Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: What position do you take at #9?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB

11 9.91%
  • OL

34 30.63%
  • WR/TE

7 6.31%
  • RB

3 2.70%
  • DL

3 2.70%
  • LB

44 39.64%
  • DB

0 0%
  • other

9 8.11%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what position should the Jets target at pick #9?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    4-3 DE is Coples worst position. Mo and Coples are better suited for 3-4 DE/DT
    And who are our LBs in the 4-3? Davis and who else? David Harris is slow as molasses and couldnt play 4-3 MLB.

Changing to a 4-3 base D would be a huge mistake.
    I 100% disagree. Lets take our two best play makers on the D line and stick them in a scheme that minimizes their pass rushing abilities. That being 3-4 DE who's primarily job is to control the line or the gap and then pass rush or control the line and let your 3-4 olbs rush the passer. I'd like to see Coples at DE and the odd bit of DT like he did in college and let Wilkerson be a disruptive 4-3 DT. If we keep guys like Coples and Wilkerson in the 3-4 you will get some strong play but Shaun ellis like 6 sack seasons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I 100% disagree. Lets take our two best play makers on the D line and stick them in a scheme that minimizes their pass rushing abilities. That being 3-4 DE who's primarily job is to control the line or the gap and then pass rush or control the line and let your 3-4 olbs rush the passer. I'd like to see Coples at DE and the odd bit of DT like he did in college and let Wilkerson be a disruptive 4-3 DT. If we keep guys like Coples and Wilkerson in the 3-4 you will get some strong play but Shaun ellis like 6 sack seasons.
    You guys overrate the difference between this 3-4 and a 4-3. This is not the Patriots 3-4 where it is purely 2-gapping and just taking on blockers. It's more aggressive and penetrating than that.

Pass rushing is about rushing the passer on passing downs either way... When it's passing downs, they'll be matched up against a guy they have to beat. One of them can be doubled, but that's it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think- OLB, then..... OL, TE, OL

That's the way to go. Bring in Matt Moore and another vet and all compete with McElroy. Then draft QB next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    So was Booty what is your point? Just because they are a 5 star HS recruit for college it doesn't mean they project as a pro as well. Sanchez was a BU in college that only started 1 year and didn't even look that good IMO. Booty looked better and he was a late rounder I think. I never understood why this team wanted him. He was a project QB we reached on based on ability. His workouts weren't even that good by all accounts. Barkley is a legit pro prospect that doesn't need a lot of coaching. The best to ever come out of USC in fact. He is not Mark Sanchez he is an actual leader and someone that can out think Ds. All this Barkley hate is stupid. I hate USC QB but for Barkley I'll make an exception because he looks like a rare talent. If we got him at 9 I'd consider that a bargain. He would have went #2 overall last year or 1 the year prior. This is not some kid riding a one year flash season in college.
    I agree the hate is narrow minded to say the least.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

trade up in second round

Skilled player (baa)
    draft a Qb prospect round 4-6(1)
    filling all other draft picks with baa

Note -fa may have an experienced Qb (Palmer) available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    I think- OLB, then..... OL, TE, OL

That's the way to go. Bring in Matt Moore and another vet and all compete with McElroy. Then draft QB next year.
    Next years QBs are piss poor too. If you want a new QB this one looks much better. Get it over now and stop overpaying for crap temp fixes at QB. Best case you get a franchise QB at worst in 3 years someone better may actually be there. Either way the only way you are going to get a viable QB at a good cap rate is in the draft. Moore and McEnutts the Cancer fighting to start is not an answer.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pace and Thomas are older than dust.

Scott is on his way out.

DeMario Davis is ascending and has not nearly met his ceiling. I have no doubts he will in a year or two.

Garrett McIntyre is OK. Not a superstar.

Harris is excellent, but that makes one.

Best OLB available, preferably one who can help to cover a TE or a slot WR.

I'd prefer one who spent his college days playing OLB so that its not another DE trying to learn the position when the NFL game is twice as fast.

If I had to choose another, I'd pick OG or OT. Howard/Slauson aren't the long term answer. Ducasse isn't very bright and is about to be inserted into a new system.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted LB but I think they trade down.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJoe View Post
    Pace and Thomas are older than dust.

Scott is on his way out.

DeMario Davis is ascending and has not nearly met his ceiling. I have no doubts he will in a year or two.

Garrett McIntyre is OK. Not a superstar.

Harris is excellent, but that makes one.

Best OLB available, preferably one who can help to cover a TE or a slot WR.

I'd prefer one who spent his college days playing OLB so that its not another DE trying to learn the position when the NFL game is twice as fast.

If I had to choose another, I'd pick OG or OT. Howard/Slauson aren't the long term answer. Ducasse isn't very bright and is about to be inserted into a new system.
    Harris is excelent? as a run stuffer, yeah-but his coverage skills for a ILB leave a lot to be desired.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    Pass rushing OLB
    Demon pas rusher OLB or stud RB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade backwards this draft really doesnt have a cant miss top 10 prospect.Its a very deep draft with great talent but nothing thats a top 10 level prospect. Trade back and get some 2nd round picks and maybe a future first round picks. This is the type of draft to have a large number of picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imo at 9 olb. but i think i would trade down to pick up a 3rd or 4th and a late first. use the first for oline or lb. use the 3rd or 4th for rg.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've had good pass Ds without a good pass rusher. Getting one would be great and could make the D once again the best in the game, but I'd rather attend to the pitiful offense.

I voted WR, without some better playmakers at the skill positions, no QB will ever succeed. Draft a WR (Keenan Allen?) and build what could become a good group of young WRs, with the dradt pick joining Hill and Kerley.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    DE/OLB

OR IF SOME HOW LUKE JOECKEL FALLS

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say they pick up a guard with a smaller ass to replace Moore. This way when Rex says "He gives us the best opportunity to win the game." and starts Sanchez again next year, Mark will have one less thing to worry about.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Place Holder. Get the best. Kickers will have no excuse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I say they pick up a guard with a smaller ass to replace Moore. This way when Rex says "He gives us the best opportunity to win the game." and starts Sanchez again next year, Mark will have one less thing to worry about.
    Damn Sanchez. Because of him, we have to endure endless jokes like these. It will never stop.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Initially i thought OL but after thinking about it for a little bit LB is the better choice.

1st pick.... LB
    2nd, 3rd, 4th picks.... 2 OL and 1 QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Damn Sanchez. Because of him, we have to endure endless jokes like these. It will never stop.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This a rebuild people!
    We can't do this in one draft.
    If a kickazz OLB is there at 9 it's a no brainer. We have to finish this defense.
    With Wilk & Coples in the fold a pass rushing OLB will change the dynamic on this defense, especially with the return of Revis.
    Harris needs to lose some weight & he can be much more effective if we can speed up the opposing QBs reactions.

If you get the OLB, you now have The Rookie, Harris, Davis, & hopefully a free agent veteran.
    The rest of the draft needs to be BPA all offense other than center or LT.
    That's 6 picks to help the offense.
    If they resign Edwards, that's not a bad group with the return of Holmes, Kerley & Hill with another off season to hone his skills.
    Norv will do wonders for Hill if we do bring him in as the OC.

So, finish the defense, go all offense for the other 6 picks & the final thing is to get a QB in there that won't turn the ball over 52 times in 31 games!
    Our defense alone, with a new young fast group of linebackers & Revis returning is a guaranteed 6 wins.
    A QB that protects the ball could mean 3-4 more wins & a playoff spot.
    Jets solidify those LBs & they will be top 3 next year with Revis back.
    Tanny also blew it when looking for 2nd tier offensive FA WRs & RBs in the offseason.
    Go Jets!