View Poll Results: Would it be OK for NYDN to out a star Jets player who's gay?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: Out him. It's news.

    10 12.20%
  • No: There's a line between public and private life.

    72 87.80%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 84

Thread: Would it be OK for NYDN to out a star Jets player who's gay?

  1. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was a few years ago, but I think a gay magazine said it had proof (or maybe even someone within the magazine had a ongoing relationship) with a gay baseball player on the east coast. And even they didn't print the player's name.

    I'd say it would be great for readership but a pretty ****ty thing to do on a human level to out someone like that. I don't recall any cases where a figure was outed by a respectable paper (not enquirer or something of that sort), though it could have happened.

  3. #23
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I'll be curious (not bi-curious) to see what people think. Where's the line? Would it be ok to follow a closeted player and snap a picture of him kissing a guy?

    -Yes, because news outlets cover "off the field" activities of teams, it would be acceptable to out a closeted player.

    -No, a player's personal life shouldn't be fair game for the news media.
    Wow...some of you really need to get over it. Rex wasn't trying to hide this tattoo. If he was blowing some guy, by the poolside at Atlantis in full view of everyone, then yes...he's fair game. He's in the public media. Don't like it? Quit. Rex has done more to get his name out there than any other Jets coach I've ever known. It's the same crap as these Hollywood asshats crying about the "attention" they get. It's all good when it works in their favor, like making millions, getting preferred treatment, etc. But as soon as one thing, like that Britney Spears going whacko shaving her head, going nutty on that SUV, etc. gets published, then the media's the bad guy.

    Personally, I don't like the media. But I don't have any sympathy for those that crave attention and then cry foul when it doesn't work in their favor. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Only if he plays Center..
    You should put a smiley so people know you're kidding.

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    You should put a smiley so people know you're kidding.
    But I wasn't..

  6. #26
    All League
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    3,952
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post

    Personally, I don't like the media. But I don't have any sympathy for those that crave attention and then cry foul when it doesn't work in their favor. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
    Would you agree then it works both ways? Members of the media, guys like Myers, Cimini, etc. they crave attention too don't they?

    They pump themselves through television, radio, print and things like twitter. Some of them even write books.

    Wouldn't you agree that members of the media are public figures now just like sports stars and actors?

    Would it be fair for me to follow these guys around when they come to Indy for the NFL combine and take pictures and videos of them while they're out at dinner or have had too much to drink and are acting like drunken fools then send it off to TMZ or post it on YouTube?

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Would you agree then it works both ways? Members of the media, guys like Myers, Cimini, etc. they crave attention too don't they?

    They pump themselves through television, radio, print and things like twitter. Some of them even write books.

    Wouldn't you agree that members of the media are public figures now just like sports stars and actors?

    Would it be fair for me to follow these guys around when they come to Indy for the NFL combine and take pictures and videos of them while they're out at dinner or have had too much to drink and are acting like drunken fools then send it off to TMZ or post it on YouTube?
    I know a women that Cimini is banging that's not his wife.. And that's a fact..

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
    Wow...some of you really need to get over it. Rex wasn't trying to hide this tattoo. If he was blowing some guy, by the poolside at Atlantis in full view of everyone, then yes...he's fair game. He's in the public media. Don't like it? Quit. Rex has done more to get his name out there than any other Jets coach I've ever known. It's the same crap as these Hollywood asshats crying about the "attention" they get. It's all good when it works in their favor, like making millions, getting preferred treatment, etc. But as soon as one thing, like that Britney Spears going whacko shaving her head, going nutty on that SUV, etc. gets published, then the media's the bad guy.

    Personally, I don't like the media. But I don't have any sympathy for those that crave attention and then cry foul when it doesn't work in their favor. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I didn't even make the connection between this thread and the Rex Ryan tattoo thing.

    How are the two comparable? Rex has a tattoo of his QB. It's a little weird, but not that big of a deal, well more than 50% of players have a tattoo, some with more personal meaning than others. But outing someone publicly, is wholly different.

  9. #29
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Would you agree then it works both ways? Members of the media, guys like Myers, Cimini, etc. they crave attention too don't they?

    They pump themselves through television, radio, print and things like twitter. Some of them even write books.

    Wouldn't you agree that members of the media are public figures now just like sports stars and actors?

    Would it be fair for me to follow these guys around when they come to Indy for the NFL combine and take pictures and videos of them while they're out at dinner or have had too much to drink and are acting like drunken fools then send it off to TMZ or post it on YouTube?
    I definitely agree. That's why I don't like the media. They make it out like they're out there for the "fans", when it's anything but, more often than not. I say turnabout is fair play.

  10. #30
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I didn't even make the connection between this thread and the Rex Ryan tattoo thing.

    How are the two comparable? Rex has a tattoo of his QB. It's a little weird, but not that big of a deal, well more than 50% of players have a tattoo, some with more personal meaning than others. But outing someone publicly, is wholly different.
    The poll option was

    "Would it be OK for NYDN to out a star Jets player who's gay?"

    I assumed because of the NYDN reference. I haven't seen anything by the NYDN about outing any Jets player who might be gay. Perhaps I incorrectly assumed the OP was comparing the two. To me, he was implying that Rex's tattoo was a "personal" thing that's meant to be private, just as someone's sexual preference is a personal thing meant to be private. If I'm incorrect, then I apologize. However, if I am wrong, then this poll question is out of left field. Why ask a question like this if it isn't related to Rex's tat?

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,020
    Post Thanks / Like
    The true face of the media...use the paparazzi, as one of their many delivery systems...to present a certain point of view. If the media has an agenda...they'll use the paparazzi, to help deliver their message on the targeted individual they've focused upon. As was the case with going to the Bahamas...and getting a photo of Rex and his tattoo. That was an agenda motivated operation.

    The mentality of these paparazzi operatives...don't give a sh!t what's right or wrong. Their job is to hound celebs and public figures...and noteworthy sports personalities are included. Hoping for something of a sensational nature. And most of the time...the pics or vids taken, have a negative impact on those individuals...as far as how the public perceives them.

    So if two guys that are noteworthy figures, have a moment of kissing in public...paparazzi are gonna pounce and snap their cameras...without concern. Even if it ruins those two individuals' lives.

    Think of these paparazzi types that the media employ...as assassins...killing individuals and their families...without firing a single bullet. The shot they fire...is a picture...that kills more effectively then a thousand words dribbled by rag whiners like Mehta and Cimini.

    For me...the media are scum for doing this type stuff.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 01-04-2013 at 03:57 PM.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
    The poll option was

    "Would it be OK for NYDN to out a star Jets player who's gay?"

    I assumed because of the NYDN reference. I haven't seen anything by the NYDN about outing any Jets player who might be gay. Perhaps I incorrectly assumed the OP was comparing the two. To me, he was implying that Rex's tattoo was a "personal" thing that's meant to be private, just as someone's sexual preference is a personal thing meant to be private. If I'm incorrect, then I apologize. However, if I am wrong, then this poll question is out of left field. Why ask a question like this if it isn't related to Rex's tat?
    That's actually what I thought. I don't think Rex deserves as much criticism as he gets form the media, and I don't think he really thought the media would follow him on vacations (does this even happen to other coaches?).

    But he got the tattoo, he should expect at some point that someone would see it and make a big deal of it. I just don't really see it as being an attention whore. Just a guy who got kind of a weird tattoo.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,548
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the record: This is the guy who took the photo:

    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/q...v2MqMkuLzDUueN

    A Daily News photographer yesterday touched off a terror alert aboard a JFK Airport jet bound for Mexico while covering a story about a little girl involved in a custody dispute.

    The photographer, Andrew Theodorakis, had bought a ticket for Aeromexico Flight 403 to Mexico City, boarded the plane and started snapping photos of 6-year-old Elena Ascuncion Rivera, who had just tearfully said goodbye to her Queens dad.

    A Manhattan federal appeals court last week upheld an order requiring the child to be returned to her mother in Mexico. The little girl had been smuggled into the country at around the age of 3 after her father settled here, but her mother was caught trying to sneak in to join them.

    After snapping photos, Theodorakis jumped up from his seat while the jet was still on the tarmac and said, “I have to get off the plane!’’ according to law-enforcement sources.

    That prompted the highest level of terror alert — which left the fotog in custody and resulted in all 150 passengers and their carry-on luggage being taken off and rescreened while dogs searched the plane.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,954
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    For serious doe, exposing someone's sexuality isn't cool. If someone is gay and doesn't feel comfortable with the entire world knowing, what right is it of yours to out them? That's what we in the business call "being a dick".
    If you feel that way, you should feel the exact same way about a heterosexual being outed for swinging/foot fetishes/etc...

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
    The poll option was

    "Would it be OK for NYDN to out a star Jets player who's gay?"

    I assumed because of the NYDN reference. I haven't seen anything by the NYDN about outing any Jets player who might be gay. Perhaps I incorrectly assumed the OP was comparing the two. To me, he was implying that Rex's tattoo was a "personal" thing that's meant to be private, just as someone's sexual preference is a personal thing meant to be private. If I'm incorrect, then I apologize. However, if I am wrong, then this poll question is out of left field. Why ask a question like this if it isn't related to Rex's tat?
    In my mind, the two examples aren't that different. Rex was on vacation. Not in FP. Not anywhere near the media. The NYDN stalked him and took a picture of him while he was on vacation with his wife.

    I'm not seeing how following a player who's in the closet to a nightclub and then sneaking up on him and taking a picture with him in a compromising position would be any different than this.

    Like Rex, this imaginary player's in public but I think it's reasonable to assume that a person can go out without a reporter hunting him down. The imaginary player presumably wouldn't want his private life all over the papers.

    I'm confident Rex wasn't thinking "gee, I hope a guy with a telephoto lens is shooting pictures of me."

    I'm less interested in the tattoo than the whole idea that reporting on sports can suddenly become TMZ-esque, just because reporters cover off the field stuff.

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,310
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Who are we talking about?
    Tebow

  17. #37
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's actually what I thought. I don't think Rex deserves as much criticism as he gets form the media, and I don't think he really thought the media would follow him on vacations (does this even happen to other coaches?).

    But he got the tattoo, he should expect at some point that someone would see it and make a big deal of it. I just don't really see it as being an attention whore. Just a guy who got kind of a weird tattoo.
    I'm only playing Devil's Advocate here.

    For as much attention as Rex gives to himself, this shouldn't come as THAT much of a surprise that the media hounds him like they do. He's his own worst enemy when it comes to the media, in a lot of ways. I'm not saying the media's right, but Rex certainly throws a lot of gas on the fire.

    Put it this way.
    The team finishes with it's worst record while under his watch. Media breeze.
    The team has yet to comment on either Sanchez or Tebow's future. Media gust.
    The team fires it's GM. Media gale.
    The team is rumored to be letting go of it's OC and it's DC didn't renew his contract. Media storm.
    The team does NOT hold a press conference, which every other team in NFL is required to and has done. Media shytestorm.

    If I'm Rex...I know the shyte has hit the fan BEFORE I go to the Bahamas. If you don't, then you're an idiot. He also knows what he's dealing with when it comes to the media. Footgate should've settled him on that score. If it didn't, then he's an idiot. So, take those into account, along with the fact that you have a MASSIVE QB controversy and you just happen to have said controversial QB tattooed on your arm, along with a profile of your wife who was already drug through crap because of Footgate. If I were Rex, FOR RIGHT NOW, the last thing I'd try to do is draw attention to that tat. He may not have thought the media would follow him (I would've) but he sure as shyte should know that we live in an age where EVERYONE has access to a camera, phone, video, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Suck it up, buttercup, that's life. If I'm in the spotlight, the last thing I'm going to do is expose myself in any way. It might not be right, it might not be fair, but that's the price of fame these days.

  18. #38
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    In my mind, the two examples aren't that different. Rex was on vacation. Not in FP. Not anywhere near the media. The NYDN stalked him and took a picture of him while he was on vacation with his wife.

    I'm not seeing how following a player who's in the closet to a nightclub and then sneaking up on him and taking a picture with him in a compromising position would be any different than this.

    Like Rex, this imaginary player's in public but I think it's reasonable to assume that a person can go out without a reporter hunting him down. The imaginary player presumably wouldn't want his private life all over the papers.

    I'm confident Rex wasn't thinking "gee, I hope a guy with a telephoto lens is shooting pictures of me."

    I'm less interested in the tattoo than the whole idea that reporting on sports can suddenly become TMZ-esque, just because reporters cover off the field stuff.
    It's apples and oranges. See my above post. He knew the spotlight was heavy on him, right now. He was in a VERY public place. Not in a closet, not in a hotel room, not in some office. He was at the Atlantis (which I've been to) and the place is the BIGGEST resort in the Bahamas. Poolside. Again, I'm not saying it was right for the media to do what they did. What I'm saying is Rex should've known better. When you're in the spotlight, and not in a good way, the last thing I'd do is bring any more heat down. He knew he had the tat, knew he was in a public place. Therefore, he should've known that IF the media got a hold of this....bad news.

  19. #39
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arlington, TX.
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    If you feel that way, you should feel the exact same way about a heterosexual being outed for swinging/foot fetishes/etc...
    Again...HUGE difference. Rex and his wife were only outed because THEY posted the fetish videos on YouTube. Granted, it was before Rex got really famous, but still. Michelle posted those videos, someone put one and one together...bingo. If they were afraid of being "outed", then those vids should've been deleted.

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pride View Post
    It's apples and oranges. See my above post. He knew the spotlight was heavy on him, right now. He was in a VERY public place. Not in a closet, not in a hotel room, not in some office. He was at the Atlantis (which I've been to) and the place is the BIGGEST resort in the Bahamas. Poolside. Again, I'm not saying it was right for the media to do what they did. What I'm saying is Rex should've known better. When you're in the spotlight, and not in a good way, the last thing I'd do is bring any more heat down. He knew he had the tat, knew he was in a public place. Therefore, he should've known that IF the media got a hold of this....bad news.
    Agree to disagree about the two examples.

    I get your point, and it's a fair one. Rex is coaching in the biggest media center in the world and hasn't shied away from spotlight.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us