Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prediction: New GM Tom Gamble will be on the podium for Tuesday presser

Veteran
    Added:

6 - Bill Polian pushing Gamble for the job - isn't it convenient that that leaked out??

It all adds up to Gamble on Tuesday. Of course I could look like a complete moron by then, but I'm still making the call.

the odds 'The Jets' get it wrong are overwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Your unnecessary capitalization irks me.
    you too, huh?

I would love to see Jerry Angelo or Bill Polian even show an interest in the job, but it is completely understandable wanting to stay away from this circus atmosphere.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    Added:

6 - Bill Polian pushing Gamble for the job - isn't it convenient that that leaked out??

It all adds up to Gamble on Tuesday. Of course I could look like a complete moron by then, but I'm still making the call.
    Don't worry. You'd be one of many on this site.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 01-04-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Added:

I've been thinking the same thing, good work.

Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    You'd be one of many on this site.
    True, but I'd be one of the few to admit it!!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    the odds 'The Jets' get it wrong are overwhelming
    Think positive maybe Woody finally got it right

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Think positive maybe Woody finally got it right
    For once, Woody made the correct decision and brought in help (Jed Hughes).

They're bringing in good candidates, but can Woody sell them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJets1988 View Post
    you too, huh?

I would love to see Jerry Angelo or Bill Polian even show an interest in the job, but it is completely understandable wanting to stay away from this circus atmosphere.
    Most of you are too young to remember but when Casey Stengel was a manager with both the Yankee's and Mets it was a circus with him as the ring leader.. NY has always been a Circus type of city.. Of course you also had Yogi Berra spouting Yogi-isms and Billy Martin,Mickey and Whitey Ford at the Copa Cabana and banging everything they could on the road..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Most of you are too young to remember but when Casey Stengel was a manager with both the Yankee's and Mets it was a circus with him as the ring leader.. NY has always been a Circus type of city.. Of course you also had Yogi Berra spouting Yogi-isms and Billy Martin,Mickey and Whitey Ford at the Copa Cabana and banging everything they could on the road..
    george steinbrenner. but you can win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    george steinbrenner. but you can win.
    No doubt the Boss had a circus there also.. My favorite was when the Yankee pitchers swapped wives.. So it's not how you act it's if you win or not?? I guess that's why BB gets away with murder.. Or was that Ray Lewis??

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post

I hope youre right. My getting it wrong threshold is maxed out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You bring up a good point.

One of the biggest complaints about Rex (and this team in general) is that they talk too much. People forget we're Namath's team. The Guarantee. We've always been the kings of trash-talk.

Could you imagine if JI existed the week before Super Bowl III? The b!tching about Namath's quotes that week? Criticizing Earl Morral, guaranteeing an unlikely victory?

This place would have gone nuts.

"Why is he giving them bulletin board material???? Cut him, NOW!!!!"

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

I think you mean can Woody "buy them" don't. go cheap here Woody make this happen please!

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    I think you mean can Woody "buy them" don't. go cheap here Woody make this happen please!
    I was never worried about their salary expectations. FO salaries don't count against the cap, and we all know Woody has deep pockets.

It's the fit for the team, and the current state of the franchise that Woody will need to pitch to these guys. Including retaining Rex Ryan.

Lightbulb HIRING SPARANO ILLUSTRATES REX'S LACK OF HC ACUMEN

www.turnonthejets.com

=But the greatest madness of Sparano’s scheme centered on running back Shonn Greene (below, right). The man known to fans as ‘War Machine’ is a classic example of a runner who is suited to one kind of scheme and one only. Effectively Sparano could not have done more to mismanage his number one back.

Zone-blocking demands what’s generally referred to as a ‘one-cut runner’ – somebody who is powerful, disciplined and capable of running downhill (ie going to the ground while at the same time driving through tackles). It’s also essential that he has excellent vision as he’ll be required to flow in the direction of the play and then cut back to exploit any holes that open up. Agility and speed are not really factors because he’ll always find himself running through areas that are congested by defenders AND linemen who are making their downfield blocks. He cannot be an egotist who thrives on big plays – on the contrary he must be a team player who’s happy to collect 80+ yards per game in 4-5 yard chunks. Greene has all of these qualities in abundance.

But to succeed in a gap-blocking scheme such as the one that Sparano implemented, a back must have explosive speed out of the backfield so that he can quickly hit the pre-designated point of attack, and use his elusiveness to evade would-be tacklers at the line of scrimmage. Then, once he’s downfield, he can take advantage of his speed and agility to capitalize on the open space by spinning and juking past unblocked defenders. Anybody who has watched Greene play football for five minutes should know that he is probably the last running back in the NFL who could be said to fit that description.

So why did Sparano commit to a gap-blocking system, and where do the Jets go from here? Well, the simple answer to the first part of the question is that it’s what he’s always done; cats don’t bark, dogs don’t meow, and Tony Sparano doesn’t run zone-blocking offenses. So in many ways the responsibility for this mess lies with former General Manager Mike Tannenbaum – the man who hired him in the first place. But the issue runs much deeper than that, and it highlights a significant problem that the Jets must resolve going forward, namely that whoever replaces Tannenbaum must be able to compensate for coach Rex Ryan’s almost complete ignorance of offensive strategy. Essentially Sparano’s hiring was an institutional failure, and that must never be allowed to happen again.

Veteran
    Hmmmm. This is looking more likely by the hour! Who could have predicted that???

Hmmmm. This is looking more likely by the hour! Who could have predicted that???
    nice job. always give credit where credit is due.

First of all, I hope the OP is right. But i still think the "keeping Rex" stipulation will turn Gamble (and other top tier candidates away). Just a hunch.
    Actually just the opposite. Gamble is heading into a position he hasn't held before and has things to learn. He can now focus on the draft, FAs, and two coordinators without adding an HC to the mix. Plus leaving Rex and his philosophies in place narrows the parameters for all these positions, making the choices a little easier to make.

Woody has essentially given him a free year. If the Jets are miserable next year it's clearly Rex's fault, not Gambles.

I just hope Gamble doesn't end up being way over his head here...