Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norv Turner on Rex's Short List for OC

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Norv is an outstanding OC.....I would be very happy if we got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Sources: Rex Ryan likes Norv Turner
    Updated: January 2, 2013, 10:13 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Though no official decision has been made on New York Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, sources told ESPNNewYork.com that Rex Ryan wants to bring in a new coordinator, and former San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner is said to be on his short list.

While many fans and media have speculated that Sparano will be fired after one season with the Jets, a person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that the Jets have not made a decision on the status of Sparano.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the status of the coaching staff.

Sources previously told ESPN's Adam Schefter the Jets do not plan to bring back Sparano.

The Jets' offense struggled mightily this season, finishing 30th.

The team is looking for a new general manager after owner Woody Johnson fired Mike Tannenbaum on Monday.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Thank you very much. Rex never liked Sparano,and said as much, when he was hired."to be honest i never really liked the guy when i was working against him, but he's on our team, and im very happy"that was roughly Rex's words after the hire. It was the fired guy, who wanted Sparano, for your stated reasons

Norv Turner

Do you know what Norv Turner spells, Matt Flynn, a great fit in a Turner run offense

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    It all makes sense

Gamble for GM (49ers)
    Norv Turner OC (Was 49ers OC in 06)
    Alex Smith for QB (Norv coached him and knows his system and obviously Gamble knows him)
    This would be a offseason dream come true

with you on sparano. i'm not really concerned if they do release him but he deserves a ton of slack for having sanchez and the rest of jets skill(less) and injured players playing for him. besides, much as people think that scoring a ton of points is great, it's also great if the offense can hold onto the ball and move the chains. keeps the defense fresh and the other team off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

It was the Parcells-tree connection and the fact that Sparano had a lot of success scoring points against the Pats since 2008. Remember it was week 3 in 2008 when Sparano wildcat took the league by storm sh*tting all over the Pats D.

I'm definitely in the minority but I don't think Sparano did that bad of a job. Problem was we had 0 talent at the skill positions, a mediocre OL, no blocking TE or 3rd down back, the Tebow circus and being forced to work him into the offense and Sanchez just had his head in his ass. Perfect storm.

Can we look a little further into Norv before everyone here starts saying he is a brilliant OF and their first choice????

Theres a lot of mentioning of what he did with alex smith in SF...here are Smiths numbers from the 1 season norv was there (2006).

2890 yards 58% 16 tds 16 ints (was his second year in the league)

Smith accomplished that in a year when Gore ran for 1,695 yards and caught 60 passes (approx 25% of smiths 257 completions)

That SF team finished with 7 wins

Prior to that in Oakland in 2005 they won 4 games while kerry collins threw for 3700 yards 20 tds and 12 ints all while completing 53% of his passes.

That season followed 2004 in Oakland where collins had almost the identical season: 3500 yards, 56% 21 tds and 20 ints.

Now we know that Norv HAD (please not the past tense) success offensively in SD with rivers, but rivers best seasons there 2009-2010 where on a RIDICULOUSLY stacked offense with 1 definite HOF in LT, 1 probable one in Gates and vincent jackson/malcolm floyd. And in every single seaon, his team underachieved (whether it was a reg season spiral or a playoff disappointment).

So when you look at the best seasons of Norvs career, San Diego and Dallas, there really is one common dominator....the guy had Hall of Fame talent on offense. Whether it was LT, aikman, emmit, irvin, gates, etc he has had success when he has had not good, but literally EPIC talent to work with.

This is a guy who every stop he has been at, minus Dallas TWENTY YEARS AGO, has underachieved and fallen short of their goals. Where is the last QB he "developed", troy aikman? Not to mention, Norv is known as a terrible clock manager, something that we already struggle with here and not a great in-game manager of challenges etc.

My last point is this....look around the NFL at the offenses teams are running. Spread, read option, pistol, etc....is norv really a 2013 NFL OC, someone who can adapt and change with the game? Or is he going to keep using his downfield, low % passing offense that works great with aikman to irvin or rivers to gates, when they have HOF RBs in their backfield. An offense that is so low % with its downfield passing that it has failed in every single playoff opportunity he has been given in the last 20 years. Thats gonna work in the NY winter?

I for one dont want Norv anywhere this team. We need new, young, INNOVATIVE blood at the OC position. Enough with failed NFL re-treads.
    Last edited by eaglenj; 01-03-2013 at 08:45 AM.

The most important part of bringing in Turner is to finally be putting in a "system" that we stick with.
    Whether we get Smith or Flynn, chances are that with an OC like Norv, the offense can grow over time & especially if we use most of our 7 picks coming up on young offensive players.
    As a long time Jet fan I want to finally see us get better as the season goes on.
    Not regress like we have in 2011 & 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Can we get Gore, Vernon Davis and that O-line too?
    I'll settle for Delanie Walker. Versatile FA TE who can both catch and block, and won't be overly expensive

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I can't agree that Sparano didn't do a bad job, but your points about the lack of talent are spot on. Even when you look at the worst teams in the league they still have a player or two that scares you on offense. The Lions really underachieved even with Stafford at QB and the best WR in the NFL. Similarly, the Cardinals won fewer games than the Jets but Larry Fitzgerald is a guy who you have to plan for and double cover on defense.

What offensive player on the Jets scares ANYONE??? Our biggest offensive weapon is probably Santonio Holmes and he'd be considered what, maybe a Top 15 WR in the NFL? We didn't send a single offensive player to the Pro Bowl. Our best RB and best TE likely wouldn't start on at least 15 to 20 other teams in the NFL. Maybe we could get by if we had Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning throwing to this cast of characters, but we didn't even have a decent QB. So yeah, Sparano didn't have a lot to work with. And, the "architect" of this talent (cess) pool on offense was rightly canned on Monday.
    Sanchez... he scares the hell out of all Jet fans

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Can we look a little further into Norv before everyone here starts saying he is a brilliant OF and their first choice????

Theres a lot of mentioning of what he did with alex smith in SF...here are Smiths numbers from the 1 season norv was there (2006).

2890 yards 58% 16 tds 16 ints (was his second year in the league)

Smith accomplished that in a year when Gore ran for 1,695 yards and caught 60 passes (approx 25% of smiths 257 completions)

That SF team finished with 7 wins

Prior to that in Oakland in 2005 they won 4 games while kerry collins threw for 3700 yards 20 tds and 12 ints all while completing 53% of his passes.

That season followed 2004 in Oakland where collins had almost the identical season: 3500 yards, 56% 21 tds and 20 ints.

Now we know that Norv HAD (please not the past tense) success offensively in SD with rivers, but rivers best seasons there 2009-2010 where on a RIDICULOUSLY stacked offense with 1 definite HOF in LT, 1 probable one in Gates and vincent jackson/malcolm floyd. And in every single seaon, his team underachieved (whether it was a reg season spiral or a playoff disappointment).

So when you look at the best seasons of Norvs career, San Diego and Dallas, there really is one common dominator....the guy had Hall of Fame talent on offense. Whether it was LT, aikman, emmit, irvin, gates, etc he has had success when he has had not good, but literally EPIC talent to work with.

This is a guy who every stop he has been at, minus Dallas TWENTY YEARS AGO, has underachieved and fallen short of their goals. Where is the last QB he "developed", troy aikman? Not to mention, Norv is known as a terrible clock manager, something that we already struggle with here and not a great in-game manager of challenges etc.

My last point is this....look around the NFL at the offenses teams are running. Spread, read option, pistol, etc....is norv really a 2013 NFL OC, someone who can adapt and change with the game? Or is he going to keep using his downfield, low % passing offense that works great with aikman to irvin or rivers to gates, when they have HOF RBs in their backfield. An offense that is so low % with its downfield passing that it has failed in every single playoff opportunity he has been given in the last 20 years. Thats gonna work in the NY winter?

I for one dont want Norv anywhere this team. We need new, young, INNOVATIVE blood at the OC position. Enough with failed NFL re-treads.
    Agreed.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I kinda feel sorry for Sparano. It appears he's getting the "Miami treatment" all over again.

lol at everybody cheering on norv -guy is a terrible coach and by chance have you seen the chargers offense the past few years and they have BETTER talent then we have-also please spare the cowboy references as they had multiple hall of fame players there at the time-norv is not the answer and neither is cam whos team wanted him gone so bad they fired him during the playoff run

Quote Originally Posted by kmsurfs2000 View Post
    lol at everybody cheering on norv -guy is a terrible coach and by chance have you seen the chargers offense the past few years and they have BETTER talent then we have-also please spare the cowboy references as they had multiple hall of fame players there at the time-norv is not the answer and neither is cam whos team wanted him gone so bad they fired him during the playoff run
    Totally agree, if you take even 5 minutes to look at Norvs career you would see underachievement every single step of the way.

Not only are people saying "maybe Norv could work" but we have fans openly HOPING that Norv Turner teams up with Rex.....what a colossal failure that would be.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Probably because the person does not exist.
    The security guard at the gate in Florham Park has been the most quoted person in the Jets "organization" this year.

Last year he didn't have LT, his offense was 6th in the nfl.Your points are good though.If we get Turner, a playmaker in the backfield is gonna be his first demand if he accepts the job

I think this would be a grand slam for the Jets if they can get Norv Turner.

Lets face the facts... Rex doesn't seem to know a whole lot about offense. But he does know who a great OC when he sees one. Norv Turner is exactly that.

I just hope the Jets braintrust can be lucky enough to finally get a great QB in town. The lack of a QB is what is killing the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I think this would be a grand slam for the Jets if they can get Norv Turner.

Lets face the facts... Rex doesn't seem to know a whole lot about offense. But he does know who a great OC when he sees one. Norv Turner is exactly that.

I just hope the Jets braintrust can be lucky enough to finally get a great QB in town. The lack of a QB is what is killing the offense.
    Just curious, what are you basing Norv being a "great OC" on? Has he had a lot of success lately developing an offense or QB?

Heres a quote from Nick hardwick

A lot of guys have been places where coaches, when you're not performing for them or you're not playing for them, you're less than human. To come in and for him to treat you with respect and to know what you're going through at home and in your professional life and everything and what kind of struggle it is, and for him to be able to relate to that and not treat you like a piece of meat, for me, that's when I first gained all the respect in the world for him.

Just what would be perfect here, another, player-loving coach whose teams fall apart down the stretch....where have I seen this before?

The last conversations Rex had about Norm he was basically insulting the guy saying he'd have won a couple Superbowls by now if he was the SD coach. Plus the latest word is Norv wouldn't come here. Maybe he would if we had another coach but who knows.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The last conversations Rex had about Norm he was basically insulting the guy saying he'd have won a couple Superbowls by now if he was the SD coach. Plus the latest word is Norv wouldn't come here. Maybe he would if we had another coach but who knows.
    And Edwards insulted the Jet FO and last time I looked he was on the team again.. I guess some Jet fans take insults more personally then the people that were insulted..