Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm excited about the core and the near future

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    When is the last time Rex had someone not named Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Revis or Cromartie?
    Ray Lewis or Ed Reed havn't been with Rex since the '08 season.

Cromartie wasn't on the team in '09 and Revis didn't really gain his reputation for being the best until after that year, Rex's first as HC.

Revis got hurt this year and Cromartie stepped up. But don't act as if you saw Cro's emergence coming.

It's really easy to take credit away from Rex after seeing how players like Revis and Cro blossomed under him but don't act as if the guy isn't good with defense because it just sounds ridiculous. Id love to hear what these particular players think of Rex as a defensive coach. I'm sure it will echo just about everything you hear about him.

We ripped Cromartie in 2010 and 2011 for being a guy who gets burnt all the time and now were taking credit away from Rex because he has a player like Cro?.

I pray that Woody does the right thing

And gets a GM that can evaluate coaches and players correctly. If he keeps Wrecks as HC in name only as Wrecks can only do defense and nothing else. A GM needs to hire a OC who can devise a dynamic offense. The GM must get a very good FA QB when there are least ten other teams looking for the same thing and must use a college draft to get us a good QB ala Kirk Cousins, a playmaker RB ala Albert Morris, two good line backers, a strong pass rusher, and a couple guys for OT. That maybe asking for a lot but we got a lot of holes to fill. GM may have to fire Wrecks as he acts like a Buffoon so he will have to hire a HC. We will need a GM who is a football genius. We will have to suck in 2013 to get a really good QB in the 2014 draft when there is a good batch of college QBs. This is at least a two year project so fans will need patience even if the media fans the fire for a quick fix.
    Last edited by Stillafan; 01-03-2013 at 08:51 PM.

All League
    Great post....I want lb or oline with 1st pick...prefer to drop back a few dlots but doubt there will be any takers....qb's blow this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    How many elite players does Rex need to keep his genius tag? It's nonsense, we should be able to field 3 lunch pail LB's to replace Scott, Pace, and Thomas and still be top 10. Demario, McIntyre and a cheap FA are more than sufficient.
    hahaha elite players? Revis was elite, thats it.. Laudry is close, but early in season when he wasnt lighting guys up he was getting burt or missing some tackles, because he was trying to light a guy up instead of wrapping him up. but he improved a lot..

Cromartie was never very good until Revis went down. We all knew he had the athletic ability, thurman use to say that all the time.. but he never studied or tried to improve, and would get burnt constantly or was king of D interferance calls.. He didnt like being the number 2 on the Jets so he didnt bother working hard. He said so himself. Im not ready to give him praise until he can atleast do that for a complete season, lets see if he keeps up the work ethic when Revis returns. Will his ego get in his way of play again when Revis goes back to cover the #1 reciever?

QB class is not that great this year. We need to bring one in FA to kick Sanchez's ass. I can't see the Jets releasing him. If the draft pans out we will be a .500 team. If we strike gold in the draft and the offense gets going we may catch lightning in a bottle. This also depends on the internal organizational moves we make. This is the time Woody needs to step up and lead and sometimes that means noticing your shortcomings and stepping back so you can let a GM with total autonomy get you to the promised land.

But as far as QB's are concerned next the 2014 draft is where we need to make a move. We will have dumped significant salary by then and the decent players that we do have now are not that old. If we play our hands right 2014 can be something realllllllly good.

Quote Originally Posted by aztec321 View Post
    QB class is not that great this year. We need to bring one in FA to kick Sanchez's ass. I can't see the Jets releasing him. If the draft pans out we will be a .500 team. If we strike gold in the draft and the offense gets going we may catch lightning in a bottle. This also depends on the internal organizational moves we make. This is the time Woody needs to step up and lead and sometimes that means noticing your shortcomings and stepping back so you can let a GM with total autonomy get you to the promised land.

But as far as QB's are concerned next the 2014 draft is where we need to make a move. We will have dumped significant salary by then and the decent players that we do have now are not that old. If we play our hands right 2014 can be something realllllllly good.
    I don't expect to be anywhere near the top 4 picks next year but the talent will be ridiculous if everyone comes out, Clowney, Manziel, Bridgewater, Lee...damnnn. Even Watkins if he comes back 100% next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    I don't expect to be anywhere near the top 4 picks next year but the talent will be ridiculous if everyone comes out, Clowney, Manziel, Bridgewater, Lee...damnnn. Even Watkins if he comes back 100% next year.
    If you draft well enough this year and you get rid of enough salary you can round out most of your needs in 2014 with free agency and then go into the 2014 draft and pull a Ditka if you have to and take that franchise quarterback.

Question is will the new GM be focused enough to pull it off. Have to have a vision and the cojones to follow through.

Jets Insider VIP
    First good thread in weeks :yes;

Sent from a phone using an app

I know that this year's draft is lousy for QB picks

But we need to pick one to give hope to our fans something that they have not any for the past couple of years. Or at the least to have a back up for the quality college QB pick in the 2014 draft. But that means we got to suck like this year's Chiefs who gets this year's top pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    But we need to pick one to give hope to our fans something that they have not any for the past couple of years. Or at the least to have a back up for the quality college QB pick in the 2014 draft. But that means we got to suck like this year's Chiefs who gets this year's top pick.
    there are a lot of QB prospects in this draft but they just aren't the high end, can't miss caliber guys. Somebody or a couple guys out of Smith, Bray, Wilson, Glennon, Manuel, Nassib, Barkley, Jones etc will have decent careers or better. Absolutely got to take one, I would consider drafting 2.

there are a lot of QB prospects in this draft but they just aren't the high end, can't miss caliber guys. Somebody or a couple guys out of Smith, Bray, Wilson, Glennon, Manuel, Nassib, Barkley, Jones etc will have decent careers or better. Absolutely got to take one, I would consider drafting 2.
    You can get a serviceable vet for around 3 mill per year for two years and have him compete with Sanchez this year. I wouldn't waste the pick this year on the current QB crop in the 2013 draft. 2014 is when you make the run.

I think the title of this thread is a bit curious. A team that is in serious turmoil and disarray, and you're excited about the NEAR future? I mean, maybe one can resign himself to accepting a rebuilding effort for the next few years, but to be excited about a team with no QB, no GM, and a lame duck head coach going into 2013? Not so much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks9596 View Post
    I think the title of this thread is a bit curious. A team that is in serious turmoil and disarray, and you're excited about the NEAR future? I mean, maybe one can resign himself to accepting a rebuilding effort for the next few years, but to be excited about a team with no QB, no GM, and a lame duck head coach going into 2013? Not so much.
    Exactly!!!

Ummmmmmmm to the OP the GM WAS FIRED BECAUSE THE TEAM IS NOT HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!

Good Grief!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-03-2013 at 09:44 PM.

absolutely. Many things are cured by a QB who doesn't turn the ball over. The defense sure isn't in turmoil, it has a couple contracts to deal with and one unit to fix. The DL was addressed and is becoming a strength, linebackers are up next. Rebuilding effort for a few years is a laughable notion.

This team already has one very good, on the verge of being great, unit.
    Coples and Wilk's progression has been exactly what the DL needed.
    Landry needs to be resigned and it'd be smart to bring back Bell as well.
    The team is a couple linebackers away from potentially being the D that Rex promises every year. Round 1 will likely get us one of those 'backers.

This year the team would have been at worst 9-7 but probably 10-6 with average QB play. Even better with somewhat above average play.
    I wouldn't say Sparano is good at his job, I would like him replaced, but he is taking more heat than deserved. #6 deserves 90% of the blame, he is just that bad. Get a guy like Alex Smith along with a QB in round 2 or 3 and let's see what happens.

Resign Bray and I don't even see the need to spend much money or any kind of high draft pick looking for a WR. Holmes/Hill/Kerley/Braylon is really good unit and they pretty much cover all the bases that you're looking for out of a WR unit. Obviously, Hill needs to improve. Keller I could go either way on, it may actually be best to bring him back one way or the other, though he doesn't deserve it.

The RBs and OL need to be beefed up. Be smart with the other picks in the first 4 rounds and address these needs.

I don't think we are far off at all if we could only get average QB play. Anything better than that and we are elite. When you have a defense with the talent that this unit has, you don't go into a season with anything less than SB expectations.
    While I agree that there is a pretty decent core or players here, I think you're putting too much blame on Sanchez.

Now I used to be one of his supporters, but after the second half of this season if the dude gets dumped or made to ride the bench next season, I'm not gonna argue. At the same time, if he rebounds under a new OC and EARNS the starting spot again in the offseason, I won't b*tch either. Still have a bit of hope for the guy.

With that said, I think you're forgetting how unbelievably god awful our Special Teams were this year. Turn overs like crazy giving the opposing Offense really short fields to work with. Special Teams alone lost us a couple games.

Just goes to show how good our D (and Rex) actually is. 2 of the 3 phases of the game sucked and added tons of pressure to the D. Yet they still finish near the top.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Exactly!!!

Ummmmmmmm the GM WAS FIRED BECUASE THE TEAM IS NOT HEADED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!!!!

Good Grief!!
    No, the GM was fired because he gave out bonehead contract to the likes of Sanchez and Hunter, and because he listened to Tuna and hired Sparano who had questionable OC credentials.

That is why I said we need Woody to pick a GM who is a genius

There are just too many things that our GM has got to do well. The only bright star in an organization based in ineptitude.
    Last edited by Stillafan; 01-03-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike135 View Post
    While I agree that there is a pretty decent core or players here, I think you're putting too much blame on Sanchez.

Now I used to be one of his supporters, but after the second half of this season if the dude gets dumped or made to ride the bench next season, I'm not gonna argue. At the same time, if he rebounds under a new OC and EARNS the starting spot again in the offseason, I won't b*tch either. Still have a bit of hope for the guy.

With that said, I think you're forgetting how unbelievably god awful our Special Teams were this year. Turn overs like crazy giving the opposing Offense really short fields to work with. Special Teams alone lost us a couple games.

Just goes to show how good our D (and Rex) actually is. 2 of the 3 phases of the game sucked and added tons of pressure to the D. Yet they still finish near the top.
    you are right, 90% was too high, there were other problems. But the overall point i was making is still the same.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    No, the GM was fired because he gave out bonehead contract to the likes of Sanchez and Hunter, and because he listened to Tuna and hired Sparano who had questionable OC credentials.
    Ummmm you are certainly entitled to your opinion but if this all that you see wrong with how the Jest have been run then you and I are watching two totally different teams and I have been watching the Jets now for over 43 years and this has to be one of the worst years I have ever experienced as a Jets fan.

Indeed plenty of the posters out here, not just me, on JI called out and said the Jets were headed in the wrong direction LAST SUMMER!! There were actually Posts out here that said it was Sanchez's fault as to why we had Mason or Plex on the team last year....... total INSANITY!!

Did Sanchez say get rid of his favorite WR in Edwards??? Think on it.. the Jets claimed they had a secret plan!!; "they were going in another direction etc." We literally had over 30 threads out here saying why didnt we bring Edwards back.

Posters out here made up stuff in a vain attempt to defend the Jet FO, such as "Edwards was unsignable, he wanted to much $$$$, he was a locker room cancer.. etc..." None of it was true!!

Then to add insult to injury and to show how foolish we are we bring Edwards back this year and he INSTANTLY became one of our best offensive players on the field!! But he couldnt have helped us last year....It is a disgrace...

Oh and bringing in Tebow was a "football move" when Rex wouldn't put him on the field!!!!

I for one was totally against the idea of bringing Tebow in because he was a unneeded DISTRACTION for a struggling starting QB and he wasn't an upgrade as say Stanton was, but the Jets and Rex couldnt see this!!!

But the truth is Tebow should sue the Jets for false misrepresentation. The Jets have managed to destroy two QB's reputations in one season.... Amazing and another disgrace....

Hmmmmm oh and you mean Rex and the previous OL coaches weren't selling us on how GOOD HUNTER was?

As CMART has meticulously pointed out in thread after thread where is the development of the players on the Jets? It is a joke!!

And that has nothing to do with Sanchez!!! Sanchez has played poorly, I think that they, the Jets may have RUINED him for good so we may have to get rid of him no matter what for NOTHING or next to NOTHING..... Another DISGRACE!!!

And let me clear, I said repeatedly THREE YEARS AGO that the Jets were NOT grooming Sanchez properly. Three years ago...

But I wasn't and am not alone on saying that indeed Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Phil Simms and every other PROMINENT NFL sports observer said the same thing. NO ONE, NO ONE except posters out here have said we developed Sanchez properly.. Another DISGRACE!!!

So this Jets INSANITY wasn't unforseen or an act of God and now people out here once again are saying the Jets are just a player away......

You can't make it up.....
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-03-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Do we have a game next week or is the draft in Jan??