Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Albert Breer On WFAN

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    He said give him the "authority" to fire him. Of course he may want to keep him. But, Gamble - or anyone else - may want to actually ascertain that Rex is the right guy for the job. Its not unreasonable to give him the authority to make a change if he is indeed running the team.

I think the logical move for whoever comes in would be to keep Rex. I think Rex could still be (and, in some ways already is) a good coach. And even if he's not the guy to lead them for the long term, its still makes sense to have Rex lead the rebuilding process for a year and, if necessary start over fresh.

But stuffing the current coach down the throat of a new GM could be off putting.
    I agree with all of this, but I would think that this is a given. It would be a horrible way to do business otherwise. That said, I do think Woody will want to go with a hire who would want to keep Rex at the same time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Most of the GM candidates that have been rumored to interview with us
    are from scouting backgrounds. For those who scoff at why would Gamble
    take the job here are some facts:

- There are only 32 of these jobs in the world

- You are going to be given a 4-5 year contract worth between 8-12 million
    dollars

- After spending years travelling the back roads of the U.S. scouting
    colleges you are going to be able to create your own NFL team

Remember these candidates probably started out as "gofers" in football
    offices and worked their way up the organizational ladder. The above
    factors make any GM job attractive no matter what people & media
    think
    I'm so glad we are looking at guys with solid scouting backgrounds. Forget contracts and the salary cap. Stockpile talent and everything else will take care of itself. For those that want Rex gone.. the only obvious problem with that is that our defense will suffer mightily in the short term. I just want the GM to make that decision.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Wow, I remember reading from our esteemed "news" rags in the area that Polian flatly denied the Jets and that was the end of the story. What a stunner.
    He did flatly deny the Jets job. Apparently he also flatly denied KC as well. Polian has flatly denied everyone because he's comfy where he is in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Another example of the media in this town piling on, with inaccurate information.

Yet they'll be no ramification.
    There was nothing inaccurate, Polian denied interest in being the Jets GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Polian did not want the Jets job - that doesn't mean that he can't help advise us on the situation. Having a football mind to advise Woody (outside of Rex, thank God) is a huge help.
    This guy gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Last nite Doosh lagreca (giant fan who should be kicked off Jets coverage) and jody mc were screaming about this alleged diss
    Apparently LaGreca and Jody Mac do not get it.

Polian doesn't want to be a GM. Not just the Jets GM, but anyone's GM. He's gladly giving us a recommendation of Gamble, who he thinks highly of. End of story, nothing to see here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep the defense strong, and find a decent QB until we can develop one
    Defense was strong without revis this year wasnt it?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    He did flatly deny the Jets job. Apparently he also flatly denied KC as well. Polian has flatly denied everyone because he's comfy where he is in the studio.

There was nothing inaccurate, Polian denied interest in being the Jets GM.

This guy gets it.

Apparently LaGreca and Jody Mac do not get it.

Polian doesn't want to be a GM. Not just the Jets GM, but anyone's GM. He's gladly giving us a recommendation of Gamble, who he thinks highly of. End of story, nothing to see here.

Plus he's 70, or older.
    We have enough :cane_shakers: here as it is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I agree with all of this, but I would think that this is a given. It would be a horrible way to do business otherwise. That said, I do think Woody will want to go with a hire who would want to keep Rex at the same time.
    It's not always a given especially with teams with strong willed owners. I think what everyone is saying is that they don't Rex to be an obstacle of getting the best GM possible whether that's Woody stubbornly only hiring one that wants to keep him or not giving the new GM full authority. A GM is the architect of your team and could be with us for a decade or more. I want Rex to get another year, but if losing him means we can get an A+ GM then I will accept it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    He may be our leading choice, but are we his? That's the million dollar question.
    I think Gamble is a candidate in SD and Jax also. But from what I have read, SD may go with Telesco from Indy's front office and then bring in Arians as HC to work with Chuck Pagano's brother who is still the DC in SD.

As far as Jax, I've read that they are also really high on Caldwell from Atlanta who has a previous working relationship with Mularky, their current HC.

So let's say Gamble would prefer to remain with SF to stay of the west coast, we then would turn to Ross.

Ross has been mentioned as a candidate in Carolina and SD. The media in Carolina seems to think he is their third choice behind Beane and Gettleman.

So even if Ross decides he doesn't work for the Jets and Caldwell actually goes to Jax, then Heckert would be are other option.

IMO, I think we get Gamble.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if he wants a gm job, it's going to be with a team that is not good, and likely, does not have a franchise qb. also, if he wants to elevate his profile and reputation, there's no better place then to fix this team.
    San Diego is better than the Jets and needs a GM. Their QB is better than the Jets also. They are one hit on Manning from being the AFCW champ. The Jets are not even close.
    Plus there he may be able to pick the coach.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    It's not always a given especially with teams with strong willed owners. I think what everyone is saying is that they don't Rex to be an obstacle of getting the best GM possible whether that's Woody stubbornly only hiring one that wants to keep him or not giving the new GM full authority. A GM is the architect of your team and could be with us for a decade or more. I want Rex to get another year, but if losing him means we can get an A+ GM then I will accept it.
    Losing Rex also means that we could miss out on some of the top names that are out there, or the most qualified coaching candidates that are out there.

I would NOT be happy with any GM coming in, and replacing Rex with some young guy on the up who that new GM thinks is ready to make the jump to the NFL head coaching ranks.

In this case, we all need to be careful what we wish for.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    There are other opportunities. Why would Gamble want the Jets? It is not enough that the Jets want him. Two way street.
    The Jets are a totally dysfunctional organization. Why join a down team?
    He is used to quality. Why go down.
    Yeah because all the other orgs needing a GM are a pillar of success

Can't make this stuff up folks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    San Diego is better than the Jets and needs a GM. Their QB is better than the Jets also. They are one hit on Manning from being the AFCW champ. The Jets are not even close.
    sd has a qb, true. that and weather.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Defense was strong without revis this year wasnt it?
    I have no problem trading Revis...but for 2 2nds....c'mon

He's a once in a lifetime talent. At least a 1st, and more

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 You don't get a reputation by beating up girls.. You get it by beating the tough guys and fixing the bad teams..

Does a lion go after the largest wildebeast or the weakest?
    Does a QB throw 20 times a games at Revis?
    Does an attacking army go at the strong point of the enemy defense?

You pursue the area with the greatest chance of success - organization wise or personal wise.

The Jets are a perennial failure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Losing Rex also means that we could miss out on some of the top names that are out there, or the most qualified coaching candidates that are out there.

I would NOT be happy with any GM coming in, and replacing Rex with some young guy on the up who that new GM thinks is ready to make the jump to the NFL head coaching ranks.

In this case, we all need to be careful what we wish for.
    The point is that I trust a great GM to build the team in his vision more than I do Woody. Arbitrarily keeping Rex would be our owner making football decisions which I don't support. I'm not saying get rid of Rex. I'm saying let the GM decide. Otherwise you are handcuffing him for no reason. I'm 90% sure any new GM will give him one year at least anyway.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You pursue the area with the greatest chance of success - organization wise or personal wise.

As are some of their fans apparently... And that analogy had nothing to do with the subject at hand.. That's like saying should I drive to the subway store for a sandwich or get the one that's already in my fridge..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

a guy like parcells is confident to go in anywhere, make changes and win. he doesn't care which market, which team, he believes he can do it.

the key is to find that alpha male gm who knows he can win in this market, and not hire someone who will wilt when things get tough.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    I still think Rex could be fired once the new GM is in place. Woody might only be keeping him for now to hear opinions from these GM candidates. He likes Rex.

Based on reports, Gamble is being talked up big time by Polian. Say Gamble comes in this weekend and blows away Woody with his interview. If Gamble says he wants his own coach, you don't think Woody will allow him to fire Rex? If he really wants this guy as his GM, I think he will.
    YES.....THIS MAKES SENSE.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not so sure SD is a better situation. They have a weak fanbase, they don't sell out their games, they play in a crappy stadium, they're a half step from getting moved constantly and they are pretty much an afterthought in stature and prestige.

Of course, if the dude likes the Left Coast and his first preference is not to come back to the NE, then obviously SD is more attractive. He's got choices, from what it seems, and lifestyle and family life are not insignificant considerations. But from an upside perspective, you can't beat that of having the opportunity to revive the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sooo...

...the Jets AREN'T the weakest "wildebeast" (sic), they're the largest?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not so sure SD is a better situation. They have a weak fanbase, they don't sell out their games, they play in a crappy stadium, they're a half step from getting moved constantly and they are pretty much an afterthought in stature and prestige.

Of course, if the dude likes the Left Coast and his first preference is not to come back to the NE, then obviously SD is more attractive. He's got choices, from what it seems, and lifestyle and family life are not insignificant considerations. But from an upside perspective, you can't beat that of having the opportunity to revive the Jets.
    if he can fix the jets, he's a genius, a savior and can write his ticket. if he can't, well, the team is so dysfunctional that it probably wasn't his fault anyway. no lose for this guy.