Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Norv Turner on Rex's Short List for OC

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And Edwards insulted the Jet FO and last time I looked he was on the team again.. I guess some Jet fans take insults more personally then the people that were insulted..
    Difference is we were desperate for a WR. Norv is not desperate to be our OC. He'll have plenty of job offers to be an OC somewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Difference is we were desperate for a WR. Norv is not desperate to be our OC. He'll have plenty of job offers to be an OC somewhere.
    We could have had others that were out there.. I just don't think that people take things as personally as some Jet fans do..Especially the fans that are looking to put a negative spin on everything Jets related..

Talking JETS CAP WOES IMPACT TRADE MOVES

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    It all makes sense

Gamble for GM (49ers)
    Norv Turner OC (Was 49ers OC in 06)
    Alex Smith for QB (Norv coached him and knows his system and obviously Gamble knows him)
    = The problem with Alex Smith is that he may want a 5 million per year multi- year contract--- and with the cap hit of 12+ million to 17 mill. on SANCHEZ, we can't afford Alex. No one is going to trade for Sanchez and his 8.25 million salary.

Jets Insider VIP
    And Rex Ryan's opinion on OC is pertinent how?

That should be the decision of the new GM exclusively and coincide with his vision for the way he wants to structure the team.

As others have said, Ryan got his guy in 2012 and it failed, miserably. He's not qualified to have a say anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

That should be the decision of the new GM exclusively and coincide with his vision for the way he wants to structure the team.

As others have said, Ryan got his guy in 2012 and it failed, miserably. He's not qualified to have a say anymore.
    yet we ridiculed him for not knowing anything about the offense. I see and understand your point but if the HC cant pick the assistants/ coordinators what can he pick?
    Last edited by Mardukis; 01-03-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Since I've been a football fan the GM hires the HC and the HC selects his staff.. How can a HC succeed if he doesn't have people he wants on his staff..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardukis View Post
    yet we ridiculed him for not knowing anything about the offense. I see and understand your point but if the HC cant pick the assistants/ coordinators what can he pick? His feet?
    I gave Ryan the benefit of the doubt last year and hoped that by picking his own OC, that order would be restored on offense.

He got his chance. It failed. Now I believe it's the new GM's job to pick an OC of his choice. Ryan is a lame duck coach at this point. He shouldn't be making any hiring decisions for this team moving forward IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Since I've been a football fan the GM hires the HC and the HC selects his staff.. How can a HC succeed if he doesn't have people he wants on his staff..
    Did he not get his guy last year? The guy he shared mirror image offensive philosophies with?

My post above explains the rest.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Did he not get his guy last year? The guy he shared mirror image offensive philosophies with?

My post above explains the rest.
    I don't know did he?? Yes he said good things when Soprano was hired but when does Rex ever say negative things about anyone on the Jets?? Bottom line is no HC worth a hill of beans has his coordinators picked for him..

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't know did he?? Yes he said good things when Soprano was hired but when does Rex ever say negative things about anyone on the Jets?? Bottom line is no HC worth a hill of beans has his coordinators picked for him..
    Then why are you questioning if Rex picked Sparano last year? Unless you're saying Rex isn't worth a hill of beans.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Then why are you questioning if Rex picked Sparano last year? Unless you're saying Rex isn't worth a hill of beans.
    I think when it comes to offense Rex is very weak minded and isn't a 100% HC at this point in time.. As much as I like him personally I like the team better so IMO Rex should go.. So put the beans back in the can..

Jets Insider VIP
    I think when it comes to offense Rex is very weak minded and isn't a 100% HC at this point in time.. As much as I like him personally I like the team better so IMO Rex should go.. So put the beans back in the can..
    I agree. And that's part of why I say he shouldn't be picking his OC.

For one thing, he's proven he's weak in offensive philosophy so why should anyone trust his judgment there.

Secondly, there's a good chance he may not be here next year ( assuming he survives this year), so why would we want to have his choice for OC now and have to potentially change again next year. That's counter-productive for the players.

I'm not against Norv Turner. I just don't want him to be Rex' choice. It should be the new GM's. Maybe that's not normal procedure, but this is not a normal situation.

Norv Turner is going to pursue the fastest path back to head coaching, and due to the relative dearth of decent candidates that there will be following this off season in years to come, it won't take him long, imo, provided he does one of two things:

A) Goes to a borderline team that is close to but not quite over the hump and pushes the offense over the hump. This could be on the staff of a new coach in a good situation (Buffalo has talent) or if, say, Scott Linehan were to get fired in Detroit (probably not that likely.)

B) While not likely, this would probably get him a head coaching job as soon as next year: If he were to come to the Jets and got Mark Sanchez at below 15 picks and 28-30 TD's with around 3500 or so yards passing, then he'd be an outstanding pickup for whatever team ended up drafting somebody like Bridgewater in 2014. There is inarguably no quicker route back. The task could be utterly impossible though.

I honestly could not care less at this point. I view 2013 as a lost season already and Rex Ryan's last year as QB draft failings tend to get everybody attached to them fired.

And it's a shame. Rex may be the best defensive mind in the league, but I don't see him as EVER being a great head coach until somebody learns him offense and makes him understand that running the ball and playing defense isn't how you win titles anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I agree. And that's part of why I say he shouldn't be picking his OC.
    For one thing, he's proven he's weak in offensive philosophy so why should anyone trust his judgment there.

Secondly, there's a good chance he may not be here next year ( assuming he survives this year), so why would we want to have his choice for OC now and have to potentially change again next year. That's counter-productive for the players.

I'm not against Norv Turner. I just don't want him to be Rex' choice. It should be the new GM's. Maybe that's not normal procedure, but this is not a normal situation.
    IMO that's why he shouldn't be the HC.. It's time to move on.. Remember when Rex took OC duties away from Weiss and did it himself?? Rex wouldn't know how to do that and Parcells was a Defensive minded HC..