Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Scotland

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    I've been to the UK in March. If you are going to be driving in the country areas, make damn sure you are back to your hotel around 4 pm at the latest. Driving there takes getting used to, and I'm not talking about driving on the other side of the road or from the right side of the car,which isn't that hard. The roads are very narrow and curvy. Takes a few days to get used to it. You'll find yourself bailing in the ditch a bit as cars come at you, or sigh with relief as a car passes you and you didn't hear any contact. In March, it gets dark early and there always seems to be mist on the windshield. Makes the driving very difficult. I was there in March and I probably swore more during the first few days of driving there than ever before.
    A guy in Ireland gave us some good advice. He mentioned the roads being so narrow that when nobody is coming the other way, everyone drives near the center of the road. When they are driving and see a car coming the other direction and it pulls over too soon, they know it is a tourist, so they don't even bother pulling over.

He said that especially at night after the locals have had a few, they hog the road as much as possible.

Turned out that his advice was pretty spot on. You basically drive right at the other person in a sort of game of chicken and at the last second, you both pull off to your own side.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been to the UK in March. If you are going to be driving in the country areas, make damn sure you are back to your hotel around 4 pm at the latest. Driving there takes getting used to, and I'm not talking about driving on the other side of the road or from the right side of the car,which isn't that hard. The roads are very narrow and curvy. Takes a few days to get used to it. You'll find yourself bailing in the ditch a bit as cars come at you, or sigh with relief as a car passes you and you didn't hear any contact. In March, it gets dark early and there always seems to be mist on the windshield. Makes the driving very difficult. I was there in March and I probably swore more during the first few days of driving there than ever before.
    You seem like a guy thats spent the last 35 years traveling the world dodging a warrant for public weed smoking that you could have paid off for 20 bucks.

Amirite?

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    You seem like a guy thats spent the last 35 years traveling the world dodging a warrant for public weed smoking that you could have paid off for 20 bucks.

Amirite?

-
    there is something hanging over my head that would have been destroyed after 48 hours twenty years ago due to expensive video storage .

unfortunately this stuff can be stored forever and it could still pop up and bite me at any time.

damn technology

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Ireland for a wedding about 8 or 9 years ago. Driving down the back roads, ditches on both sides. Uncle Pat (my brother in laws uncle, not mine) is in a rental behind us. A local comes down the road the other way, we keep as left as possible, and keep going. Happen to look back, and Uncle Pat is off in the ditch. Swerved to much to avoid the car, hit the ditch, broke the wheel right off the axle.

Ah, good times, good times...
    Last edited by Big L; 01-08-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    I was in Ireland for a wedding about 8 or 9 years ago. Driving down the back roads, ditches on both sides. Uncle Pat (my brother in laws uncle, or mine) is in a rental behind us. A local comes down the road the other way, we keep as left as possible, and keep going. Happen to look back, and Uncle Pat is off in the ditch. Swerved to much to avoid the car, hit the ditch, broke the wheel right off the axle.

Ah, good times, good times...
    Talk to me when you've knocked the calf out of a pregnant cow in the road...
    Goo covered wanker sliding slowly down the windshield with its tongue dragging after it.. going...

"Meeeeeh.......Meh.....Mehhhhhhh mmmoooh? Ugh"

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I leave for Edinburgh tomorrow night, *****es. Overnight flight, get in early Sunday morning, and our first stop is actually a train ride to St. Andrews. Later in the week we'll be going on a tour to Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle, and the Trossachs. I'm pretty jacked, this should be a fun trip.

See ya later ladies... I mean laddies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Well, I leave for Edinburgh tomorrow night, *****es. Overnight flight, get in early Sunday morning, and our first stop is actually a train ride to St. Andrews. Later in the week we'll be going on a tour to Loch Lomond, Stirling Castle, and the Trossachs. I'm pretty jacked, this should be a fun trip.

If you have time in St Andrews, there is a bar right over by the St Andrews Golf Links. It's called Dunvegan and its a hotel and bar. The owner is a Texan and a good guy. He likes sports. We stayed in St Andrews for several days and had a great time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    If you have time in St Andrews, there is a bar right over by the St Andrews Golf Links. It's called Dunvegan and its a hotel and bar. The owner is a Texan and a good guy. He likes sports. We stayed in St Andrews for several days and had a great time.
    Was just about to post this - the owner and his wife (she's Scottish I believe) are great people. We ate dinner in the Claret Jug room.

As you'll be in St Andrews on Sunday, the Old Course is closed so you are allowed to walk it. Get some pictures on the Swilican Bridge from every angle.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Was just about to post this - the owner and his wife (she's Scottish I believe) are great people. We ate dinner in the Claret Jug room.

As you'll be in St Andrews on Sunday, the Old Course is closed so you are allowed to walk it. Get some pictures on the Swilican Bridge from every angle.
    That's exactly why I insisted we go on Sunday. I want 2 pictures of myself - one standing on the Swilcan bridge, and one standing in the Road Hole bunker.

I'll definitely check out that bar too. I hope they open early, we'll be there in the morning

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you report back - would love to hear about the Bonnie Bonnie banks of Loch Lomand - one of my favorite songs of all time.

Safe travels.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you report back - would love to hear about the Bonnie Bonnie banks of Loch Lomand - one of my favorite songs of all time.

Safe travels.
    Will do, thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, she is Scottish.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, she is Scottish.

My picture might look a little different. I was just reading that Scotland is getting hammered with snow. It's their coldest March in 50 years. Mother****er.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My picture might look a little different. I was just reading that Scotland is getting hammered with snow. It's their coldest March in 50 years. Mother****er.
    Yep, UK is getting snow at the moment. Looks like the worst has already hit, and it should stop by Sunday, but temperatures are not going to be all that high.

Have a great trip!

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi mate,

I don't know if I'm too late but give me a PM if you'd like to know anything.

Hope you have a great time,

All the best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have a great time and imbibe as much of the local stuff as your liver permits.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Gwan yersel bigman

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also Ma'Belles Tavern is a legendary local pub

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be cool in Edinburgh any time of the year. In and out of the shops, museums and pubs, who cares what the weather is like.

As for the countryside though....there's a reason airfares to UK are dirt cheap in March.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like

The right flag......