Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: Who deserves a new contract more? Landry or Revis?

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,525
    Revis deserves nothing except being shown the exit for picks, he was prepaid $ up front

    Landry should be kept if possible

  2. #42
    Sign Revis Trade Cro while his value is high as it will ever be..

  3. #43
    Let me see if I have this right.....Landry had a one year deal, now needs a new contract to stay with the Jets, while Revis is in year 3 of a 4 year contract? Is this a trick question?

  4. #44
    This day in age, I think it is absolutely ridiculous to make a CB the highest paid player on your team. You cannot win that way.

    Had Revis played this year, Jets would have been a 6 win team. Book it.

  5. #45
    anyone who thinks we should trade Revis is a ****ing idiot..sorry.

  6. #46
    Revis is my favourite but CAP issues make me concerning.

  7. #47
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,313
    Gee, tough question, a player that we identified, drafted and developed, home-grown talent, who plays a premium position, on his way to the Hall of Fame...or a solid safety that has an extensive injury history...

    Come on now

  8. #48
    I'll take the best CB in the game over an average safety.

  9. #49
    Revis though he has zero leverage this off-season. I am worried the Raiders or even Giants will offer Landry an insane contract.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    anyone who thinks we should trade Revis is a ****ing idiot..sorry.
    You sir ... Are a dolt.

  11. #51
    I think our secondary will be just fine if we can keep Cro and Landry locked up.

    Negotiations with Revis in the past have been expensive and problematic. I would rather move Revis to obtain players that really want to be here and can fill other holes on the team.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    I think our secondary will be just fine if we can keep Cro and Landry locked up.

    Negotiations with Revis in the past have been expensive and problematic. I would rather move Revis to obtain players that really want to be here and can fill other holes on the team.
    I'm sort of leaning this way too.

  13. #53
    Revis is awesome. But the fact remains without him our pass defense was 3rd in the league.If we could trade him for a first and second, we could get Warmack and our impact OLB.With two number twos we could draft Jelani Jenkins to plat the other OLB spot, and draft a RT, or RG.To me its a no brainer, but i respect and understand why people feel differently

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    You sir ... Are a dolt.
    in the 20 years i have been a jet fan, exactly 3-4 things have happened to the team that have been great. one of those things is revis...and now a bunch of known it all "basement capologists" "couch GM's" "bathroom draftnicks" and "message board warriors" think that its time to get rid of our 27 year old CB who just happens to be the best player in franchise history (probably already).

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,302
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    in the 20 years i have been a jet fan, exactly 3-4 things have happened to the team that have been great. one of those things is revis...and now a bunch of known it all "basement capologists" "couch GM's" "bathroom draftnicks" and "message board warriors" think that its time to get rid of our 27 year old CB who just happens to be the best player in franchise history (probably already).
    Exactly. You don't trade an elite player - one of the top 5 or 10 players in the league at any position - for a couple of picks just because he wants to be paid at a fair level. Every great player wants to be paid, and Revis is no different. But the notion that he doesn't care about the team is false - he leads by example, and has the respect of his team for his talent and leadership on and off the field. There are lots of wasted cap dollars and crappy contracts on our team - Sanchez, Holmes, Pace, Scott, Smith etc - that are holding this team back. But in no way does Revis come into that category - he is worth his asking price.

  16. #56
    Thats an interesting observation. The problem is your not answering the question.Our defense was 3rd in the league in pass defense without Revis. If we could rebuild our offensive line, by trading Revis, its far from an absurd proposition. Its the N.Y Jets, not the Darelle Revis Jets

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,302
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Thats an interesting observation. The problem is your not answering the question.Our defense was 3rd in the league in pass defense without Revis. If we could rebuild our offensive line, by trading Revis, its far from an absurd proposition. Its the N.Y Jets, not the Darelle Revis Jets
    No matter what, you would still be trading an elite talent, a sure thing, for the uncertainty of draft picks. Building through the draft is important, but not at the expense of trading elite proven players for the crap-shoot of the draft. Keep your talented players and try to draft more talented players - that's how you build a great team.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Revis though he has zero leverage this off-season. I am worried the Raiders or even Giants will offer Landry an insane contract.
    Zero leverage for what? He is a FA at the end of 2013. If the jets want to insure he will be on the team in 2014 and beyond they need to sign him by November of next year. If they don't they still have just a good shot at signing him as anyone else. However the $$ will not be established by them but by some other team. I actually believe that Revis wont get the money he thinks he will 15M+.

    However the trade market for Revis is nowhere where some of you are placing it. If a team wants to rent him for a year, I think the jets can get late 2nd. But that won't happen until camp. No team is going to give a first for Revis and 40 mill SB without seeing him play. They are not more than 1/2 dozen teams that can even fit him under the cap. Realisticaly a team has to be 20 mill under the cap to sign Revis, their picks and their own FA. And the jets don't free up any cap space in 2013 by trading him anyway.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Thats an interesting observation. The problem is your not answering the question.Our defense was 3rd in the league in pass defense without Revis. If we could rebuild our offensive line, by trading Revis, its far from an absurd proposition. Its the N.Y Jets, not the Darelle Revis Jets
    Stats are crap, the jets were 3rd because teams could run on them, and the jets scored so few points teams were never out of the game often enough to go pass happy. Why pass when you can run. The jets even without Revis were very good probably top ten good, but what does that mean? Landry and Bell are FA also. Cro played lights out this year, best of his career by far. To expect the same performance next year is hopeful at best.
    Last edited by patman; 01-04-2013 at 09:08 AM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Exactly. You don't trade an elite player - one of the top 5 or 10 players in the league at any position - for a couple of picks just because he wants to be paid at a fair level. Every great player wants to be paid, and Revis is no different. But the notion that he doesn't care about the team is false - he leads by example, and has the respect of his team for his talent and leadership on and off the field. There are lots of wasted cap dollars and crappy contracts on our team - Sanchez, Holmes, Pace, Scott, Smith etc - that are holding this team back. But in no way does Revis come into that category - he is worth his asking price.
    Revis is (or was) the best corner in the NFL. you said pay him his asking price, his asking price is to be the highest paid def player in the NFL or more than 15mill per and with a 40mill SB. This can be done during the off season, but it will severely limit any other FA moves either signing jet FA such as Howard and Landry or pursuing other teams FA.

    Corners are tricky to project long term. Sanders, Clements, McCallister went down hill fast after 30, Law, Woodson and Bailey played well at 33. As players age the dings take longer to heal, When dinged up a corner's performance is impacted more than most other positions. Remember Revis is no fool in contracts, he is not going to sign a deal where the jets can cut him
    4 years down the road when he is 31YO, It will be structured that he will be on the team when he is 33. He will get his money.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us