- You are going to be given a 4-5 year contract worth between 8-12 million
    dollars

- After spending years travelling the back roads of the U.S. scouting
    colleges you are going to be able to create your own NFL team

Remember these candidates probably started out as "gofers" in football
    offices and worked their way up the organizational ladder. The above
    factors make any GM job attractive no matter what people & media
    think

Good post. I just listened to the Albert Breer interview, hes one of the insiders I respect most.

He basically said that he doesn't think that it will effect their ability to hire a GM with Rex as HC, its pretty much being made a bigger deal than it really is. Breer thinks it doesn't matter for a GM, because like you said if they want to be a GM there isn't many opportunities, and they get to run the team, also the Jets probably aren't going to do much next season anyways and it will allow the GM a year to evaluate how the operations are going. He'll get to decide then if he wants Rex to stay as HC or choose a new HC, which will be a more informed decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He wouldn't be brought here to fix the D. He'd be brought here to try and help fix the TEAM, which is the HC responsibility and something the current glorified DC masquerading as a HC hasn't done.
    well said!

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Good post. I just listened to the Albert Breer interview, hes one of the insiders I respect most.

He basically said that he doesn't think that it will effect their ability to hire a GM with Rex as HC, its pretty much being made a bigger deal than it really is. Breer thinks it doesn't matter for a GM, because like you said if they want to be a GM there isn't many opportunities, and they get to run the team, also the Jets probably aren't going to do much next season anyways and it will allow the GM a year to evaluate how the operations are going. He'll get to decide then if he wants Rex to stay as HC or choose a new HC, which will be a more informed decision.

All well and good, except next year you might not have the likes of Cowher, Reid, Gruden, Lovie Smith, et al available. The time to hire a HC is now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    All well and good, except next year you might not have the likes of Cowher, Reid, Gruden, Lovie Smith, et al available. The time to hire a HC is now.
    Those guys are all available for a reason. Every one has some sort of baggage or deficiency, just like Rex Ryan. But the grass always seems to be greener on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Those guys are all available for a reason. Every one has some sort of baggage or deficiency, just like Rex Ryan. But the grass always seems to be greener on the other side.

Not even sure what that means. Bellichick was available once, so was Tony Dungy. So was Parcells. Coaches like Shula and Noll, who stay with one franchise for a lifetime, are by far the exception. Meantime, other than Parcells, the Jets have always gone for the unknown assistant (Rex, Mangini, Herm, Coslet, Carroll, etc.) and it has never worked. Would be nice to pursue a proven winner for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I would not want any of those guys anyway

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I would not want any of those guys anyway

So what you're saying is, to fill the position of NFL head coach, you have no interest in all of the available guys who have had success as an NFL head coach. Makes perfect sense to me!

From what has been said over the last week, the decision to fire Tanny was made over a month ago. I say this because the firm that was hired to assist in the GM search was brought on board then.

So one has to make the assumption that the decision to keep Rex has been discussed among those that have been advising Woody on this whole situation.

So among all those involved you have to assume that told Woody that keeping Rex would not hinder the hiring of a qualified candidate.

Last I checked Mike Pettine hasn't been resigned as Jets D coordinator. If Gamble is hired he could very well bring Tomsula in as his D coordinator on a nice contract and keep Rex head coach for his first year and go from there. It's a win win for Gamble that way. Rex is his fall guy if the Jets stink and if the Jets turn it around then he also gets all the credit. Also this gives Tomsula a year to learn our players and Gamble doesn't have added pressure of having a first year head coach while he's trying to upgrade talent. Perfect scenario for Gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Last I checked Mike Pettine hasn't been resigned as Jets D coordinator. If Gamble is hired he could very well bring Tomsula in as his D coordinator on a nice contract and keep Rex head coach for his first year and go from there. It's a win win for Gamble that way. Rex is his fall guy if the Jets stink and if the Jets turn it around then he also gets all the credit. Also this gives Tomsula a year to learn our players and Gamble doesn't have added pressure of having a first year head coach while he's trying to upgrade talent. Perfect scenario for Gamble.
    I agree with a lot of what you said here:

Top be honest, 2013-2014 won't be a very good year for the Jets. Any GM is probably looking at a 2-3 year rebuild. Having Rex in there for the first year is basically an on the job audition. If the next GM likes what he sees Rex probably gets extended, if not he moves on to the next coaching prospect with a more attractive team to offer then it would be next season.

(won't be saddled under Sanchez contract anymore, Revis situation will be resolved by either a contract, trade, or he walks, probably a top 5 pick in a loaded draft)

Next year is a plug the holes and evaluate what you have and what you need for 2014-beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Possible, I think if Woody is blown away he will give Gamble the authority to do what he sees fit. But I think people are making keeping Rex a bigger deal than it is. He is a young HC with a good win-loss record, and has the ability to get the most out of the players. Who wants to start over with a retread HC or newbie? The new GM will have enough on his plate already trying to fix the offense and salary cap situation.
    Yes , However Rex does bring a lot of negatives to the position and he will not have Westys special teams bailing him out,the reason the Jets are 6-10 this yr compared to Rexs first 3 yrs in the league was the drop off of Westys special teams ,who always seemed to make a big play when the team most needed it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Yes , However Rex does bring a lot of negatives to the position and he will not have Westys special teams bailing him out,the reason the Jets are 6-10 this yr compared to Rexs first 3 yrs in the league was the drop off of Westys special teams ,who always seemed to make a big play when the team most needed it.
    Id love a kicker who could reach the end zone for a change or a PR that actually ran the ball up the field occasionally

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Perhaps the biggest problem with Rex has been that noone held him accountable for his game management, lockerroom management, or press relations. Tanny was basically a fanboy. If we get a strong GM in place, Rex might turn out to be a decent HC. If not, we'll have a new one in 2014.

As for STs, it was bizarre how badly they played this year. Worrisome for next year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Id love a kicker who could reach the end zone for a change or a PR that actually ran the ball up the field occasionally
    What's wrong with out PR? He set an NFL record this year!

Too bad it was for fair catches

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Perhaps the biggest problem with Rex has been that noone held him accountable for his game management, lockerroom management, or press relations. Tanny was basically a fanboy. If we get a strong GM in place, Rex might turn out to be a decent HC. If not, we'll have a new one in 2014.

As for STs, it was bizarre how badly they played this year. Worrisome for next year too.
    Bingo! With a proper GM in place Rex might actually be held accountable for his actions and this circus would have to end. The GM would tell Rex what is appropriate and whats not. Rex might be a better coach with some authoratative guidance in place.

Why would woody pay polian whenhe already is paying a corporate headhuter to do the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Boomer and Carton said that Woody paid the firm $200k for lead the search for GM.

So between them and Polian helping I hope we can land Gamble.

We all know Woody has shortcomings and is not a "football guy" but I think having these advisors gives us the best shot at landing a good GM. I just hope Rex does not factor into their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Didn't you know? Pat Shurmur, Romeo Crennel and Chan Gailey are all better HC's than Rex Ryan?