Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets Interviewing John Dorsey (Packers)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    The Dorsey File:

•Has served four tenures in Green Bay: first as a player (1984-89); second as a college scout (1991-1997) and director of college scouting (1997-98); third as director of college scouting (2000-2012); and fourth as the current director – football operations (2012-present).
    •Served on the NFL College Advisory Committee.
    •A linebacker during his playing days, was a fourth-round pick of the Packers in 1984, enjoying a five-year career in Green Bay.
    •A four-year starter at Connecticut (1980-83), was named Defensive Player of the Year in the Yankee Conference each of his final two collegiate seasons, also earning Division I-AA All-America recognition as a senior. Is a member of the school’s 100th Anniversary All-Time Football Team, selected in 1998.

John Dorsey, now in his 22nd year in NFL player personnel, was promoted to director — football operations in May 2012, his fourth tenure in Green Bay. He previously served 12 years as the Packers’ director of college scouting.

An effective player for the Packers during the 1980s, Dorsey oversees the college side of Green Bay’s scouting operations, and also is actively involved in the area of pro personnel.

Brought back to the team as director of college scouting on May 8, 2000, by then-Executive Vice President/General Manager Ron Wolf, the 52-year old Dorsey earlier had been a key component in Green Bay’s personnel operations for nine highly successful years. First hired as a college scout in May 1991 with a focus on linebackers, he was retained by Wolf the following year and, ultimately, was promoted to head up the Packers’ college scouting department on Feb. 27, 1997, succeeding John Math, who retired.

Hired as director of player personnel for the Seattle Seahawks on Jan. 26, 1999, as he followed former Packers coach Mike Holmgren to the West Coast, Dorsey resigned that position just over a year later, leaving shortly after the 2000 NFL Draft.
    Compare his credentials to Tanny who was a lawyer. No wonder we had problems.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ecstatic that Dorsey has been added as a possible candidate. The Packer roster is built to sustain success for the long haul, that's exactly what we need here.

Give me Dorsey, Gamble, Ross or Caldwell.

Kudos to Woody for looking under the right rocks, let's hope he can reel one of those guys in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I don't understand where this sentiment that our line is the first thing that needs to improve comes from. IMO: Brick= Elite, Slauson=Not great, but slightly above average and if you lock him up for 3 years 6 mil or something he can be very useful and provide value for cheap. Mangold is a HOF center. Moore can still play. Howard is cheap and was just fine this year. I don't see OL as a place we need to improve immediately at all, especially when we have spots (QB, OLB, WR) where we have no talent at all.
    Exactly...

Absolutely confusing to me why a few people around here want to go with OL. You can't have first rounders at every offensive line position. Guard is absolutely a position you can and pretty much must cheap out at.

We have massive holes at other spots. Most notably pass rusher which this draft is very strong with.

And I would also be happy with Caldwell, Gamble, or Dorsey. Probably prefer Dorsey more than even the other two.