Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tweets & News 1/3

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
    Bill Polian: "Moneyball does not work in the NFL" http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I'm quoting Shuler here, but this is really just a devil's advocate position to the slew of fans going after Mehta.

Why the hate, exactly?

The way I see it, it's killing the messenger, or maybe more accurate, the inevitable by-product.

Mehta is essentially a creation of the running carnival that is Florham Park. If the Jets were run differently, if it were a professional, disciplined franchise, Mehta couldn't report what he writes. Their isn't ONE deepthroat. There are leaks everywhere. FP is the sports version of Washington.

Say what you will, Mehta seemingly is out-working the other slobs, getting all the big scoops. He's kicking everyone of his competitors asses. He has all the sources. What story has he completely made up? Do you really believe Rex (who has proven to be a liar) over Mehta in a he said she said?

Bottom line: Mehta is a creation of the mess, not the cause.
    OR and more likely - He's simply making Sh-- up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
    Bill Polian: "Moneyball does not work in the NFL" http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl
    I know the sabermatricians will disagree but Polian is right. Football is a team game and one's performance is effected by those around him. Stats are much more indicative of a player's skill in baseball than they are in football.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I don't follow him on twitter nor to I read any of the sports pages on the daily news website because of this. In fact the only beat writer I follow is Connor Orr who tends to stay above the fray when it comes to creating stories vs. reporting them.

The funny thing is everyone loved Mehta when he was Cimini's backup at the daily news. Then Cimini left and Mehta was tasked with filling the douche bag position
    People don't understand how the media works.Mehta,Cimini,Francesa or whoever are not in the business of pleasing Jets fans or the NYJ.They're in the business of pleasing their editors/proprietors.Mehta is out there to get readership,if people are talking about him then they are talking about he NYDN and therefor reading the NYDN and that in turn means advertisers will invest.In many cases depending on the news organisation the more controversial the better.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    OR and more likely - He's simply making Sh-- up.
    What has he made up?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    You would think this is obvious, but I guess not. If you think Mehta adds nothing of value and you want him off the Jets beat, stop reading his articles and following his tweets. Jesus.
    'Zackly

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I were a GM I would take the Jets job over the Jacksonville job for one important reason.

Tim Tebow.

Tim Tebow is going to go to Jacksonville, which he should have done in the first place. The GM/HC are going to have to be all in on Tebow if they want to go to Jacksonville.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    What has he made up?
    Just in the past two days...

1) He claimed the Jets were in violation of the NFL rules yesterday, when in fact they were not.

2) Today he claimed during the season Jet players were telling him how bad Sparano play calling was..lacking creativity etc...Yet for some reason he didn't report during the season...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Source: Jets fire strength coach: Bill Hughan, the head strength-and-conditioning coach, has been fired aft... http://es.pn/VF8UOG #nyj

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Source: Jets fire strength coach: Bill Hughan, the head strength-and-conditioning coach, has been fired aft... http://es.pn/VF8UOG #nyj
    No doubt the reason we sucked this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    He couldn't keep Chaz "Humpty Dumpty" Schillens in 1 piece. HE WOULDA BEEN OUR SUPABOWL MVP DOE!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Not the main reason, but part of the reason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I know the sabermatricians will disagree but Polian is right. Football is a team game and one's performance is effected by those around him. Stats are much more indicative of a player's skill in baseball than they are in football.
    The sabermetrician argument would be that the stats need to be overhauled to effectively capture a player's true performance/value. One thing not mentioned as a reason it would not work is the trade market. NFL teams don't trade players for players. Identifying undervalued assets on other rosters is useless if you can't trade for them. At best it would allow you to ID the most cost effective free agents which you could potentially scoop up quickly and cheaply while other teams bid for the marquee names.

One other issue is differences in schemes whether its West Coast Offense vs Coryell or 4-3 vs 3-4 D. It's not like baseball where a centerfielder can seamlessly move from one team to another in less than 24 hours.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    One thing I mentioned on the FAN this AM too is Bill Polian playing some "kingmaker" out there ... Jets are listening to him on Tom Gamble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Good. He sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Why would the Jets and their fans want someone who would even consider Jax over NY?
    Unless Khan told said candidate off the record that he is indeed moving the team to LA, and they would help in this process.....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

1) He claimed the Jets were in violation of the NFL rules yesterday, when in fact they were not.

2) Today he claimed during the season Jet players were telling him how bad Sparano play calling was..lacking creativity etc...Yet for some reason he didn't report during the season...
    He was partly right. What he should have said was that if the Jets don't have a press conference by Sunday, they will be in violation of NFL policy. He was assuming they would be since they announced that they would have a PC on Tuesday with Woody/Ryan.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only one who thinks Polian is overrated? His whole team was Peyton Manning. You take him off the team and they weren't really good. (2-14 not good).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

???

#1 actually IS an NFL rules violation. It's a stupid rule, and Mehta is being a whiny wuss about it, but he's not lying.

#2 is a lie? Not every thing is reported all the time.

Give me an actual example of something he wrote that caused one of these fire storms that was actually a lie.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    The new GM will look like a hero if he can fix the salary cap mess and have a good draft. The Redskins and Colts proved the team can improve drastically in 1 year -- I believe that's 10 times in 10 years that a team has gone from last to first place in the division in 1 year. We need a QB, stud OL, pass rusher, and RB. Plus we have a bargaining chip in Revis.
    They also happened upon the best QB prospects in the NFL draft in years. There's no one remotely like that in this draft.