Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 82

Thread: Would the Jets (and Jets Fans) Have Fired Bill Cowher in 1999? Or in 2003?

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Over the holidays, I spent some time in Pennsylvania. Walking around in my Jet jacket, I received many unsolicited comments concerning the team. Almost all were directed at Rex and why we would hire such a fool. (I'm being kind. Their words were more pointed and crude.)

    The rest were almost all comments on the Mark Sanchez "butt fumble". In all cases, folks did laugh.
    That's great. They all know how to read a newspaper.

    It's simply amazing to me how many are clueless about how fans are so easily influenced and swayed by the garbage the media spits out.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,909
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    I want Rex gone not because of his record this season. I want him gone because he brought the circus to the Jets. I don't remember anyone laughing at the Steelers do you?
    Please, 7-9 and 6-10 you would have been screaming for Cowher's head.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,546
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    I want Rex gone not because of his record this season. I want him gone because he brought the circus to the Jets. I don't remember anyone laughing at the Steelers do you?
    Woody hired him for this reason and he did exactly what Woody wanted.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I think that both Ownership and teh Fans both would havefired or wanted fired Cowher in his two 6-10 seasons before he won it all, yes.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/CowhBi0.htm

    Maybe we should soldier through another coupe of years with Ryan, and see.

    We've gone the route of change every four->five years. Is there anything to be said for soldiering through a bad downturn, staying with the same guy, as Pittsburgh did, and see if he rises up to the challenge?

    I don't disagree Rex has flaws, especially his loyalty to his guys....like Sanchez.

    But is it truly impossible that Rex could win, if given a mid-level QB to work with (not, as we have now, the worst QB of the past 4 years), and a quality O-Co?

    If ownership hires a competant General Manager, who along with Rex brings in a truly top-tier O-Co (Norv Turner for example) and a legitimate Mid-Tier QB Candidate, is it possible Rex could be a successful Coach again in New York?

    Maybe perserverence is a solution the Jets haven't yet tried.

    After all, Bill Cowher was a two-time 6-10 Coach after 12 long seasons in Pittsburgh and he wasn't fired. That risk paid off.

    Just tossing it out there.
    This has already been pointed out ad nauseum.

    Jets fans don't get it though. They're f*cking stupid.



    Sent from a phone using an app

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've set this up as a Rex is fine, it's all Mark's fault thread. And as true as that might be, the fact remains that he picked Mark, he stuck with Mark and he refused to bench Mark when it was obvious to everyone that he needed to sit.

    He completely lost control of the team last year and really didn't even realize he did until it was way too late.

    I've been a Rex supporter from the beginning, but the mistakes keep piling up one after another and seems to get worse every year.

    If you even go back to the AFC title game against Pitt, he did not have this team prepared and his defense got their doors blown off in the 1st half.

    He still shows absolutely ZERO interest in the offensive side of the ball, as if its a chore to even think about it. He would prefer to win every game 7-6.

    I get the lets not keep this 4 year revolving door going, and I was in your corner a couple of weeks ago, but the more I think about Rex's blunders, the more I think he had a fair shot here and he did this to himself.

    It's just time to dump the whole Tanny, Rex, Mark trio. I've had enough. Do whatever it takes to get rid of the two remaining guys.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking for myself, no.

    My main issue with Rex is not the team's record. It is that he is a buffoon and has shown an inability to grow as a coach.

    We can debate play calls and schemes but at the end of the day the players are the ones that are playing. So I try to grade the coach on things that he is in control of and Rex fails the test in many areas

    I am not that familiar with Cowher but I am pretty sure he handles himself in a professional manner and commands the respect of his employees and players. I am not sure but I don't think he ever went into a game with only one healthy QB based on his own decision. Cowher probably mishandled the QB situation in Pitt a little but nowhere near the level that Rex has.

    Biggest knock on Cowher was his record in big games. But Cowher did win division titles and does have a SB.

    To be honest, I don't want either of them. But I would not argue with someone who thinks Cowher is a better HC.

  7. #27
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam, NL
    Posts
    128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The media has brainwashed you!

    Snap out of it!
    And over 40 yrs the Jets has brainwashed you!

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    And over 40 yrs the Jets has brainwashed you!
    Nice comeback!

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I agree. I'm only for keeping Rex is the new GM wants to keep Rex, without pressure to do so.

    The problem is, we start over, new Coach has foibles too (remember Mangini and "it's a process" and his lolbad Bellichek impressions? Or Herm and his BBQ? Fans will always laugh at and find things to hate our Coaches for, legit or not) and in four years, if we have one down year, Fans will do exactly what they're doing now, demand the GM and Coach be fired, and we try something else.

    Hell, in the past I was a loud voice amongst them. I wanted Mangini fired big time, and still say that was the right choice.

    I just wonder if playing a Steelers-style long game may be worth trying for once, and if Rex with a decent QB might be worth giving a shot to. 4 years in a row we have Top 10 Defenses, and this year while clearly down hard with young linemen, injuries, Revis gone and slow old Linebackers, it was still our best unit by far. Afew less pick 6's, fumbles and INT's, and instead a few more completed drives or Field Goals and we're having a whole other conversation.
    I've been saying this for most of the year in response to anybody who blasted Rex just because.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Mai-Shu View Post
    And over 40 yrs the Jets has brainwashed you!
    Huh?

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    This has already been pointed out ad nauseum.

    Jets fans don't get it though. They're f*cking stupid.



    Sent from a phone using an app

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Speaking for myself, no.

    My main issue with Rex is not the team's record. It is that he is a buffoon and has shown an inability to grow as a coach.

    We can debate play calls and schemes but at the end of the day the players are the ones that are playing. So I try to grade the coach on things that he is in control of and Rex fails the test in many areas

    I am not that familiar with Cowher but I am pretty sure he handles himself in a professional manner and commands the respect of his employees and players. I am not sure but I don't think he ever went into a game with only one healthy QB based on his own decision. Cowher probably mishandled the QB situation in Pitt a little but nowhere near the level that Rex has.

    Biggest knock on Cowher was his record in big games. But Cowher did win division titles and does have a SB.

    To be honest, I don't want either of them. But I would not argue with someone who thinks Cowher is a better HC.
    LOL, too funny

    Cowher was actually a more annoying version of Tony Sparano with his sideline antics of fist pumping and what was known as "the chin." He was a rah rah type but did so in an intense fashion. Google up video of him, and you'll see a lot of "Let's go... let's go..." with the angry chin and spit flying out of his mouth.

    It's funny to me how so many hate Rex but would approve of Cowher.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL, too funny

    Cowher was actually a more annoying version of Tony Sparano with his sideline antics of fist pumping and what was known as "the chin." He was a rah rah type but did so in an intense fashion. Google up video of him, and you'll see a lot of "Let's go... let's go..." with the angry chin and spit flying out of his mouth.

    It's funny to me how so many hate Rex but would approve of Cowher.
    Cowher is nothing special. That franchise won plenty before he arrived has won plenty since he left and will always be competitive because that's what they do.

    I don't want him here at all. I'd rather keep Rex. But I don't want Rex either.

    Let the new GM hand pick his guy.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL, too funny

    Cowher was actually a more annoying version of Tony Sparano with his sideline antics of fist pumping and what was known as "the chin." He was a rah rah type but did so in an intense fashion. Google up video of him, and you'll see a lot of "Let's go... let's go..." with the angry chin and spit flying out of his mouth.

    It's funny to me how so many hate Rex but would approve of Cowher.
    I have no issue with Cowher or Rex being demonstrative on the sideline Football is an emotional game and I think it is good for a coach to display passion.

    Rex is a buffoon. Fist-pumping has nothing to do with it. I don't expect you to understand or see as you have blind loyalty to everything Jets.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    11,969
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I think that both Ownership and teh Fans both would havefired or wanted fired Cowher in his two 6-10 seasons before he won it all, yes.

    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...es/CowhBi0.htm

    Maybe we should soldier through another coupe of years with Ryan, and see.

    We've gone the route of change every four->five years. Is there anything to be said for soldiering through a bad downturn, staying with the same guy, as Pittsburgh did, and see if he rises up to the challenge?

    I don't disagree Rex has flaws, especially his loyalty to his guys....like Sanchez.

    But is it truly impossible that Rex could win, if given a mid-level QB to work with (not, as we have now, the worst QB of the past 4 years), and a quality O-Co?

    If ownership hires a competant General Manager, who along with Rex brings in a truly top-tier O-Co (Norv Turner for example) and a legitimate Mid-Tier QB Candidate, is it possible Rex could be a successful Coach again in New York?

    Maybe perserverence is a solution the Jets haven't yet tried.

    After all, Bill Cowher was a two-time 6-10 Coach after 12 long seasons in Pittsburgh and he wasn't fired. That risk paid off.

    Just tossing it out there.
    I completely agree with you WF. Tannenbaum deserved to get canned just for Sanchez and the contracts, let alone Gholston.

    But the real downer on this team is Mark Sanchez. You have to get his mug off this team, everything about him is pathetic, poisoning the lockeroom with a loser mentality.

    I would totally give RR a chance to stick this out, esp see what he can do with a decent QB.

    For crissakes, McCarthy threw a challenge flag on a play that couldn't be challenged and cost his team 15 yards on the kickoff in a tight game, hell it could have cost them the game. No one criticizes McCarthy tho.

    Rex Ryan does some things well, and does some things very well. IMO you give a guy like that a chance to grow.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,493
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't change coaches as much as your underwear.

    You'll win the big game.

    Plain and simple

    Coaching carousels never produce Super Bowl teams.


    Sent from a phone using an app

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I have no issue with Cowher or Rex being demonstrative on the sideline Football is an emotional game and I think it is good for a coach to display passion.

    Rex is a buffoon. Fist-pumping has nothing to do with it. I don't expect you to understand or see as you have blind loyalty to everything Jets.


    The homer card is overplayed. I see far more than you do, I also see faults, of which I've had no problem discussing on the board, so save it. Your comments reek of ignorance and agenda, but that's your opinion, so be it.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    No but these same Jets fans and blowhards in the media wuold have fired Tom Coughlin after he went 6-10 once and 8-8 twice and missed the playoffs this year with the Giants.

  19. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cowher is Rex without the brash talk.

    Just as stubborn and also believes defense cures all.

  20. #40
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,770
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    You've set this up as a Rex is fine, it's all Mark's fault thread. And as true as that might be


    the fact remains that he picked Mark, he stuck with Mark and he refused to bench Mark when it was obvious to everyone that he needed to sit.
    The team, including Rex, picked Mark, aye. And it was the right pick at that time in that draft. If we could do it all over again 100 times, Sanchez is probably still the right pick.

    The fact that he didn't pan out doesn't mena that at that time, he wasn't an appropriate, informed, risk vs. reward choice. He was. Would Stafford have been better.....who knows.

    Your criticism of Rex is legit generally, I admit. But if we're going to bank on someone learnign and getting better, I'd bet Rex before Sanchez. And I mostly bet Rex because I'm desperate for the stabillity and patince other teams often show on their way to championships.

    Because again, in four years, if New Coach A is 7-9 or 6-10, we'll be right here again, and they'll be some legit criticism there too (as there was for Cowher at various times when they went 6-10). At 6-10, you can always say a Coach "lost the team" or similar.

    One more year, Sanchez-free, see how it plays out. If Rex fails to put up a 9+ win success of a season with a meaningful playoff run, I'll be the first in line (behind SAR) to demand Rex be fired.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us