Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norv Turner on Rex's Short List for OC

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Norv Turner on Rex's Short List for OC

Sources: Rex Ryan likes Norv Turner
    Updated: January 2, 2013, 10:13 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Though no official decision has been made on New York Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, sources told ESPNNewYork.com that Rex Ryan wants to bring in a new coordinator, and former San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner is said to be on his short list.

While many fans and media have speculated that Sparano will be fired after one season with the Jets, a person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that the Jets have not made a decision on the status of Sparano.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the status of the coaching staff.

Sources previously told ESPN's Adam Schefter the Jets do not plan to bring back Sparano.

The Jets' offense struggled mightily this season, finishing 30th.

The team is looking for a new general manager after owner Woody Johnson fired Mike Tannenbaum on Monday.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly I don't known much about Norv first hand but I hear he's one of the better offensive minds and if Rex likes him that's good enough for me. Now I'm really hoping this pans out. Let Rex be Rex on D and Norv be Norv on O.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Frankly I don't known much about Norv first hand but I hear he's one of the better offensive minds and if Rex likes him that's good enough for me. Now I'm really hoping this pans out. Let Rex be Rex on D and Norv be Norv on O.
    could be very good synergy actually if they integrate some decision making on the sideline/gameplanning

norv wld obv become the assistant HC so that wld be natural

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the status of the coaching staff.
    Probably because the person does not exist.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was OC for the early 90's Cowboys dynasty, was the guy who originally had Alex Smith playing above his head before Harbaugh arrived in San Fran, and had Rivers playing like a Top 5 QB before A.J. Smith let the Chargers offensive roster go to sh*t.

What else do you need to know?

Easily my 1st choice for OC.

Make it happen Gamble/Heckert/whoever the hell our new GM is.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It worked out so well when Rex handpicked the last OC.

(Joking aside, Norv is probably my preferred candidate for the job.)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman View Post
    It worked out so well when Rex handpicked the last OC.

(Joking aside, Norv is probably my preferred candidate for the job.)
    My understanding is that it was a Tuna-Tanny-Sparano connection. I don't know how much Rex had to say about it before the fact.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding is that it was a Tuna-Tanny-Sparano connection. I don't know how much Rex had to say about it before the fact.
    Agreed

Sparano had Tanny written all over it with the Tanny/Parcells ties.

What was Rex supposed to say?

"No, I didn't want Shades anywhere near this team".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It all makes sense

Gamble for GM (49ers)
    Norv Turner OC (Was 49ers OC in 06)
    Alex Smith for QB (Norv coached him and knows his system and obviously Gamble knows him)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norv Turner appointed NYJ HC in 2014.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by movethechains View Post
    Norv Turner appointed NYJ HC in 2014.
    God help us

I love Turner as an OC, but it's been proven time and time again that he can't cut it as a HC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Was OC for the early 90's Cowboys dynasty, was the guy who originally had Alex Smith playing above his head before Harbaugh arrived in San Fran, and had Rivers playing like a Top 5 QB before A.J. Smith let the Chargers offensive roster go to sh*t.

What else do you need to know?

Easily my 1st choice for OC.

Make it happen Gamble/Heckert/whoever the hell our new GM is.
    Forget the GM, just dump Sparano today, and hire Norv tonite. One less issue for new GM to worry about. He aint gonna come up with anybody better qualified anyway....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    It all makes sense

Gamble for GM (49ers)
    Norv Turner OC (Was 49ers OC in 06)
    Alex Smith for QB (Norv coached him and knows his system and obviously Gamble knows him)
    Can we get Gore, Vernon Davis and that O-line too?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Can we get Gore, Vernon Davis and that O-line too?
    While you're at it, please bring Brooks, Bowman, Willis and Aldon Smith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    While you're at it, please bring Brooks, Bowman, Willis and Aldon Smith.
    I actually like Gamble as a GM candidate. 49ers have had some great drafts in recent years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Sources: Rex Ryan likes Norv Turner
    Updated: January 2, 2013, 10:13 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Though no official decision has been made on New York Jets offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, sources told ESPNNewYork.com that Rex Ryan wants to bring in a new coordinator, and former San Diego Chargers coach Norv Turner is said to be on his short list.

Sources previously told ESPN's Adam Schefter the Jets do not plan to bring back Sparano.
    Cimini pulling a Manish on everyone.

Either that or Rex has a nasty mole on his staff. Where's Jack Bauer when you need him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually like Gamble as a GM candidate. 49ers have had some great drafts in recent years.
    that's kinda my point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

It was the Parcells-tree connection and the fact that Sparano had a lot of success scoring points against the Pats since 2008. Remember it was week 3 in 2008 when Sparano wildcat took the league by storm sh*tting all over the Pats D.

I'm definitely in the minority but I don't think Sparano did that bad of a job. Problem was we had 0 talent at the skill positions, a mediocre OL, no blocking TE or 3rd down back, the Tebow circus and being forced to work him into the offense and Sanchez just had his head in his ass. Perfect storm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

It was the Parcells-tree connection and the fact that Sparano had a lot of success scoring points against the Pats since 2008. Remember it was week 3 in 2008 when Sparano wildcat took the league by storm sh*tting all over the Pats D.

I'm definitely in the minority but I don't think Sparano did that bad of a job. Problem was we had 0 talent at the skill positions, a mediocre OL, no blocking TE or 3rd down back, the Tebow circus and being forced to work him into the offense and Sanchez just had his head in his ass. Perfect storm.
    I can't agree that Sparano didn't do a bad job, but your points about the lack of talent are spot on. Even when you look at the worst teams in the league they still have a player or two that scares you on offense. The Lions really underachieved even with Stafford at QB and the best WR in the NFL. Similarly, the Cardinals won fewer games than the Jets but Larry Fitzgerald is a guy who you have to plan for and double cover on defense.

What offensive player on the Jets scares ANYONE??? Our biggest offensive weapon is probably Santonio Holmes and he'd be considered what, maybe a Top 15 WR in the NFL? We didn't send a single offensive player to the Pro Bowl. Our best RB and best TE likely wouldn't start on at least 15 to 20 other teams in the NFL. Maybe we could get by if we had Aaron Rogers or Peyton Manning throwing to this cast of characters, but we didn't even have a decent QB. So yeah, Sparano didn't have a lot to work with. And, the "architect" of this talent (cess) pool on offense was rightly canned on Monday.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-03-2013 at 03:02 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't mind Norv at all. Yes Please!!

He's a proven OC in the NFL and is a class above the bums - Shoddy and Sparano field goal fist pump