View Poll Results: JI POLL: Who is your 2012 NFL MVP?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tom Brady

0 0%
  • Peyton Manning

27 36.49%
  • Adrian Peterson

42 56.76%
  • Aaron Rodgers

2 2.70%
  • Other

3 4.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OFFICIAL JI POLL: Who is your 2012 NFL MVP?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    It's because defenses are geared up to defend the pass the he was able to get this close.
    Uh, what? He's been running against 9-man boxes all season.

I don't see how anyone can legitimately argue against Peterson, and that's coming from a guy who knows that Brady had a better season than Manning.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Uh, what? He's been running against 9-man boxes all season.

I don't see how anyone can legitimately argue against Peterson, and that's coming from a guy who knows that Brady had a better season than Manning.
    Well, the problem is, what does "most valuable" mean? Nobody really knows, and the discussion comes up every year. Peyton is much, much more valuable to his team than Peterson, but it usually boils down to the most outstanding player, and ADP has been truly outstanding. So I could see a co-MVP. But there's still going to be confusion because the voters (media members) probably don't understand this award any better than we do.

Also, not one vote for Brady? He had to beat the Niners and grab the 1 seed to have a shot against Peyton and his 11-game win streak.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Manning, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Peyton is much, much more valuable to his team than Peterson ...
    How's that? Manning took over a team that made the playoffs with Tim Freakin' Tebow. They even won a playoff game with Tebow. Manning made them better, sure, but who wouldn't? Denver also has one of the better defenses in the league.

AP dragged Minny (a 3-13 team last year) to 10-6 and the playoffs, and he had to come within 9 yards of breaking the record to do it.

By what argument is Manning "more valuable" to Denver than AP is to Minny?

Also, even I didn't vote for Brady, because AP is such a clear choice.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Because Peyton isn't the MVP. Peyton plays in a weak division that's in a weak conference with a team that made the playoffs without him a year before. He doesn't deserve it. AD, on the other hand, has single-handedly carried the terribad Vikings into the postseason.

The only reason Peyton is really in consideration is because A) He's a QB, B) He's an ELITE QB, and C) He's coming off a high-profile injury. Give him comeback player of the year, he deserves that. But, MVP? lol, put AD's name on it and call it good.
    I hear ya. Your case for AP is strong. It's just weird that two HOF type players make such remarkable comebacks in the same year.

I just felt that being away from football for a whole year...especially at the QB position, would make it very difficult for a player to be as efficient as Peyton has been. His throwing mechanics and release point. And the accuracy...all in game conditions...has been very impressive. IMO Peyton is deserving of consideration.

But I think you're right...

To be only the 7th player in NFL history to reach 2000+ yards...is a feat. But to do it after major reconstructive knee surgery the very next year...is totally ridiculous...AP

Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    How's that? Manning took over a team that made the playoffs with Tim Freakin' Tebow. They even won a playoff game with Tebow. Manning made them better, sure, but who wouldn't? Denver also has one of the better defenses in the league.

AP dragged Minny (a 3-13 team last year) to 10-6 and the playoffs, and he had to come within 9 yards of breaking the record to do it.

By what argument is Manning "more valuable" to Denver than AP is to Minny?

Also, even I didn't vote for Brady, because AP is such a clear choice.
    It boils down to the value of the position. AP running wild regardless of the fact that the defense is stuffing 8 in the box is impressive, but so is Peyton's season. I think a co-MVP is appropriate simply because I don't think the voters will know how to properly analyze their respective seasons.

But in terms of true value to winning games, a RB can never compete with a QB. So either we change the name of the award or we just give it to the best QB. I dunno.

RG3. I'll concede there are easy arguments to pick someone else but I thought Washington made a huge mistake dealing for his pick and that RG3 was going to be D.O.A. (dud on arrival).

I owe him this.

You can make a case for all 4. I fail to see how Peyton and AP are more valuable to their teams than Brady or Rodgers. Consider that Peyton's D was much better than Brady's or Rodgers D. Peterson to me is a RB. Offensive Player of the Year for sure but his team had a worse record than the other 3 and it's because RB is not as important of a position.

How would Rodgers season be perceived if it went exactly the same, but the refs didn't blow the Seattle game and his D got a solitary stop in week 17 in the 4th quarter? He'd be 13-3 and coming off a 370 yard, 4 TD game in week 17 to nab the 1 seed in the NFC. 2 events entirely out of his control and totally irrespective of his own play. But because of that, Peyton is in the discussion and he is not. Peyton is now more "valuable" than he is. The award is kind of a joke when you break it down like that. Every year there are several deserving players and value means something different to everyone.

Congrats to all 4 guys for MVP caliber seasons. That said, Brady I hope you choke terribly in your first playoff game
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 01-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You can make a case for all 4. I fail to see how Peyton and AP are more valuable to their teams than Brady or Rodgers. Consider that Peyton's D was much better than Brady's or Rodgers D. Peterson to me is a RB. Offensive Player of the Year for sure but his team had a worse record than the other 3 and it's because RB is not as important of a position.

How would Rodgers season be perceived if it went exactly the same, but the refs didn't blow the Seattle game and his D got a solitary stop in week 17 in the 4th quarter? He'd be 13-3 and coming off a 370 yard, 4 TD game in week 17 to nab the 1 seed in the NFC. 2 events entirely out of his control and totally irrespective of his own play. But because of that, Peyton is in the discussion and he is not. Peyton is now more "valuable" than he is. The award is kind of a joke when you break it down like that. Every year there are several deserving players and value means something different to everyone.

Congrats to all 4 guys for MVP caliber seasons. That said, Brady I hope you choke terribly in your first playoff game
    +1 to all of this (except for the bolded, heh). Either way, it's almost certainly going to Peyton.