Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Don't Put Too Much Stock in Ryan's Disaster Season

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sudbury,Ma
    Posts
    2,809
    Post Thanks / Like

    Don't Put Too Much Stock in Ryan's Disaster Season

    Don't Put Too Much Stock in Ryan's Disaster Season

    By MICHAEL SALFINO (WSK New York section)

    The Jets' disastrous 2012 season has soured many fans on Rex Ryan's coaching future. But a number of legendary NFL coaches have had multiple seasons with double-digit losses—and a few have even gone on to win the Super Bowl.

    Since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978, 10 coaches with at least 100 wins and a Super Bowl ring also lost 10 or more games at least twice, according to Stats LLC. Ryan, whose 10-loss season this year was his first in four seasons, doesn't have to look far for an example. His MetLife Stadium co-tenant, Tom Coughlin, made the postseason four straight years as the Jaguars' head coach. Like Ryan, he even took his team to the conference championship twice, only to lose. Then three straight 10-loss seasons followed. Coughlin ended up with the Giants, found his quarterback in Eli Manning and beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichick for the Lombardi Trophy—twice.

    Another ex-Giants (and Jets) coach, Bill Parcells, also won a Super Bowl after finishing 3-12-1 in 1983, though that was his first season coaching. That year, he badly mismanaged the quarterback situation, benching Phil Simms for Scott Brunner. He later took the Patriots to the Super Bowl, falling to Green Bay, after two more double-digit-loss seasons. Besides Coughlin and Parcells, three other coaches since 1978 shook off double-digit-loss seasons to win the Super Bowl—Belichick, Dick Vermeil and Bill Cowher.

    None of this means Ryan (34-30 in his career) is ticketed for coaching greatness. But one bad season doesn't necessarily rule it out. And there's no discounting the chance a coaching change may actually end up being best for Ryan. After all, Coughlin, Belichick and Vermeil all won their Super Bowls with new teams—and new quarterbacks.

    Here are Super Bowl-winning coaches with 100-plus career wins who lost 10 games or more multiple times (since 1978).

    COACH 10+ LOSS SEASONS CAREER RECORD SUPER BOWL WINS
    1 Mike Ditka 5 121-95
    2 Bill Parcells 4 172-130-1
    3 Tom Coughlin 4 151.121
    4 Bill Belichick 3 187-101
    5 Mike Shanahan 3 167-125
    6 Dick Vermeil 3 111-90
    7 Mike Holmgren 2 161-111
    8 Joe Gibbs 2 154-94
    9 Bill Cowher 2 149=90
    10 Chuck Noll 2 119-97
    Source: Stats LLC

    *won Super Bowl after double-digit-loss season

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Salfino does a good job. He always researches his articles to the absolute extreme before writing.

  3. #3
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could not agree more with the sentiments expressed in this article. Ryan is still learning and it would be a shame for us to can him after he has served his apprenticeship on our dime. What he needs is a good OC and a GM who can distinguish talent.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article make way too much sense for anybody on this board to want to read.

    Message to all Rex haters...

    STFU

  5. #5
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good article that puts things in perspective for melodramatic Jets fans here.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    919
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me anyway its not that the team went 6-10 its the way it has regressed and the severe limitations Rex has shown as more of a DC than a HC....

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,408
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many of those other coaches had a tatoo of their wife wearing nothing but their starting QB's jersey?

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    796
    Post Thanks / Like
    The missing Key Point is that the other coaches mentioned did not brag that they were better, smarter, had better players, the best mind in football, ect... Rex is the laughing stock of the NFL , bottom of the barrel teams enjoy kicking his teams Butt over and over again.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty stupid. Good coaches can have bad seasons, sure. But Bad coaches have multiple bad seasons.

    This aligns with the Mark Sanchez had similar numbers to Eli Manning through 3 seasons, so things should work out. Problem is, he also had similar numbers to Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is pretty stupid. Good coaches can have bad seasons, sure. But Bad coaches have multiple bad seasons.

    This aligns with the Mark Sanchez had similar numbers to Eli Manning through 3 seasons, so things should work out. Problem is, he also had similar numbers to Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller.
    Yes, we know that. Did you not read the last paragraph?

    "None of this means Ryan (34-30 in his career) is ticketed for coaching greatness. But one bad season doesn't necessarily rule it out. And there's no discounting the chance a coaching change may actually end up being best for Ryan. After all, Coughlin, Belichick and Vermeil all won their Super Bowls with new teams—and new quarterbacks."

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Caster View Post
    The missing Key Point is that the other coaches mentioned did not brag that they were better, smarter, had better players, the best mind in football, ect... Rex is the laughing stock of the NFL , bottom of the barrel teams enjoy kicking his teams Butt over and over again.
    Rex has never bragged about himself. Ever. What coach wouldn't and shouldn't brag about his players? The legend and myth making continues.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-04-2013 at 12:30 PM.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article is very misleading. Many of the coaches he list having multiple 10 loss seasons need clarification with them.

    Yes, Chuck Noll had two seasons where he lost 10 or more games, but that was in the mid-80s after the Steelers Curtain Defense rusted away and the team declined exponentially and he was a mediocre coach for his final 10 years.

    As for Belichick, two of his 10+ loss seasons were his first years in both Cleveland and New England and the other one was his last year in Cleveland where the team and fans quit because it was announced that they were moving to Baltimore midseason.

    Both of Holmgren's 10+ loss seasons were in Seattle and not Green Bay.

    Two of the three 10+ loss seasons for Shanahan were in Washington, not Denver. And the one in Denver was the first year post Elway when they were trying to find a new QB.

    Both Gibbs' 10+ loss seasons came when he came back to the NFL in 2004 where it was clear that the game had started to pass him by.

    I agree with the general premise that one bad season doesn't mean that Ryan or any other coach may be a bad coach, but I disagree with the evidence they back it up with. Guys like Noll and Gibbs got their 10+ loss seasons after their stars started to dim, not early in their head coaching careers. There is no comparison to Ryan's situation. Same with Belichick considering two of the three 10+ losing seasons were in clear rebuilding years where he inherited a mess and the other was the most unique season in NFL history.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Yes, we know that. Did you not read the last paragraph?

    "None of this means Ryan (34-30 in his career) is ticketed for coaching greatness. But one bad season doesn't necessarily rule it out. And there's no discounting the chance a coaching change may actually end up being best for Ryan. After all, Coughlin, Belichick and Vermeil all won their Super Bowls with new teams—and new quarterbacks."
    Fair enough, I didn't finish. I actually think Rex can be a very good head coach, but I'm not really convinced it will happen with the Jets.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    This article is very misleading. Many of the coaches he list having multiple 10 loss seasons need clarification with them.

    Yes, Chuck Noll had two seasons where he lost 10 or more games, but that was in the mid-80s after the Steelers Curtain Defense rusted away and the team declined exponentially and he was a mediocre coach for his final 10 years.

    As for Belichick, two of his 10+ loss seasons were his first years in both Cleveland and New England and the other one was his last year in Cleveland where the team and fans quit because it was announced that they were moving to Baltimore midseason.

    Both of Holmgren's 10+ loss seasons were in Seattle and not Green Bay.

    Two of the three 10+ loss seasons for Shanahan were in Washington, not Denver. And the one in Denver was the first year post Elway when they were trying to find a new QB.

    Both Gibbs' 10+ loss seasons came when he came back to the NFL in 2004 where it was clear that the game had started to pass him by.

    I agree with the general premise that one bad season doesn't mean that Ryan or any other coach may be a bad coach, but I disagree with the evidence they back it up with. Guys like Noll and Gibbs got their 10+ loss seasons after their stars started to dim, not early in their head coaching careers. There is no comparison to Ryan's situation. Same with Belichick considering two of the three 10+ losing seasons were in clear rebuilding years where he inherited a mess and the other was the most unique season in NFL history.
    In short when they had bad QB play they lost..

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In short when they had bad QB play they lost..
    Unfortunately for head coaches with starting QBs not named Manning, Brady, RGIII, Luck, Brees, Rodgers, and a few others; that is probably the truth about most head coaches.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Unfortunately for head coaches with starting QBs not named Manning, Brady, RGIII, Luck, Brees, Rodgers, and a few others; that is probably the truth about most head coaches.
    If anything, that shows Rex's worth. Again, I'm on the fence about him. I'd be fine with him getting fired, but I believe that he is a pretty good coach, and can be a great one. There are plenty of coaches that are worse in the NFL, and plenty that would have done worse than 6-10 with the Offense they have.

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    688
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets sticking with Ryan as their HC is a good thing.












    - For the Patriots-



  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has to recognize that he needs help and guidance in managing the QB position and the offense. Hopefully this comes from his new GM...OC and QB coach, as well as any other outside consultant types, that are brought in on these matters.

    If there's ever going to be a workable marriage for both Rex and the new GM... that goes beyond the 2013 season. It's going to depend on how open Rex is to learning from these others.

    As I've said before...I have mixed feeling about Rex. But a big positive for me, is that I still feel Rex can beat Belichick and Brady's Pats. If he's given the talent...especially at QB, and with a more complementary offense.

    IMO...no matter who is HC of the Jets in 2013...it's not likely the Jets are going to end up in the playoffs. And another 4-7 win season is a more realistic landing point. So W-L may not be what is going to persuade the new GM, on whether Rex should stay or go. It may be more on how Rex is coaching...handling the team and its problems. How hard the team is playing. How responsive Rex is to input from the GM and others. And of course...whether the GM and Rex share the same vision and course of action...moving forward from 2013.

    Remember what Leon Hess said? Well here at Jets Paradise... fans reactions are like...

    "I'm 18 years old and I want results now!"

  19. #19
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    635
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the Kool-aid drinkers type of article. Isn't this guy part of the media? Why is everyone sucking on his c**k and not calling them dbags? Because this guy didn't say bad thing about their Jets.

  20. #20
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many on the list lost their locker room in year 3?
    How many bragged they were the best in the league?
    How many lived for the microphone.

    The one coach Rex most resembles never made the list ......his Papa......hmmmmm....wonder why his act didn't take his teams to the pinnacle?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us