Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who deserves a new contract more? Landry or Revis?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis easily.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I'd prefer a 2nd this season and 1st in 2014. Ideally from a potentially bad team that will net a top 10 pick.
    NO CB has ever produced suck a deal. At best you get a 2nd rounder trading Revis. If a GM is truly dumb enough to give up a 1st I'd be shock much less a 1st and 2nd. Washington couldn't even get a 1st for Champ Bailey in his prime. They had to GIVE a 2nd as well for Portis. That would be like us trading Revis and a 2nd for Doug Martin right now. No one is giving up multiple high end picks for a CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry but only because his deal is up. Both are likely asking way more then they are worth. You can bid on Revis next year. He already in making like 15 this year so he has very little benefit to signing a new deal IMO. See if he has recovered and if he really wants to come back he will. Unless you really want to pay him 16 mil for a few years that is. Landry just isn't worth the money people are saying he wants. He is an average CB that is calling for top 5 money. I'll pass if that is the case. We have other options behind him and can draft anther S in the mid rounds need be. I'd just rather not overpay for an average S right now. We can bring back Rhodes cheaper and he is a better S. Heck we have all talked about drafting a CB and moving Wilson to S.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are rebuilding...Revis needs to be sacrificed. Cause Jets have serious CAP restraints. That makes it very difficult to solve all the Jets needs, and still satisfy his contract demands.

The Jets secondary played well with Cro and Landry anchoring the CB and safety units. Resigning Landry is cheaper. And Cro with two more years at $9 mil is reasonable too. Both played at a Pro Bowl level this year.

Without Landry...safety will once again revert to the sh!tfest that it was in 2011. With TE's and WR's having a picnic in the middle of the Jets D.

So if Jets can free up valuable CAP space, and pick up some precious picks. I would do a Revis trade. And so may the new GM too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think the smartest thing to do is to not retain either of them.

It's laughable to pay a corner franchise QB money, no matter how great he is.

And Landry is an injury waiting to happen.

There isn't going to be any quick fix for this team. This is going to be a fullblown rebuild. And I'm sure that whoever we bring in as GM will make that clear to Woody. No more of these bullsh*t contracts on aging veterans just to give yourself a two year window. I want this team to be built for the long haul.

This offense is in total shambles. I couldn't care less about bragging about having the best secondary in the league, meanwhile we're struggling just to score 10 points a game.

Blow this b*tch up and start from scratch.

I can live with 2-3 sh*tty seasons if it sets us up for a decade of Superbowl contention.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense isn't the problem.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry "deserves" it more in that he played this season, played well, and his contract expired.

Revis doesn't "deserve" a new contract in the sense that he didn't play this season, he's coming off an injury, and his current one hasn't expired.

That said I think they'd be better off bringing back Revis.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    offer revis a reasonable contract that will not affect the cap so much you cant make other moves. if he declines, trade him. if he accepts trade cromartie for a pick

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis and it's not close.

One of the greatest players of all time at his position, and the only genuine elite player the Jets have.

It's nonsense that we don't have a great QB or offensive talent because of Revis. We don't have a good QB because we drafted the wrong guy and then inexplicably gave him a huge extension - that's on Tanny and the FO, not Revis.

The solution to our problem is to draft better - and that's why we need a new GM who knows the value of the draft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's laughable to pay a corner franchise QB money, no matter how great he is.
    Maybe new GM will see this way.

The way Tanny saw it, it made sense to give Mark Sanchez franchise QB money, no matter how bad he is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Defense isn't the problem.
    It could become one. Pouha injured and older, Devuito may be on his way out. both olbs are well past it and need to be replaced. One ilb has to be replaced. A good chance that one of our starting safeties will need to be replaced. We STILL have freaking Eric Smith on the team.

This defense, despite some fine recent additions is like a house of cards.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Landry is a poor investment long term. Both of those Achilles' are going to pop at some point and he's going to get a 3-5 year offer from some team and cripple their cap when one or both of those Achilles' go out.

Revis OR Cromartie need to go. It's ludicrous to have that much money tied up at corner.

Before somebody tells me how vital it is to Rex's system to have good corners, I'd like to let you know that I realize and it's why I think Rex needs to go. On top of playing 1970s offensive football with Scrub McVomit playing QB.
    It's not ludicrous to have that much money tied up when it involves two of your best players. And obviously Rex doesn't need it all that much for him to have a top 5 pass defense.

Keep your best players... Sometimes they are going to be at the same position.

The worst investment is having a CENTER being paid as much as Mangold is and not even clearly having him be the best in the league. It's just not an important position.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    It's not ludicrous to have that much money tied up when it involves two of your best players. And obviously Rex doesn't need it all that much for him to have a top 5 pass defense.

Keep your best players... Sometimes they are going to be at the same position.

The worst investment is having a CENTER being paid as much as Mangold is and not even clearly having him be the best in the league. It's just not an important position.
    David Harris, not saying I don't like him as a player, is also overpaid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    David Harris, not saying I don't like him as a player, is also overpaid.
    he def needs to restructure this year.

put some faster better LBs next to him and he will look a whole lot better

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis deserves it more than Landry, Landry has been with the jets one year. Revis has been with the jets for 5. How is this question even asked?

Is your question who should the jets sign Revis for 6 and 75 or Landry for 4 and 22? Then it is a question for discussion.

And everyone that says trade revis fro a 1st and a third- please identify the team and why you think Revis coming off and ACL tear and will not be ready to work out until passing camps at the earliest will have a team ready to give a 1 and a 3 without seeing Revis in a game. Remember this GM has to tell his owner that you need to give this guy 35 mill up front.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I let both walk I don't believe Landry will stay healthy. Revis also is making to much Money for a CB. The Jets have a lot of holes either one of these guys are not helping this team in the state its in this year anyway, again a decent Safety can be found in the later rounds Kerry Rhodes and of course no one can forget Victor Green. I think the Jets as it stands have a decent set of CBs Wilson and Cromartie did a great Job most teams don't have the CBs to the level of Cromartie. Wilson might not be the best but he isn't the worse either. So Revis is expendable he can help this team fill a few holes by being traded.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all these guys arent even in the same ball park as far as money goes so saying one over the other doesnt really make sense.

With that being said I dont believe Landry is going to get any kind of huge deal from anyone.

He has bad injury history and yes he did stay healthy this year but its one year.

Plus he had a good year this year not a great year. He only had 2 picks i believe.

He will get money but not big money. I dont see any reason the jets cant bring him back.

At the very least the franchise tag would work for one year. Would only cost like 6 mil

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Jets are rebuilding...Revis needs to be sacrificed. Cause Jets have serious CAP restraints. That makes it very difficult to solve all the Jets needs, and still satisfy his contract demands.

The Jets secondary played well with Cro and Landry anchoring the CB and safety units. Resigning Landry is cheaper. And Cro with two more years at $9 mil is reasonable too. Both played at a Pro Bowl level this year.

Without Landry...safety will once again revert to the sh!tfest that it was in 2011. With TE's and WR's having a picnic in the middle of the Jets D.

So if Jets can free up valuable CAP space, and pick up some precious picks. I would do a Revis trade. And so may the new GM too.
    This!

Trade Revis and #2 pick for Philip Rivers

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Darelle Revis is an animal. We would have been a 13 or 14 win team with a healthy Darelle Revis. Sanchez would have thrown fewer picks if only Darelle was playing on the other side of the ball. Revis makes everyone around him better. Whatever he wants is not enough so we should just make him the highest paid player in the game and give him the option to reopen negotiations at any point during the deal especially if he gets to feelin' disrespected.
    I remember in the Denver game last year that we had won and Tebow run around to the right and in come Revis to tackle Tebow ; Tebow make a slight move and Revis stands still and lets the freight train go by for another 15 yards or so. I replayed it several times and couldn't believe this god like Revis just sh!t his pants from trying to tackle Tebow. I would show him that replay during negotiations.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    +1

Revis would've caught most of Sanchez's int's and would've returned them for TDs... JET TDs. We should let him name his price and then we should double it.
    Not just typing lol...I literally LOL'd. Well done sir.