Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling to Scotland

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I did a trip in similar fashion...got to see some, but not nearly enough.

Paulie - Even if you don't get a chance to play golf, going to St. Andrews is a pretty cool experience. If its a Sunday, you can walk the old course and the city is old and charming. The Dunvagan Hotel is a great place to get a drink and take in all the golf memorabilia. And if you think you can carve out some time to play, there are no better courses than in Scotland. Every small town has what seems like a Championship caliber course. At the very least, bring your shoes and some cold weather gear if the situation arises and you are able to jump on for even 9.

I stayed in Arborath which is a quaint fishing village. Very nice but I'm not sure it would be on the top of your list for places to go if you only have 4-5 days. But, be sure to try Arborath smokies - a local delicacy of heavily smoked fish. I thought they were great
    I know I have posted this before but going to St. Andrew's was an amazing experience.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I know I have posted this before but going to St. Andrew's was an amazing experience.

lol!

Scotland is def. on my list. I've done England and Ireland multiple times.

Def. will use Warfish's itinerary if I can...problem is, my wife is not much on history, scenery and damp, rainy climates. (found that out the hard way in Ireland, lol)

Good luck, Bonhomme...should be a nice photography opportunity too, I envy you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I'm thinking of going to Scotland during the last week of March -- specifically Edinburgh, but I'm open to other suggestions and would like to see some of the Lochs/Highlands. Also maybe some whisky tasting/distillery tours. This would be my first trip anywhere abroad. I chose Scotland because weather is irrelevant (at that time of year it's too risky to go anywhere else like France or Italy, but the unpredictable clime of Scotland never really changes), it's an English speaking country, and if anything goes wrong at least I'm in the UK.

Has anyone been to Scotland before? Warfish, please chime in, and any others as well. FWIW it would be like visiting some kind of homeland -- I'm a quarter Scottish.
    I've been all over England but not Scotland. It's total different. When you speak to people you will see them smiling because they think you have a funny American accent. Driving takes a lot of practice and they drive on the different sides of the roads which can get you into an accident. The roads are a lot narrower also.

I'm a coffee drinker and they drink tea. If you order coffee, you'll get instant coffee for 5lbs with creamer. If you order tea you'll get this big platter with crackers and spreads and a pot of tea for 2 lbs.

I would buy a Scottish wool sweater and a tweed jacket as they are triple the price over here.Their sweaters are the warmest. I got two and I cherish them.

Their beer is different and serve much warmer than ours but is much thicker and taste great once you get used to it. I'm not a whiskey guy so I can't help you there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't generally share pics of me, since I'm an ugly fat **** no one really wants to look at and will get me trolled later, and pics of just me are rare (I won't post my wifes pics online, sorry), but for Paulie, I'll make an exception. Hopefully a small inspiration for his trip.

Fish in the Highlands on the Bus Tour. Would have been near Glencoe.

Fish on Calton Hill, one of many overlooks over the City of Edinburgh.

Fish (not in pic) looking down from Edinburgh Castle, over the City, at Arthur's Seat in the distance, just on the edge of the Old Town.

And finally, Fish just outside Stirling Castle, with his ol' pal, Robert the Bruce.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one expects Brad Pitt.

Nice Pics though. I wish I made time and went to Scotland, I'll have to put on my bucket list.

Did you have any trouble understanding them? They do have their own slang for things. Just tip a couple of quid mate. WTF

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    No one expects Brad Pitt.

Nice Pics though. I wish I made time and went to Scotland, I'll have to put on my bucket list.

Did you have any trouble understanding them? They do have their own slang for things. Just tip a couple of quid mate. WTF
    A couple of quid? That's more than a wee pound.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of quid? That's more than a wee pound.
    too funny

Obviously,I'd like to meet a wee lass but I don't think the wife would approve.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really, no. But I have teh advantage of having grown up with a father who lwas born and ived in Scotland most of his life, and never lost his accent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a Scottish wool sweater and a tweed jacket as they are triple the price over here.Their sweaters are the warmest. I got two and I cherish them.
    That's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

Fish (not in pic) looking down from Edinburgh Castle, over the City, at Arthur's Seat in the distance, just on the edge of the Old Town.

These pics are great, and really show what I'm most looking forward to -- rugged, wild landscape juxtaposed with ancient city structures. Like you said, there's just nothing like that here in the US. We're just too young of a nation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really, no. But I have teh advantage of having grown up with a father who lwas born and ived in Scotland most of his life, and never lost his accent.
    It took me weeks to adapt to the English lingo and a few Scottish guys I came across were totally non understandable. I'll have a beer though is a universal language.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been all over England but not Scotland. It's total different. When you speak to people you will see them smiling because they think you have a funny American accent. Driving takes a lot of practice and they drive on the different sides of the roads which can get you into an accident. The roads are a lot narrower also.

I'm a coffee drinker and they drink tea. If you order coffee, you'll get instant coffee for 5lbs with creamer. If you order tea you'll get this big platter with crackers and spreads and a pot of tea for 2 lbs.

Their beer is different and serve much warmer than ours but is much thicker and taste great once you get used to it. I'm not a whiskey guy so I can't help you there.

I bought a wool jumper at Carnoustie - its become my favorite sweater. When anyone bothers to see what the small logo/patch is (who happens to be interested in golf) they go bananas.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was a great site on "Neds" in Glasgow, very funny with great writing. Unfortunately it was taken down. They're basically pasty skinny guys with misshapen heads and ears who terrorize the public. They wear Burberry windbreakers or tracksuits and drink something called Buckfast.

To be honest, Paulie dressed in snappy clothes and blowing his nose with a real handkerchief would probably attract these morons like flies on sh*t.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    There was a great site on "Neds" in Glasgow, very funny with great writing. Unfortunately it was taken down. They're basically pasty skinny guys with misshapen heads and ears who terrorize the public. They wear Burberry windbreakers or tracksuits and drink something called Buckfast.

To be honest, Paulie dressed in snappy clothes and blowing his nose with a real handkerchief would probably attract these morons like flies on sh*t.

Is this being helpful?

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aye, good points. I'd also add be careful what football team colors (i.e. soccer) you wear in each City, Fans there are all like Raiders Fans, you might just get a full can of Tenants Lager thrown at you if you're in the wrong colors in the wrong city.

As to the Scotland part of the United Kingdom part, I need to figure out how (and if) I can vote in Scottish Referendum (as a born Scotsman entitled to UK Citizenship) for the big one coming in 2014.
    Sadly the only way to be allowed to vote is to be a resident. I live in England, but was born and raised in Scotland (Glasgow, for the record ). I don't get to vote. But someone who was born in England, and now lives in Scotland, does.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Sadly the only way to be allowed to vote is to be a resident. I live in England, but was born and raised in Scotland (Glasgow, for the record ). I don't get to vote. But someone who was born in England, and now lives in Scotland, does.
    So I need to move home before 2014 then.

Got it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Is this being helpful?

-
    yes, leave the ascots stateside

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    And watch out for Neds, got it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My last name is also the name of a bar in Edinburgh. I'd like to get there some day and hit them up for a few (fine, a lot) drinks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's chip in and send paulie a sweatshirt as a bon voyage present. Maybe something reading "William Wallace Was a Poofter, Like All Scots" with a big smiley face.

They love spirited jesting in all of Great Britain. I'm sure he'd get tons of attention and drinks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a wool jumper at Carnoustie - its become my favorite sweater. When anyone bothers to see what the small logo/patch is (who happens to be interested in golf) they go bananas.
    I understand. You get attached to something with the memories of where they come from. I bought two pairs of Clarks classic shoes; they are so comfortable and are made in England, not China like 99%. I only wear them on special occasions. Same with the sweaters, they are like 3/4 inch thick and multicolored and warm as toast. I just feel good when I wear them.