Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Signs Point to Rex Firing

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

All Signs Point to Rex Firing

Just my opinion but as more and more info comes out the more I believe that Rex will be fired and the new GM given free reign.

Yes, I know that the press release states that Rex stays, and in the past I would have believed that but Woody is handling this situation very differently:

1. Rex is not available to media this week, possibly next week after his "vacation"

2. Woody hired a search firm for candidates to interview for the GM spot, The main candidates are NOT people that would accept the job with a coach being jammed down their throat

3. It has come out that Polian is advising Woody as well. Polian also would be unlikely to help in such a stipulation. Polian has made it clear on Sirius that staff and HC control is critical to a GM

4. All of the candidates have heavy personnel and scouting backgrounds and believe in building through the draft. Rex wants more say in coaches and players, yet we are pursuing people that would not want his input.

5. When we originally hear rumours about Tanny being let go it was that he would be reassigned. But he was released outright. That was a pretty uncharacteristic move by Woody, and indicates he is listening to the advice he is getting from his advisors.

6. No moves have been made on the coaching staff yet. If Rex were truly staying then he would be actively doing those changes now, trying to lock up the best candidates. Instead, they seem to be waiting for the GM, and if the GM is overseeing coordinator decisions he will be overseeing the HC position as well.

So we some words from Woody saying that Rex stays but all of his actions paint a different story. I believe that Woody is doing this correctly and the fate of Rex will lie with the GM. And the candidates he is looking at are VERY unlikely to want to keep Rex.

My prediction: Jets get Gamble and Greg Roman is named HC shortly after.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You probably should've put "My Opinion" in the thread title.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's hope you're right.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    What difference does it make? If a "reporter" wrote an article it would be their opinion too.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What difference does it make? If a "reporter" wrote an article it would be their opinion too.
    Because I thought there might've been something worth reading based on the thread title....but alas, it was another of the many theories that have graced this board since Tanny was fired.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than he's the OC for the Niners, I don't know much about Roman. (I don't follow college football.) You folks like the guy?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the OP. I think Woody is keeping Rex around to see what these GM candidates think of him. To see if they feel he's as good as Woody may think he is.

If a guy like Gamble knocks his interview out of the park, but tells Woody he wants to bring in his own coach, then Rex will be let go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with both you and the OP.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    LEL

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Other than he's the OC for the Niners, I don't know much about Roman. (I don't follow college football.) You folks like the guy?
    Jersey boy. Worked with Harbaugh at Stanford and worked for the Panthers, Ravens and someone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because I thought there might've been something worth reading based on the thread title....but alas, it was another of the many theories that have graced this board since Tanny was fired.
    Fair enough but what were you expecting? No matter what you were going to get an opinion. Either from a beat reporter or a poster. The "journalists" speculate just like the board members, the only difference is they get paid to do it. IMO that doesn't make it any more "worth reading".

Just my $.02.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough but what were you expecting? No matter what you were going to get an opinion. Either from a beat reporter or a poster. The "journalists" speculate just like the board members, the only difference is they get paid to do it. IMO that doesn't make it any more "worth reading".

Just my $.02.
    some journalists are a little more credible than others, and posters for that matter.

Unfortunately, our beat writers haven't exactly been upper tier lately.

But i'm sure you get my point.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

Not the biggest fan of your posts, but when you hit, you hit.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Jersey boy. Worked with Harbaugh at Stanford and worked for the Panthers, Ravens and someone else.
    Thanks, Ches. So he's well regarded?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Thanks, Ches. So he's well regarded?
    Apparently, which bodes the question, why are the Jets looking at him? lol

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Apparently, which bodes the question, why are the Jets looking at him? lol
    Right? LOL.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Just my opinion but as more and more info comes out the more I believe that Rex will be fired and the new GM given free reign.

Yes, I know that the press release states that Rex stays, and in the past I would have believed that but Woody is handling this situation very differently:

1. Rex is not available to media this week, possibly next week after his "vacation"

2. Woody hired a search firm for candidates to interview for the GM spot, The main candidates are NOT people that would accept the job with a coach being jammed down their throat

3. It has come out that Polian is advising Woody as well. Polian also would be unlikely to help in such a stipulation. Polian has made it clear on Sirius that staff and HC control is critical to a GM

4. All of the candidates have heavy personnel and scouting backgrounds and believe in building through the draft. Rex wants more say in coaches and players, yet we are pursuing people that would not want his input.

5. When we originally hear rumours about Tanny being let go it was that he would be reassigned. But he was released outright. That was a pretty uncharacteristic move by Woody, and indicates he is listening to the advice he is getting from his advisors.

6. No moves have been made on the coaching staff yet. If Rex were truly staying then he would be actively doing those changes now, trying to lock up the best candidates. Instead, they seem to be waiting for the GM, and if the GM is overseeing coordinator decisions he will be overseeing the HC position as well.

So we some words from Woody saying that Rex stays but all of his actions paint a different story. I believe that Woody is doing this correctly and the fate of Rex will lie with the GM. And the candidates he is looking at are VERY unlikely to want to keep Rex.

My prediction: Jets get Gamble and Greg Roman is named HC shortly after.
    Rex isnt getting fired. Woody wouldnt come out and state specifically that Rex is his coach only to turn around a week or two later and fire him. There is no ambiguity in his statement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fivewide View Post
    Rex isnt getting fired. Woody wouldnt come out and state specifically that Rex is his coach only to turn around a week or two later and fire him. There is no ambiguity in his statement.
    There was no ambiguity last January when it was announced that Schottenheimer would remain OC. 2 weeks later... buh-bye. Yes, we know itr was Rex and not Woody who gave that to the press, but the point should be clear. Taking what Woody says at face value is silly. If Gamble or someone similar says he'd be happy to fix the Jets but not with Rex... Rex should and probably will be sent packing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I believe that the Jets are willing to let the new GM decide. I would not be surprised if Rex stays on even if they do let a new GM have the option.