Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Scotland

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    somebody put four blue triangles on the French flag.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    somebody put four blue triangles on the French flag.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I just did that because he hasn't released me from Cleetus

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm back from Scotland, *****es.

Wow, what a great trip. Edinburgh is an awesome city with so much character. It's crazy to walk amongst buildings that have existed for nearly 1000 years. The weather was hellish, cold and on and off snow flurries all week, but we got used to it. We didn't go for great weather anyway. Some highlights:

- St. Andrews: as a golfer and student of the game's history, that was almost spiritual for me. We walked holes 1,2,17, and 18, with 30mph winds and hail battering any exposed skin. Nevertheless, it was incredible to be there. Got a lot of pictures of the Swilcan bridge. Was somewhat disappointed that the R&A Clubhouse is smaller in real life, and that big red building next to it is getting to be dilapidated (St. Andrews University stopped using it in 2006). Went to the pub recommended here, Dunvegan, owned by the Texan. We were the only ones in there except for a cute blonde bartender who told us stories about all the celebrities and athletes she's met while working behind the bar. Also went to the British golf museum where the original Claret Jug is displayed.

- The Whisky Experience: a museum in Edinburgh dedicated to the art of whisky making. There's a really cool interactive tour that shows the whole process, and then a whisky tasting inside a room that is home to the largest private whiskey collection in history. There are literally thousands of bottles of all kinds of scotch whisky. The collection was amassed by an Argentinian who eventually sold it all to Diageo for an undisclosed sum. The tasting introduces you to whiskies from the 4 major regions - Islay, Highland, Lowland, and Speyside. Islay was my favorite, and my finacee really got into the Speyside malts.

- Captain's Bar: a really cool, authentic pub for mostly locals. I told the bartender I liked Islay whiskies so he poured me all different ones. Bunnahabain, Bowmore, Lagavulin, Caol Ila were all awesome. A guy came in and started singing and playing folk songs on a guitar, and then the bartender joined in from behind the bar on his violin. It was the ultimate pub experience.

- Loch Lomond: wow, wow, wow. One of the most gorgeous natural resources I've ever seen. Literally stood on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond just as the clouds broke and bathed the lake and mountains in sunlights. My grandmother was Scottish and always used to hum to the tune to the Loch Lomond song, and that was the second almost spiritual experience for me. Incredible.

- Edinburgh Castle: so much history, got to see the Scottish crown jewels that Mary Queen of Scots wore and the Stone of Scone, upon which Scottish kings were crowned until Edward the Longshanks stole it in the 1600s and brought it to England. It was only just returned by the Queen in 1996.

Those are just a few of the highlights from an awesome 4 days. Once I comb through all of my pictures I'll post some in this thread.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question: will Speyside malts work on spouses, as well as a fiance?

Asking for a friend.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I have a question: will Speyside malts work on spouses, as well as a fiance?

Asking for a friend.

I forgot to mention, I didn;t really know what to expect from the Scottish people, because I guess the stereotype is that they are all gruff and and not very welcoming. Couldn't be further from the truth. Everyone we met, from cabdrivers to bartenders to people in the pubs were incredible friendly, helpful, and gracious. I guess because it isn't a really busy season for tourists they are more patient, but I couldn't say enough about how well we were treated. They are really all so proud of their Scottishness, and the country as a whole has so much patriotism and heart. **** the English, I say.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post

I forgot to mention, I didn;t really know what to expect from the Scottish people, because I guess the stereotype is that they are all gruff and and not very welcoming. Couldn't be further from the truth. Everyone we met, from cabdrivers to bartenders to people in the pubs were incredible friendly, helpful, and gracious. I guess because it isn't a really busy season for tourists they are more patient, but I couldn't say enough about how well we were treated. They are really all so proud of their Scottishness, and the country as a whole has so much patriotism and heart. **** the English, I say.
    Sounds like a great time. I hope to make it there one day meself.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like

That's so great to hear; I wish I had been in Scotland when Andy won the Gold at Wimby. I agree about F the English, except my ancestor's hail from every corner of that bloody rock. Here's our namesake tartan...although I wouldn't say I'm close to a real member of that clan.

Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-29-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping to go to Ireland in the summer of '14, so all this information is helpful. I've already given up the fantastical notion of renting a car there, just based on earlier posts in this thread dealing with kamikaze drivers on narrow roads.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I'm hoping to go to Ireland in the summer of '14, so all this information is helpful. I've already given up the fantastical notion of renting a car there, just based on earlier posts in this thread dealing with kamikaze drivers on narrow roads.
    just practice shifting with your left hand and cursing really loud. drive down an alley 40 mph with dumpsters a quarter inch from your car on both sides.
    Last edited by Timmy®; 03-29-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you had such a good time, bud. Any chance you brought back a sample of the local wares?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Glad to hear you had such a good time, bud. Any chance you brought back a sample of the local wares?
    Sadly, no. I wanted to but a) there was no way we'd fit it in our suitcase with all the souvenirs we bought and b) the security in Edinburgh is extremely strict. My suitcase got searched because of a small bottle of contact lens solution.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm back from Scotland, *****es.

Wow, what a great trip. Edinburgh is an awesome city with so much character. It's crazy to walk amongst buildings that have existed for nearly 1000 years. The weather was hellish, cold and on and off snow flurries all week, but we got used to it. We didn't go for great weather anyway. Some highlights:

- St. Andrews: as a golfer and student of the game's history, that was almost spiritual for me. We walked holes 1,2,17, and 18, with 30mph winds and hail battering any exposed skin. Nevertheless, it was incredible to be there. Got a lot of pictures of the Swilcan bridge. Was somewhat disappointed that the R&A Clubhouse is smaller in real life, and that big red building next to it is getting to be dilapidated (St. Andrews University stopped using it in 2006). Went to the pub recommended here, Dunvegan, owned by the Texan. We were the only ones in there except for a cute blonde bartender who told us stories about all the celebrities and athletes she's met while working behind the bar. Also went to the British golf museum where the original Claret Jug is displayed.

- The Whisky Experience: a museum in Edinburgh dedicated to the art of whisky making. There's a really cool interactive tour that shows the whole process, and then a whisky tasting inside a room that is home to the largest private whiskey collection in history. There are literally thousands of bottles of all kinds of scotch whisky. The collection was amassed by an Argentinian who eventually sold it all to Diageo for an undisclosed sum. The tasting introduces you to whiskies from the 4 major regions - Islay, Highland, Lowland, and Speyside. Islay was my favorite, and my finacee really got into the Speyside malts.

- Captain's Bar: a really cool, authentic pub for mostly locals. I told the bartender I liked Islay whiskies so he poured me all different ones. Bunnahabain, Bowmore, Lagavulin, Caol Ila were all awesome. A guy came in and started singing and playing folk songs on a guitar, and then the bartender joined in from behind the bar on his violin. It was the ultimate pub experience.

- Loch Lomond: wow, wow, wow. One of the most gorgeous natural resources I've ever seen. Literally stood on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond just as the clouds broke and bathed the lake and mountains in sunlights. My grandmother was Scottish and always used to hum to the tune to the Loch Lomond song, and that was the second almost spiritual experience for me. Incredible.

- Edinburgh Castle: so much history, got to see the Scottish crown jewels that Mary Queen of Scots wore and the Stone of Scone, upon which Scottish kings were crowned until Edward the Longshanks stole it in the 1600s and brought it to England. It was only just returned by the Queen in 1996.

Those are just a few of the highlights from an awesome 4 days. Once I comb through all of my pictures I'll post some in this thread.
    Awesome to hear you had such a great time and can't believe you got such a calm day at St Andrews

Believe it or not there's even more to see that makes your jaw drop but you got a taste of it in Edinburgh and at Loch Lomond(none too shabby golf course there too at Cameron House).You did well to pack so much into 4 days.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's so great to hear; I wish I had been in Scotland when Andy won the Gold at Wimby. I agree about F the English, except my ancestor's hail from every corner of that bloody rock. Here's our namesake tartan...although I wouldn't say I'm close to a real member of that clan.

I was working at the Olympics this summer and was in the Olympic Park watching on big screens with about 12 thousand others when Murray got the gold.Couldn't believe the support he got from the English people there.He polarises opinion and gets some stick but actually he's a lot more popular down South than people think.The atmosphere when he broke Fed in the 3rd and it began to dawn on us that he was actually going to win it,after everything that has gone before,was incredible.The whole fortnight was but for me that was the highlight.

By the way what's the tartan?...looks like mine which is Gunn

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    I was working at the Olympics this summer and was in the Olympic Park watching on big screens with about 12 thousand others when Murray got the gold.Couldn't believe the support he got from the English people there.He polarises opinion and gets some stick but actually he's a lot more popular down South than people think.The atmosphere when he broke Fed in the 3rd and it began to dawn on us that he was actually going to win it,after everything that has gone before,was incredible.The whole fortnight was but for me that was the highlight.

By the way what's the tartan?...looks like mine which is Gunn
    Great story! Glad you were there for me.

The tartan is Douglas.

One S.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story! Glad you were there for me.

The tartan is Douglas.

One S.
    LOL aye I only ever heard of Douglas with one s until the guy that played for the Bears years ago

That's a bonnie tartan.....you lucked out as there are a few shockers.

Anyway 'Lang may yer lum reek' WCO

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never noticed this thread before...

I'm glad you had a good time over here. I live about 10 miles from Edinburgh.

You didn't pick the best weather eh?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibs View Post
    I never noticed this thread before...

I'm glad you had a good time over here. I live about 10 miles from Edinburgh.

You didn't pick the best weather eh?
    Not the best. I heard on BBC Scotland one morning that this was the coldest March in 50 years. Figures it coincided with my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    LOL aye I only ever heard of Douglas with one s until the guy that played for the Bears years ago

That's a bonnie tartan.....you lucked out as there are a few shockers.

Anyway 'Lang may yer lum reek' WCO
    The tartan thing is really cool. I managed to find the one for my grandmother's name, and I got a scarf in the same pattern. Here it is:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Not the best. I heard on BBC Scotland one morning that this was the coldest March in 50 years. Figures it coincided with my trip.

The tartan thing is really cool. I managed to find the one for my grandmother's name, and I got a scarf in the same pattern. Here it is:

Glad you enjoyed it.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

He's gone plaid.