Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets talking to Bill Cowher per Mike Francesa

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what its worth, I went to the Jax game and sat with a bunch of jets fans from fan clubs in Tampa and Carolina. I met a guy who had a pregame field pass from a friend who works for the team or something. He said that he heard Woody hired someone to evaluate the entire organization and that big changes would be coming after the season ended. Word was that Cowher was going to be brought in to run everything.

I honestly didnt give it much thought at time, but who knows....this was on Dec 9th, well before reports of Woody hiring any firm, and now Cowhers name is out there. Again, take it for what its worth...just thought it was interesting given the information that has come out since then.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Honestly, Cowher had some great moments as a coach, but also a very patient organization and fanbase. He's also highly conservative and was never known to orchestrate a high flying type passing attack that is winning in today's NFL. He's a "ground and pound" guy, blue collar D type. Not as good of a quote as Rex, but probably not all that different in coaching philosophies. He's had back to back losing seasons. It took him forever to win a SB.

My prediction, if we hired him, by about week 8 next season, you would start to see the FIRE COWHER threads knowing this place, lol.
    Ditto!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, Cowher had some great moments as a coach, but also a very patient organization and fanbase. He's also highly conservative and was never known to orchestrate a high flying type passing attack that is winning in today's NFL. He's a "ground and pound" guy, blue collar D type. Not as good of a quote as Rex, but probably not all that different in coaching philosophies. He's had back to back losing seasons. It took him forever to win a SB.

My prediction, if we hired him, by about week 8 next season, you would start to see the FIRE COWHER threads knowing this place, lol.
    First of all, Cowher's background is defense. So he's not calling the offense anyway. Secondly, have you seen the QB's he had before Ben came along? It's a miracle he even got to a Super Bowl with O'Donnell. Then he had Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox. He wasn't blessed with great QB play before 2004.

I guarantee you one thing, he won't lose the pulse of the team and he would hold players accountable.

Another interesting tidbit. His OC the first 3 seasons with Roethlisberger was Ken Whisenhunt.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    First of all, Cowher's background is defense. So he's not calling the offense anyway. Secondly, have you seen the QB's he had before Ben came along? It's a miracle he even got to a Super Bowl with O'Donnell. Then he had Tomczak, Stewart and Maddox. He wasn't blessed with great QB play before 2004.

I guarantee you one thing, he won't lose the pulse of the team and he would hold players accountable.

Another interesting tidbit. His OC the first 3 seasons with Roethlisberger was Ken Whisenhunt.
    Cowher's not even really a defensive guy. Lebeau ran that defense.

Cowher runs a team like an executive. Very much a cheerleader on the sidelines. Same with Tomlin.

Only reason Pitt is good is because they have a great D-coordinator that usually gets you 6-9 wins minimum and they managed to draft a gutsy QB whos' in the top 10 for sure. He gets you the extra wins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But, but, but he would NEVUR come to the Jets!!!!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could this be true? Of course it could, although if WJ was really looking to dump Rex, why issue the statement of support and say he WAS coming back next year?

I'd remind everyone again: this is Fatcesa, a guy who when LT was arrested for rape, announced on the air that he had "spoken to his sources in law enforcement in NJ," proceeded to pontificate how the charges were trumped up, and then backtracked as soon as he realized LT's rape thing happened in New York.

This is what Mushnick said about it at the time:

Francesa makes mis-state-ment on LT case

Mike Francesa, pants on fire: Professor Fran-say-so, Thursday, again was caught big-timing an audience he figured wasn't bright enough to know; he again trapped himself in his own device by trying to promote his bogus Mr. Inside Big Shot image.

With Lawrence Taylor charged with rape, Francesa, sounding as if J. Edgar Hoover was on hold, said he's already on the case, working the phones. Yup, he'd spoken with "law enforcement people in New Jersey" who thus far only could provide him "very sketchy" details.

But when told that Taylor had been arrested and jailed in The Town of Ramapo, N.Y. -- not Ramapo, N.J. -- Francesa started to tap dance. Repeating, "I thought it was in New Jersey," didn't explain his reliance on his Jersey "law enforcement" contacts to provide him the nuts.

No doubt this also lands on the "Mike's Mysteriously Missing Show Tapes" list.

But the Taylor story, on WFAN, has been heavy on farce.

Friday, Evan Roberts, deadly serious, said that all signs suggest that the pimp who allegedly delivered the child prostitute to Taylor, "is not a good pimp."

Later, Joe Benigno soberly said, "It's obvious that this pimp is a bad guy."

Yep, this guy might give pimps a bad name.
    That's all we need to know about Fatty's sawces.
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 01-02-2013 at 04:56 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    seems like francesa had lunch with mehta today

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Could this be true? Of course it could, although if WJ was really looking to dump Rex, why issue the statement of support and say he WAS coming back next year?

I'd remind everyone again: this is Fatcesa, a guy who when LT was arrested for rape, announced on the air that he had "spoken to his sources in law enforcement in NJ," proceeded to pontificate how the charges were trumped up, and then backtracked as soon as he realized LT's rape thing happened in New York.

That's all we need to know about Fatty's sawces.
    The only hope I have is that Tanny and Rex both gave Shoddy a ringing before he "resigned". I'm not a huge Cowher fan, but anything to get rid of Rex and his stale act.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    But, but, but he would NEVUR come to the Jets!!!!!
    And he won't.

But if he did, he'd be world's better than your love crush Rex Ryan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    he said it so he can crap on them a few days from now for not hiring him. thats a whole show right there
    ....and we have a winner.

When there is no story to tell, create one.

"JETS FAIL YET AGAIN TO LAND PRIMARY TARGET COWHER AS HEAD COACH!! REX BANISHED FROM FACILITY AND WOODY REMAINS PUBLICLY SILENT!!!!"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree he had to make do with bad QBs. But isn't that part of the reason some people hate Rex? That he couldn't identify a good QB? And Rex took us one step from the SB with Sanchez, so that was somewhat similar to what Cowher would do with his subpar QBs. You could be right about pulse of the team and holding guys accountable. I'm not saying Rex is as good, just pointing out somewhat similar styles and philosophies and I would think this fanbase would prefer to go with someone very different than Rex in all aspects.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree he had to make do with bad QBs. But isn't that part of the reason some people hate Rex? That he couldn't identify a good QB? And Rex took us one step from the SB with Sanchez, so that was somewhat similar to what Cowher would do with his subpar QBs. You could be right about pulse of the team and holding guys accountable. I'm not saying Rex is as good, just pointing out somewhat similar styles and philosophies and I would think this fanbase would prefer to go with someone very different than Rex in all aspects.
    Yes I think that's the general consensus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonsta View Post
    Rumblings of Cowher he just said,but probably not true.
    More like his stomach rumbling to eat a Cow..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa Jet View Post
    For what its worth, I went to the Jax game and sat with a bunch of jets fans from fan clubs in Tampa and Carolina. I met a guy who had a pregame field pass from a friend who works for the team or something. He said that he heard Woody hired someone to evaluate the entire organization and that big changes would be coming after the season ended. Word was that Cowher was going to be brought in to run everything.

I honestly didnt give it much thought at time, but who knows....this was on Dec 9th, well before reports of Woody hiring any firm, and now Cowhers name is out there. Again, take it for what its worth...just thought it was interesting given the information that has come out since then.
    yep! yep! Rex is a goner I tell ya!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

wait! so you tryin to tell me Bill Cowher former football coach now TV analysis could be the next Jets HC or GM? fascinating, I like it!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

agree...he would instantly restore credibility, circus would be over...would he still have the fire and commitment to coach?...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see Cowher take over and talk Rex into being his Dee Coordinator, That would be my wish...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know I would love to see Madden 14 have a feature where you can change GM's HC, OC, DC with all kinds of implausible management scenarios....... Cowher as HC with Rex as DC; Belichick as HC with Rex as DC, Rex, with LeBeau as DC, Norv as OC.........

Kotite as HC with Schotty as OC, Rob Ryan as DC

Would sell millions of copies

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Would love to see Cowher take over and talk Rex into being his Dee Coordinator, That would be my wish...
    I don't think Cowher would want to be anywhere near Rex Ryan. And we would still need an offensive mind. Whisenhunt makes sense with Cowher.

But I think this is all a pipe dream. I can't imagine Cowher wants any part of the Jets with Sanchez and no signs of a better QB. I could see him in Carolina for sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign me up, maybe Rex will except a demotion to Dee Coordinator...