Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DWoody on ESPN 98.7

DWoody on ESPN 98.7

Since DWood played for both LaGreca asked Woody who was better for Jets

Magini/Tanny or Rex/Tanny

DWood said Mangini/Tanny. Mangini's teams were more prepared and held accountable. They were never surprised on gameday what the other team was going to do. Said Rex is a good guy, excellent D coach. Rex more than Xs & Os. But Mangini was the better coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-02-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Since DWood played for both LaGreca asked Woody who was better for Jets

Magini/Tanny or Rex/Tanny

DWood said Mangini/Tanny. Mangini's teams were more prepared and held accountable. They were never surprised on gameday what the other team was going to do. Said Rex is a good guy, excellent D coach.
    Wow, it's a wonder Rex was able to get the team so much further despite having such a bad QB.

And I also find it funny that so many people around here were blasting Mangini at the time when they now talk about him like they never really wanted him gone.

Mangini was a pretty good coach, Rex is even better. You don't get to two AFC champ games with a **** QB unless you know how to coach.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Wow, it's a wonder Rex was able to get the team so much further despite having such a bad QB.

And I also find it funny that so many people around here were blasting Mangini at the time when they now talk about him like they never really wanted him gone.

Mangini was a pretty good coach, Rex is even better. You don't get to two AFC champ games with a **** QB unless you know how to coach.
    Enjoy your day

Damian Woody is probably friends with Mangini, they both work for ESPN now and were on the Patriots. If Mangini was a better coach, why didn't he win more? The 2008 Jets was more talented than the 2009 Jets.

Accountability = media talking point. Ignore.

Funny that Mangini's teams were always prepared for their opponents and knew what they were going to do.

Except for that year they lost 12 games.

But they were prepared for those 12 losses!

Hall Of Fame
    Mangini had no QB in 2007 and the 2008 team was 8-3 before Favre tore his biceps.

Mangini's downfall was his personality and he made enemies with the wrong people.

You have to remember this is coming from an offensive player. That is the perception in the locker room from offensive guys, just as the defensive guys are all clamoring about following Rex to the ends of the earth. This is part of Rex's problem as a HC.

Veteran
    Enjoy your day
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mangini had no QB in 2007 and the 2008 team was 8-3 before Favre tore his biceps.

Mangini's downfall was his personality and he made enemies with the wrong people.
    Mangini had WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better QBs than Rex has had with Sanchez. Chad Pennington was a quality starting QB.

Pennington was completing 68% of his passes when he was benched in 2007 for Kellen Clemens.

Favre's injury was a excuse, that team still played like crap vs garbage teams

Veteran
    The Browns performance under Mangini didn't validate Mangini as a good HC or that getting fired from the Jets was a mistake. Also, I was surprised the Browns defense was bad under his watch as well. I think he is screwed at getting a DC job as well since he has little experience at it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

@damienwoody: Rex is beyond the Xs & Os....knows how to push the right buttons w/ players. Brilliant (cont) http://t.co/bHEyxmhv

@damienwoody: @JonEJet actually I was totally honest & my relationship w/ Mangini had nothing 2 do with it

Mangenious coaching style was get a 3 point lead then play prevent defense and go away from everything that worked on offense and try to run out the clock in the 3rd quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Then:

A: How come Mangini did not do well with the Browns?

B: How come he hasn't had a head coaching job since? Or even a request to be a talent evaluator?

@damienwoody: I just spoke my mind on the state of the Jets & Rex vs. Mangini on @ESPNNewYork.....take a listen & let me know your thoughts

@damienwoody: I basically said the Jets are not close to contending & should start over & from talent (cont) http://t.co/uxCm6UMU

Enjoy your day
    You too. Keep listening to the radio. Those guys are really smart (Especially Damien Woody), you'll learn a bunch.

You too. Keep listening to the radio. Those guys are really smart (Especially Damien Woody), you'll learn a bunch.
    No comment.

Obviously we all sit from a fan's perspective, but from a fan's perspective I can't help but to agree. Everyone likes to get on Mangini for numerous things, but the facts are he had two teams over .500 and one injury riddled season where the team went 4-12. If it weren't for Favre's injury, the Jets are in the playoffs in 2008 and who knows where we're at at this point. The difference between Rex's 9-7 season and Mangini's is how other teams played in the conference that season. Both had stretches of awful play and very good play, the '08 team having a better stretch than the '09 team.

Heck, if Ryan's 2013 squad goes 5-11 in 2013, he'll be tied with Herm's, who reached the playoffs three times in five years.

Ryan's tenure is largely over-rated by most Jet fans. Save for Indianapolis handing us a spot in 2009, and Ryan would have been fired on Monday after just one playoff appearance in four years.

@damienwoody: Gruden won a SB w/ Dungy's team but is he a better coach?

@damienwoody: Ppl talk about the QB situation but didn't Rex have a say in picking Sanchez?! Y'all acting like he was stuck w/ him!!!

My opinion on this is that Rex can take a team with talent and get them to perform. Problem is when you have talent in the NFL the inmates will eventually run the asylum if you coach the way Rex does. His style is not one that is going to be consistently productive. Mangini was no where near the x and o coach that Rex is but he was a very prepared coach that held people accountable. Seems like a hybrid between the two would be perfect. Not that he should coach again but Parcells was the type of coach that most closely resembles the hybrid of Mangini/.Ryan that can be successful consistently.