Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DWoody on ESPN 98.7

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @damienwoody: Gruden won a SB w/ Dungy's team but is he a better coach?

@damienwoody: Ppl talk about the QB situation but didn't Rex have a say in picking Sanchez?! Y'all acting like he was stuck w/ him!!!
    Gruden is 10x the coach that dungy is.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    My opinion on this is that Rex can take a team with talent and get them to perform. Problem is when you have talent in the NFL the inmates will eventually run the asylum if you coach the way Rex does. His style is not one that is going to be consistently productive. Mangini was no where near the x and o coach that Rex is but he was a very prepared coach that held people accountable. Seems like a hybrid between the two would be perfect. Not that he should coach again but Parcells was the type of coach that most closely resembles the hybrid of Mangini/.Ryan that can be successful consistently.
    I just disagree with this idea that nobody is accountable... The team isn't very high on the penalty lists and that would indicate a real lack of accountability.

People try to complicate the reason why the team isn't good and it really comes down to the offense. It's the same reason Whisenhunt was fired in Arizona, Fisher was fired in Tenn, and the same reason why Reid was fired with the Eagles. All good coaches, the QB's aren't greats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Exactly... And it's embarrassing that Woody doesn't think that's the case.

And that's not even to say Gruden is great either, because he's not.

I was a huge Mangini fan for for everything Woody talked about.

But Mangini's downfall was his personality and his insistence on trying to be like Belichick.

He really didn't get any better in Cleveland, but did improve a little.

I think sitting out a couple of years and working as an analyst has humbled him, and I think he would be an outstanding hire for any team.

I'd welcome Mangini back in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I was a huge Mangini fan for for everything Woody talked about.

But Mangini's downfall was his personality and his insistence on trying to be like Belichick.

He really didn't get any better in Cleveland, but did improve a little.

I think sitting out a couple of years and working as an analyst has humbled him, and I think he would be an outstanding hire for any team.

I'd welcome Mangini back in a second.
    And back to a bottom 15 defense we would go... I don't hate Mangini but Rex is better and that system Mangini/Belichick use defensively just sucks. 2 gapping everywhere and very little blitzing.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And back to a bottom 15 defense we would go... I don't hate Mangini but Rex is better and that system Mangini/Belichick use defensively just sucks. 2 gapping everywhere and very little blitzing.
    Not in place of Rex, I want Rex to stay. I'm talking about if Rex were let go.

Rex is going to learn a lot from this past season for the better, and I'm anxious to see it happen.

No head coach will ever trust him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wow, it's a wonder Rex was able to get the team so much further despite having such a bad QB.

And I also find it funny that so many people around here were blasting Mangini at the time when they now talk about him like they never really wanted him gone.

Mangini was a pretty good coach, Rex is even better. You don't get to two AFC champ games with a **** QB unless you know how to coach.
    Let me understand this.

A Pro Bowl player who played for both coaches says that Mangini was the better coach but you, a guy on a message board, disagrees and knows better?

I see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You have to remember this is coming from an offensive player. That is the perception in the locker room from offensive guys, just as the defensive guys are all clamoring about following Rex to the ends of the earth. This is part of Rex's problem as a HC.
    Mangini was a defensive coach as well.

I just disagree with this idea that nobody is accountable... The team isn't very high on the penalty lists and that would indicate a real lack of accountability.

People try to complicate the reason why the team isn't good and it really comes down to the offense. It's the same reason Whisenhunt was fired in Arizona, Fisher was fired in Tenn, and the same reason why Reid was fired with the Eagles. All good coaches, the QB's aren't greats.
    Accountability goes beyond penalties... Consider the following:
    1. right number of men on the field
    2. getting plays called on time
    3. getting your assignment correct
    4. knowing the game plan
    5. Situational football ( don't turn the ball over in the red zone)
    6. Cohesive locke room and coaching staff that does not have leaks.

I have no idea if Rex is involved in some of our player selections, but we have never heard that he took issue with any of the players that were picked. He hand picked Sporano and that was a disaster. He neutered Schotty because of his ground and pound insistance. We are currently in bad shape, I can't see Rex guiding us out of this given his style of coaching. With all that said, a franchise quarterback fixes a lot of things that are bad... Too bad we don't have one and can't find one!

Jets Insider VIP
    @damienwoody: @JonEJet actually I was totally honest & my relationship w/ Mangini had nothing 2 do with it
    LOL!

This is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Not in place of Rex, I want Rex to stay. I'm talking about if Rex were let go.

Rex is going to learn a lot from this past season for the better, and I'm anxious to see it happen.
    This is a great point... I think Mangini would have done better his second time around if he did not jump right back into a head coach role and spent some more time as a DC between jobs... I will be very interested to see how a guy like Rex makes out in a second gig but his personality does not strike me as someone who will change his approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Let me understand this.

A Pro Bowl player who played for both coaches says that Mangini was the better coach but you, a guy on a message board, disagrees and knows better?

I see.
    Bro, you summed it up perfectly---These people are deaf.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post

Wow.

Here's the difference between Mangini and Ryan.

If you want a guy to devise a plan for a player to run through a brick wall and explain the plan to the player, Mangini is your man.

If you want a guy to convince a player to run into a brick wall at full speed to try and break through to the other side, Ryan is that guy.

The big difference: Mangini's player may or may not run into that brick wall. While Ryan's guy runs into the wall and after he recovers from his concussion asks if he can do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

If you want a guy to devise a plan for a player to run through a brick wall and explain the plan to the player, Mangini is your man.

If you want a guy to convince a player to run into a brick wall at full speed to try and break through to the other side, Ryan is that guy.

The big difference: Mangini's player may or may not run into that brick wall. While Ryan's guy runs into the wall and after he recovers from his concussion asks if he can do it again.
    Didn't run through many walls the last 3 games the past two seasons.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Then:

A: How come Mangini did not do well with the Browns?

B: How come he hasn't had a head coaching job since? Or even a request to be a talent evaluator?
    No talent on the Browns.

he played a vanilla D on the Jets because the pass rush would never get there, and he didn't have Rex's corners.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post

The big difference: Mangini's player may or may not run into that brick wall. While Ryan's guy runs into the wall and after he recovers from his concussion asks if he can do it again*.
    * except that Ryan may not know for a few days that said player has a concussion.

Since DWood played for both LaGreca asked Woody who was better for Jets

Magini/Tanny or Rex/Tanny

DWood said Mangini/Tanny. Mangini's teams were more prepared and held accountable. They were never surprised on gameday what the other team was going to do. Said Rex is a good guy, excellent D coach. Rex more than Xs & Os. But Mangini was the better coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play
    In theory Mangini should be a better coach. But in reality and past results Rex is a far superior coach. Mangini never won a playoff game.

As far as them not being surprised on gameday I can't think of anything further from the truth. Maybe they were prepared for the first five minutes but Mangini didnt have the faintest idea of what in-game adjustments were. Ask David Harris , "what halftime adjustments?"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Mangini had no QB in 2007 and the 2008 team was 8-3 before Favre tore his biceps.

Mangini's downfall was his personality and he made enemies with the wrong people.
    Mangini had Chaddy in 07 who won the East with the Fins the following year..