Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez: Where It All Went Wrong

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    He was never good. I just can't recall a time when Sanchez was consistent quality NFL QB.

He's never completed over 60%, he's led the league in INT's over his four years.

I'm not sure he regressed as much as he's just terrible.
    I gave him a pass his first couple of seasons since he was atleast contributing to the team winning games. The last two seasons he had a large part of the team losing games. It's too bad it didn't work out but i'm done with Sanchez.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Point.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    I think it all began to go south for Sanchez when the JETS told him to slide rather than go for the extra yards. It sent a clear message that the defense will win the games and to be afraid of making a big play and getting hurt.

I think it really took a lot of his MOJO away
    He has lost his MOJO. As a man, I hope he finds it. Bangin' *itches is not gonna help him in the football field. If I could Mark anything...I would tell him that "even Michael Jordan had off nights...but at the end of the day he knew he was Michael Jordan.". The reality is that Mark is 99.9% to be a Jet next year. I think he has to work on his reads because he is making the same mistakes of not seeing the gut underneath and the safety crossing the route for an int. I think he needs to take ownership of the offense and tell coach--look these are the passing plays I can thrive or we can tweak these things to where I think I can make plays. He should do a better job communicating with his lineman on what is going with the pass protection and tell them I can do this but you mf better be doing this because we play as a team with one goal and that is to win this f*ing game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been on his case since about half way through his rookie season. I knew he was a bust, but even I was surprised at how quickly he fell this season. He sunk like a stone and I really thought it would be much more gradual.

But the one thing that was always the same about him was the following:

1) Inaccurate - He was just never accurate with the ball. Accuracy is something that you can't teach. I'm sure Sanchez was working on this facet of the game during the offseason. But it just didn't help. This is probably a big reason why had so many turnovers.

2) Staring down receivers - He always did that as far back as I can remember. Whenever he scanned the field he couldn't hit his second and third options because he couldn't be accurate. I thought it was unless he had the chance to look at his target for a second or two he wouldn't be able to hit it. Well, that is never going to be the case in football. You must be able to make quick decisions, throw the ball accurately and with authority, but most of all be decisive. Sanchez lacked all of those characteristics.

3) Unable to read defenses - He never got any better with this. In fact, there was likely never a time when fans thought he was coming around in that area. Schotty did everything in his power to help Sanchez digest and understand what he was seeing on the field. Always put a guy in motion as a visual aid for Sanchez. He just NEVER understood.

Now? I don't care. I want the team to move on. Sanchez had his chance and he blew it. I wish the kid well in all of his future endeavors, it just won't be with the NYJ.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched that butt fumble and is it possible Sanchez was down by contact? He fell down with a defender wrapping his arms around Sanchez's legs. He slams down on his back then the ball comes out. If you are on you back and a defender is on your legs isn't that down by contact? The ball is on his chest with his hands around it until his back hits the ground. The defender is clearly grabbing his ankles. Of course the Pats could have only scored 45 without that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
    He has lost his MOJO. As a man, I hope he finds it. Bangin' *itches is not gonna help him in the football field. If I could Mark anything...I would tell him that "even Michael Jordan had off nights...but at the end of the day he knew he was Michael Jordan.". The reality is that Mark is 99.9% to be a Jet next year. I think he has to work on his reads because he is making the same mistakes of not seeing the gut underneath and the safety crossing the route for an int. I think he needs to take ownership of the offense and tell coach--look these are the passing plays I can thrive or we can tweak these things to where I think I can make plays. He should do a better job communicating with his lineman on what is going with the pass protection and tell them I can do this but you mf better be doing this because we play as a team with one goal and that is to win this f*ing game.
    The problem is those are all foundations of a QB. You need to have them to at least be a good QB. The best case is to obviously trade him but the next scenario is to draft a QB and have an open competition next season.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    good article just reinforces what alot of us see on the sidelines during the games..the guy is just not a leader plain and simple..nice guy is great..but you need a leader at that position and sometimes a leader cant be nice!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    In his autobiography, "Play Like You Mean It," Jets coach Rex Ryan described his awe at seeing 24 receivers volunteer to catch passes during Sanchez's pre-draft workout for the team—as if the more friends Sanchez had, the better quarterback he must be. "I can't think of anybody who doesn't like Mark Sanchez," Ryan wrote, and that sentiment holds true today.
    This is why both Rex Ryan and Sanchez should be gone. It's obvious that Rex simply liked Sanchez and saw in him a kindred, likable spirit.

In both cases, likable does not translate into leadership or good execution.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    This is why both Rex Ryan and Sanchez should be gone. It's obvious that Rex simply liked Sanchez and saw in him a kindred, likable spirit.

In both cases, likable does not translate into leadership or good execution.
    this is why the gm should do the drafting, and the coach should do the coaching. perfect example.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess, at least to me, anyone that needs that much of a supporting cast is never going to be a very good QB in this league. With all the rookies QB's that are leading their teams to the playoffs and other very good QB's Sanchez is certainly at the bottom of the barrel. From what I have read not many Jet fans feel he can be salvaged but the new GM is going to have to make that priority one. I will be very very surprised if the Jets are able to compete next year, too many holes, too many needs and a lame duck head coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Brett Favre was the same way and it didnt effect him.

Lets stop looking for why this guy stinks. He just stinks. Its not his teammates, its not his personality, its not the coaches etc. its him. Accept it and move on.

Yet you want everyone fired?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    "I can't think of anybody who doesn't like Mark Sanchez," Ryan wrote, and that sentiment holds true today.
    Rex obviously hasn't read JI.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark is a great KID and that is the problem, he was just not mature enough when we drafted him.
    Any player, especially a starting QB in NY, who needs his mom and dad with him for moral support, should have raised huge red flags.
    Then just anointing him the starter and coddling him from day one and not holding him accountable for all his actions, just add to the problem.
    Putting backups behind him that we're never a threat to his position all the while whispering in his ear how great he is, just added to the mess.

Again, I return to the two guys at the draft shaking there heads at the "terrible " pick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Jets' Sanchez: Nothing wrong with 15-1"

When I saw that Sanchez said this after a week one loss in 2010, I knew that this kid wasn't going to be our long term solution.

This one comment showed massive ignorance, arrogance and how out of touch he was with what it really takes to be successful in the NFL.

It didn't help that his coach encouraged this type of sh!t though

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Captain Obvious says that the fact that so much writing material exists about why Sanchez wasn't a very good QB confirms that he isn't a very good QB. The end simply negates all the means in this case.

It's not rocket science for the Jets to determine whether they should be looking for another QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    blah, blah, blah Mark Sanchez sucks monkey nutzz, he's terrriibbllee, gawd awful..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He road the money. For him he went right. For us it went wrong when his college coach came out and said he wasn't ready for the Pros. He wasn't lying. Sanchez wasn't ready mentally and never was. We rewarded him for being a college drop out and drafted him without having enough tape to know what we where really getting IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I've been on his case since about half way through his rookie season. I knew he was a bust, but even I was surprised at how quickly he fell this season. He sunk like a stone and I really thought it would be much more gradual.

But the one thing that was always the same about him was the following:

1) Inaccurate - He was just never accurate with the ball. Accuracy is something that you can't teach. I'm sure Sanchez was working on this facet of the game during the offseason. But it just didn't help. This is probably a big reason why had so many turnovers.

2) Staring down receivers - He always did that as far back as I can remember. Whenever he scanned the field he couldn't hit his second and third options because he couldn't be accurate. I thought it was unless he had the chance to look at his target for a second or two he wouldn't be able to hit it. Well, that is never going to be the case in football. You must be able to make quick decisions, throw the ball accurately and with authority, but most of all be decisive. Sanchez lacked all of those characteristics.

3) Unable to read defenses - He never got any better with this. In fact, there was likely never a time when fans thought he was coming around in that area. Schotty did everything in his power to help Sanchez digest and understand what he was seeing on the field. Always put a guy in motion as a visual aid for Sanchez. He just NEVER understood.

Now? I don't care. I want the team to move on. Sanchez had his chance and he blew it. I wish the kid well in all of his future endeavors, it just won't be with the NYJ.
    In any quarterback's first two seasons with no time to learn from a starter and hold a clipboard, you're going to find those kinds of issues.

The question is: Why didn't he GROW from that point forward in his next two seasons?

The answer is: Rex Ryan only cares about the defense.

We've got to get a new HC in here before we ruin this kid forever.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    might not suck? have you watched a game the last 4 years. rookies are light years ahead of him. or you dont expect too much from your QB

are you getting paid for your schtik?
    Playmakers Mark had his first two/three seasons:

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

Replacement players this/last year:

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).

Find me 1 player that's a better one-for-one swap of the guy he replaced. You can't. We have the worst set of receiving targets in the NFL. It's hard to be a good QB when you have nothing to throw to. Note that I did not list the OL fails. Note that I did not list the Coordinator fail. Note that I did not list the Tebow distraction.

Are you being paid for your ignorance?

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    That is a tree upon which no one should bark. SAR has already explicitly stated that Sanchez gets a complete pass for the year due to the surrounding talent. He could butt-fumble every single play and SAR wouldn't blink an eye. He would still think this team could potentially win a super bowl with him in the right situation. 30% chance.
    While your presentation is dramatic, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Mark Sanchez is 4-2 in the postseason and was the best Jet on the field in both Championship Games. I'm quite convinced that he can be a great playoff performer because he already has more games under his belt than 28 other NFL starting quarterbacks, and his QBR is over 94 in those contests.

We knew what the offense looked like in Cortland in July. And that was when it was 100% healthy. Take away Keller, Holmes, and Hill and combine it with an awful OL and a running game that stinks and you're looking at a situation in which no QB could succeed.

The 23 year old kid got past his first 10 game jitters and won 16 of his next 20 games including 4 memorable 4th quarter comebacks that turned a disappointing 7-9 season into a special 11-5 season.

On opening day 2011, no one was worried about Mark Sanchez because of how well he had played from late 2009 through 2010. Ryan traded or cut every good playmaker he had to puff up the defense. That ruined our QB. Add to that the OL, the OC, and the Tebow shuffle and of course by November he was a wreck and by December he was a joke. This isn't a surprise.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Don't you know? SAR has "a thing" for USC quarterbacks.
    Not at all.

Could the Jets have had a better "tryout" for a QB than they did with Mark Sanchez? Rookie given no time to carry the clipboard still manages to go 4-6 in his first 10 shaky newb games. Then goes on an epic 16-4 run. Then wins 4 of 6 playoff games and is the best Jet on the field in two AFC Championship Games.

Coming out of 2010, boy, you'd say the Jets found a very good kid who is 25 and ready to really learn and grow on the job. Right? You bet. That summer of 2011 no one was talking about Mark Sanchez as a 'problem'. We were flirting with Aso and adding missing pieces like Plaxico, remember? I do.

Well what the hell happened? Did Mark just take stupid pills? Or did the Jets take away every offensive weapon they'd given him and replace them with sh-t? Or did the Jets let the OL fall to pieces and let him get slammed around? Or did the Jets keep an OC who has his head in the sand? Or did the Jets bring in a new OC that had never done that job before? Or did the Jets bring in Tim Tebow to mess with his head? Or did the Jets leave Cortland with the worst offense in the NFL?

I don't have an infatuation with Mark Sanchez. I just know that we had a 23 year old kid that accomplished a hell of a lot by the time he turned 25, still a baby, and was mishandled by a lousy head coach that doesn't give a damn about offense.

Let's find out. Let's see if he sucks outright or just needs a set of offensive playmakers like the other successful NFL quarterbacks have.

SAR I