Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Scotland

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    My last name is also the name of a bar in Edinburgh.
    Stevey Cornerstone? Is that you?

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    Edward James Publichouse

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Edward James Publichouse

Skippy Stonewall lll's Casa de dEpantsing Edinburgh!!!
    Last edited by 32green; 01-04-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

-
    Edward James Publichouse
    You fools. I inadvertently set you up for "Your last name is Man Hole/Blue Oyster/etc." and this is what you come up with? Buffoons.

You fools. I inadvertently set you up for "Your last name is Man Hole/Blue Oyster/etc." and this is what you come up with? Buffoons.
    The Dildo Factory. I got nothing.

Skippy Stonewall lll's Casa de dEpantsing Edinburgh!!!

C˛mhan Fhaig

Jets Insider VIP

C˛mhan Fhaig

I can't win with you, JT.

Okay, how about Danny Wetspots?

Jets Insider VIP
    I can't win with you, JT.

Okay, how about Danny Wetspots?
    I don't like it. But you still rock.

For some reason, this thread and question popped into my head. We all know Scotland produces some of the world's greatest whisky. But do they craft good beer as well?

Warfish, what say you?

For some reason, this thread and question popped into my head. We all know Scotland produces some of the world's greatest whisky. But do they craft good beer as well?

Warfish, what say you?
    No.

The National Beer, Tennents, is the worst swill you will ever taste. I highly encourage Paulie to have one.

Scots mostly drink this, or various Euro, Irish or German beers in my experience. American swill (Bud) is somewhat popular too.

There are good Scots Micro Brews, Belhaven for example and some others, but I didn't see any of them on sale in the Pubs.

Hall Of Fame
    damn, I was going to type La Manhole but I became sidetracked

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    No.

The National Beer, Tennents, is the worst swill you will ever taste. I highly encourage Paulie to have one.

Scots mostly drink this, or various Euro, Irish or German beers in my experience. American swill (Bud) is somewhat popular too.

There are good Scots Micro Brews, Belhaven for example and some others, but I didn't see any of them on sale in the Pubs.
    Thanks for your insightful response.

Funny how things work. Scotland is so close to England and Ireland, which both produce excellent beers. Similar to the Czech Republic and Poland.
    One crafts liquid gold, whilst the other (Poland) mostly produces, as you say, swill.

Thanks again. Next time I'll ask your take on Scottish chicks. That accent in bed would drive me insane (in a good way).

Jets Insider VIP
    Innis & Gunn is great and can be got here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm thinking of going to Scotland during the last week of March -- specifically Edinburgh, but I'm open to other suggestions and would like to see some of the Lochs/Highlands. Also maybe some whisky tasting/distillery tours. This would be my first trip anywhere abroad. I chose Scotland because weather is irrelevant (at that time of year it's too risky to go anywhere else like France or Italy, but the unpredictable clime of Scotland never really changes), it's an English speaking country, and if anything goes wrong at least I'm in the UK.

Has anyone been to Scotland before? Warfish, please chime in, and any others as well. FWIW it would be like visiting some kind of homeland -- I'm a quarter Scottish.
    Just scanning this thread you've had some good recommendations already but drop me a pm and I can e-mail you a load of other options.

I'm from about an hours drive North of Edinburgh but live 'doon Sooth'....still get home a couple of times a year though so still in touch with where to go and what to see.

4 days simply won't be enough,try to squeeze a week or 10 days out of it and you can afford to take a trip into the Highlands and if possible as far as Skye and Applecross.I cannot recommend highly enough a trip through Perthshire & The Trossachs.I lived in the Rannoch area for a while and can recommend any number of places to stay and visit.Ideally hire a car and drive the A82,you will discover the correct usage of the word awesome as it carves through Glencoe(you may have gotten a glimpse of this if you watched Skyfall)I'd also recommend Pitlochry and Aberfeldy. Beautiful area and some very good distillery tours(Edradour,Blair Atholl and best of the lot IMO Dewar's World of Whisky at Aberfeldy...you can also raft down the rapids on the river Tay which will be a blast in March!!)

3 or 4 days in the Highlands still leaves you a long weekend in the city.

First off Edinburgh is in my biased view one of the most beautiful cities on earth.it's small enough to wander around but big enough to be a capital city and has that big town vibrancy(Ok if you're from NY everything else seems small but trust me )you won't be short of things to do.The Castle is an absolute must see.It's hard to describe that moment when you are driving through central Edinburgh when the castle first comes into view..properly awesome...you'll know exactly what I mean when you experience it.If you are there in March you might be able to see a 6 Nations Rugby Interntional.It's worth trying to coincide with a game as the atmosphere in town on rugby weekends is like nothing else.Tickets can be hard to come by as the tournament is so popular but I have some rugby contacts so let me know.

Everyone talks about he deep-fried mars bars and haggis and yes that's worth trying for novelty value but Edinburgh also has some great restaurants and you can eat at Michelin star standard in a number of places,definitely worth treating the old girl to dinner at Tom Kitchin's place or Martin Wishart.Take a stroll down Leith way.It used to be 'mingin' but is now upmarket and full of trendy bars,cafes and restaurants(remember the word 'mingin' you'll hear it a lot especially in and around the pub!!).

If you really want to treat the lady then a night at The Witchery is worth spending a bit extra on.It's an atmospheric and very highly regarded hotel yards from the castle esplanade with a top,top restaurant.Great if you want your romantic credentials to go sky high although the credit card may feel the pain for a few months!!

There's basically too much to do,you'll love it especially if you don't care too much about he weather.As I said pm me and I can I've you as much help as you need.Here's a great book I recommend to anyone visiting Scotland...you should find it on Amazon no problem.The guy knows his stuff and is spot on with his recommendations....enjoy

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Title...-9780007442447
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 01-06-2013 at 02:35 PM.

No.

Come on now 'fish you've away 'oor Lang'..Tennent's is braw.Especially if you're partial to a wee Black and Tan (Tennent's sweetheart stout mixed with ale)

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Come on now 'fish you've away 'oor Lang'..Tennent's is braw.Especially if you're partial to a wee Black and Tan (Tennent's sweetheart stout mixed with ale)
    Eh... I'm partial to keeping a Black and Tan as Guiness and Bass...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    One bit of advice ... if you want to get out alive ... the Queen is the Queen of GREAT BRITAIN (of which Scotland is part) and Northern Ireland - not just England!!!

Take it from a born-and-bred Scot, confusing Britain and England, and their relationship to Scotland, is not a good idea.

And if you really want to get on the locals' good sides, anything to slag off Glasgow and praise Edinburgh usually goes down well (though obviously, vice versa when in Glasgow ).
    Sound,sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Eh... I'm partial to keeping a Black and Tan as Guiness and Bass...
    Same idea but I grew up with the Scottish version.A bit sweeter admittedly but much the same

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy« View Post
    damn, I was going to type La Manhole but I became sidetracked
    Woodpecker flew into your window again?

-