heck to finally get a QB worth drafting with a 1st.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    How is LB leading this poll? 31st ranked offense and people want more 1st round picks devoted to defense? Insanity.

Jets need to go BAOP (best available offensive player)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    How is LB leading this poll? 31st ranked offense and people want more 1st round picks devoted to defense? Insanity.

Jets need to go BAOP (best available offensive player)
    Because the main position that the Jets need offensively is QB and there doesn't look to be a great option there. WR isn't a gigantic need... Holmes is a 1/2, Hill was a high pick and is back. Braylon is back as well and we aren't going to do much better than Kerley as a number 3 receiver. RB is a need but NEVER go running back that early in the draft. OL isn't a huge need, we played solid there. TE is another need but that's another position you don't draft that early.

And I'm not a huge fan of Barkley either but ruling him out because he plays for USC is retarded.