Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DWoody on ESPN 98.7

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Wow, it's a wonder Rex was able to get the team so much further despite having such a bad QB.

And I also find it funny that so many people around here were blasting Mangini at the time when they now talk about him like they never really wanted him gone.

Mangini was a pretty good coach, Rex is even better. You don't get to two AFC champ games with a **** QB unless you know how to coach.
    The JETS backed into the playoffs both of those years.

Sanchez played better than Rex' defense in all the playoff games.

Half time lead against the Colts that the defense couldnt hold.

Spotted Pitt 24 points and couldnt stop the Pitt offense when it needed to give the JETS offense a chance after a great come back.

Rex regressed as much as Sanchez over the past two years

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My opinion on this is that Rex can take a team with talent and get them to perform. Problem is when you have talent in the NFL the inmates will eventually run the asylum if you coach the way Rex does. His style is not one that is going to be consistently productive. Mangini was no where near the x and o coach that Rex is but he was a very prepared coach that held people accountable. Seems like a hybrid between the two would be perfect. Not that he should coach again but Parcells was the type of coach that most closely resembles the hybrid of Mangini/.Ryan that can be successful consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    The JETS backed into the playoffs both of those years.

Sanchez played better than Rex' defense in all the playoff games.

Half time lead against the Colts that the defense couldnt hold.

Spotted Pitt 24 points and couldnt stop the Pitt offense when it needed to give the JETS offense a chance after a great come back.

Rex regressed as much as Sanchez over the past two years
    Clinching in Week 16 is not backing in.

They won enough games that no one could catch them, even with an extra week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I also agree. The only above average coach the Jets have had since Walt Michaels has been Parcells. The last time the Jets fielded a complete team with an above average defense & above average defense was under Parcells.

mangini's problem is that he trusted schitty.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mangini had no QB in 2007 and the 2008 team was 8-3 before Favre tore his biceps.

Mangini's downfall was his personality and he made enemies with the wrong people.

and a qb. and funny thing is the tuna teams were made up of kotite players and he went into the 99 season without a viable backup qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    I also agree. The only above average coach the Jets have had since Walt Michaels has been Parcells. The last time the Jets fielded a complete team with an above average defense & above average defense was under Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    and a qb. and funny thing is the tuna teams were made up of kotite players and he went into the 99 season without a viable backup qb.
    He actually had a viable backup in Ray Lucas but he got spooked by all the naysayers (yes the Jets curse even affected Parcells) and didn't give Lucas a chance till it was too late. We could have done some damage that year if he went straight to Lucas after Vinny went down...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Since DWood played for both LaGreca asked Woody who was better for Jets

Magini/Tanny or Rex/Tanny

DWood said Mangini/Tanny. Mangini's teams were more prepared and held accountable. They were never surprised on gameday what the other team was going to do. Said Rex is a good guy, excellent D coach. Rex more than Xs & Os. But Mangini was the better coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play
    Talk about framing a question. Why not leave Tanny out of the equation? The Jets would be better off. How about Mangini/Ryan?

The more interesting part of the interview was when they were talking about the roster building/personnel decisions between Mangini and Rex. That's where Woody drew the distinct line between the two, dramatically in Mangini's favor. Since MR.T obviously let both his coaches have final say in the draft process, after listening to this interview, I was seriously thinking that Woody fired the wrong guy, that Rex should have been the one to go, not Tannenbaum. There is no denying Rex has dramatically decreased the talent level on this team, and has saddled us with a horrible QB, which is the worst situation you could ever want to be in. And the fact that Woody seems to see Rex as part of the solution, and ultimately not the problem itself, is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    The more interesting part of the interview was when they were talking about the roster building/personnel decisions between Mangini and Rex. That's where Woody drew the distinct line between the two, dramatically in Mangini's favor. Since MR.T obviously let both his coaches have final say in the draft process, after listening to this interview, I was seriously thinking that Woody fired the wrong guy, that Rex should have been the one to go, not Tannenbaum. There is no denying Rex has dramatically decreased the talent level on this team, and has saddled us with a horrible QB, which is the worst situation you could ever want to be in. And the fact that Woody seems to see Rex as part of the solution, and ultimately not the problem itself, is scary.
    vernon gholston...

no question that rex has decreased the talent on the team?

he didnt have the luxury of having established QB's helm the offense, let alone brett favre. oh and btw, how bout that chad pennington? look and see what he did after mangini. and clemens. mangini was a great coach to have drafted the excellent kellen clemens. what great draft value. mangini was such a great coach with a crap QB. brought us to the AFCCG and beat brady and manning along the way. remember?

oh wait, i have a good one. how about that switch to the 34 using 43 personnel like Drob and Vilma. Wait -- hear me out.

mangini switched to the 34 and got rid of vilma for a bag of beans. got fleeced. good riddance. vilma hasn't won jack since he left here. what is selling used cars?

what great players did mangini develop? im just curious.

rex btw - top 10 defense every year. anyone remember mangini's defenses ranks?

Veteran
    To be honest what does D.Woody know about scouting/drafting let alone how the Jets do it? I don't get where he grades the two tandems at all. These "experts" proclaim Rex knows nothing about offense so how is his input even helpful assuming he even gives any input to offensive players? Lets also assume Clinksdale is a GM canidate, why would he come here if Rex is drafting these players? I call BS on this! D.Woody is a nice guy but I think he's just throwing stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Damian Woody is probably friends with Mangini, they both work for ESPN now and were on the Patriots. If Mangini was a better coach, why didn't he win more? The 2008 Jets was more talented than the 2009 Jets.
    Woody and Mangini go back to when Woody was drafted by the Pats and played there the first several years of his career. If Mangini is such a great coach how come he bombed as a HC in Cleveland immediately after failing in NY?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I for one am glad that Rex is staying.

Spin it however you like, despite 2 sub-par seasons, Rex has given us more post-season success then any other Jets HC short of Weeb Ewbank.

Eric Mangini is an amazing football mind. He traded John Abraham and drafted Gholston. Everyone is blaming Rex for Kyle Wilson and Ducasse, what about Mangini wasting picks on trash like Kellen Clemens , Anthony Schlegel and Eric Smith?

Sione Pouha was a nothing when Mangini was the HC. Under Rex he became an elite NT.

How'd genius boy do evaluating talent in Cleveland?

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    I for one am glad that Rex is staying.

Spin it however you like, despite 2 sub-par seasons, Rex has given us more post-season success then any other Jets HC short of Weeb Ewbank.
    Rex is a 500 coach, no division titles, no playoff home games, and hasn't beaten a quality team other than the colts in 2 years. we lost to a LOT of teams with losing records.......

Shall we talk about his ability to help develop an offense?

Rex is a great coach cause he finished with the #8 Defense in the league. Cmon man. When you don't draft offensive players or backfill the offense with quality FA, then the opposing offense doesn't NEED as many yards or points. The other team can play more conservative offensively when you know the jets will struggle to score points on offense. The defense of Ryan is laughable.
    I probably would think Rex was a good coach if he was only in charge of the defense but alas he is the HC.

He is in charge of the offense too and lets not pretend he wasn't the one all giddy and playing balltag with Tannenbaum during USCs Pro Day. The both should be have flushed down the toilet.

I think Woody was right to an extent. If you listen to Ray Lucas talk about it I think it adds more perspective to it. It essentially is an example of a coach who has you prepared for every contingency on the field and another who wants you to out-effort the other team. There is a reason why coming off bye weeks Mangini was excellent while Rex is not.

Manginis biggest downfall was that you cant, for 17 weeks, beat all these little details into players heads. It gets to the point where they reject it which is what happened in 2008. When they beat the Titans and Patriots that year I think those players wanted to be patted on the back and get some kind of break. When he didnt let up they gave up. I think Favre also had his own set of rules which didnt set well with the squad either. I also think that Mangini thinks that preparation out-trumps talent, which is why his rosters were in general so bland and didnt necessarily fit. When its not working on gameday Mangini doesnt get it and just sticks to his guns.

Rex is all about belief. When he had that meltdown early on this year about getting his players to believe the way he does thats his style. He thinks the key is to stroke the ego of the team so much that they eventually respond. I think when they didnt he didnt understand why it wasnt working.

Personally I think Rex is going to be far more successful than Mangini because a Mangini will never get over the hump with his personality and style. Rex will have lower lows (and this year was worse than Manginis worst), but I dont think anyone should ever look back and say we should have kept Mangini.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My opinion on this is that Rex can take a team with talent and get them to perform. Problem is when you have talent in the NFL the inmates will eventually run the asylum if you coach the way Rex does. His style is not one that is going to be consistently productive. Mangini was no where near the x and o coach that Rex is but he was a very prepared coach that held people accountable. Seems like a hybrid between the two would be perfect. Not that he should coach again but Parcells was the type of coach that most closely resembles the hybrid of Mangini/.Ryan that can be successful consistently.
    An Xs and Os guy who is a player's coach can learn when and how to be more of a disciplinarian; that comes with experience. It's the inverse of what happened with Coughlin, an Xs and Os disciplinarian who learned when and how to ease up.

But a guy who isn't an Xs and Os coach by the time they get the head job - whether disciplinarian (Mangini) or player's coach (Herm) - won't develop into one no matter how much experience they gain.

People who bash Mangini dont seem to get that the guy was given a HC job way too early in his career. He served as DC for ONLY one year and was previously a secondary coach for 7 years. Thats about the extent of his experience.

Despite this lack of experience, he managed to turn a 4-12 team depleted of talent to a 10-6 playoff team in 1 year. He had winning seasons 2 out of 3 seasons with the Jets. That is pretty amazing for a guy with so little coaching experience.

With regards to Cleveland and why he did so badly there...did you see the talent he had to work with? He had nothing. And yet Cleveland still managed to stay competititive in most games. Its not surprising that alot of Browns fans were not happy when Mangini was fired and replaced by Schurmer. It seems Schurmer didnt fair much better