Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 100 of 100

Thread: Rex Ryan controversies updated.

  1. #81
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    CMart, I posted this in another thread and would welcome your thoughts...

    Here is the rub!!!
    I for one am in favor of Rex getting fired. However, while I think that is the right way to go, it doesn't really matter. The Jets will decide how to move forward.

    I see many posters calling for 2013 to be a do or die year for Rex. One poster even suggested that Gamble would hire the heir apparent as OC and if Rex fails he takes over in 2014... My concern with any of that is that it doesn't work!!!!

    If the house was cleaned, the new GM would hire a new HC and that coach would get a 3 or 4 yr deal. Rex has 2 years left on his deal. The right business decision in our case is simple. Gamble has one of two choices:

    1. Fire Rex and bring in a whole new coaching staff. This allows him to mold the team with players that compliment the new coach's vision and philosophy and demonstrates clearly that he has his man.

    2. Extend Rex Ryan back out to three years. This shows in no uncertain way that Rex is his guy! They are in this together and they are committed to working together to get things turned around. It says to the fans that Rex is his man and the best guy for the job and leaves no question that Rex just staying for another year is a money decision by the owner.

    Moving forward with Rex's contract as is would basically be the same as letting him coach out a lame duck year. FA are harder to sign because they don't like coaching changes and would be concerned that Rex could be let go in a year. Our draft (#9 pick I might add) would be geared towards trying to clean this mess up quickly and might have us pick players they would be no good for us should we go with a new coach with a new scheme ( see Vilma 4-3 vs. 3-4).
    While i prefer we go in a new direction now, I can understand staying the course. However doing so is fraught with peril if you let Rex coach this year with no extension... Just my two cents...
    I look at it this way, and I'm stealing it from someone else who posted it...The Jets aren't in a position to compete for the 2013 SB..I think we all know that (at least most of us)..

    So this allows the GM to get a free year...He gets to evaluate Rex as a Head Coach, not as a glorified DC, for a year..IMO, whether you have the most talented team or one lacking in talent, you can still have your team prepared each week and be competitive if you are truly a good HC..You can still show a semblance of organization, structure and player development.

    He also gets to evaluate the FO/Scouts and make any necessary changes, if needed, and then sets up his vision and structure for the NYJ football operations.

    The new GM can also use the year to evaluate the roster and make the necessary moves to free up the cap...

    So going into the 2014 season the Jets will have their FO and cap in order to be an attractive place for a new HC, should he decide he wants to get rid of Rex...If he doesn't then Rex gets an extension..

    But I do see your concern in how do you bring in a good, competent OC and DC for 2013 since they know you aren't "married" yet to Rex long-term.

    That's where he is going to have to establish a vision of what he wants the Jets to look like under his regime (which should be at least a 4-5 year contract) on both sides of the ball...What type of O, a WC, ground & pound, an upbeat, etc...And on D..Does he want a 3-4, 4-3, hybrid and a cover two/zone or man to man on the back-end..So if he does make a HC change next January the philosophy remains so the new HC candidates are in unison with the GMs philosophy...JMO
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-05-2013 at 03:53 PM.

  2. #82
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,938
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I look at it this way, and I'm stealing it from someone else who posted it...The Jets aren't in a position to compete for the 2013 SB..I think we all know that (at least most of us)..

    So this allows the GM to get a free year...He gets to evaluate Rex as a Head Coach, not as a glorified DC, for a year..IMO, whether you have the most talented team or one lacking in talent, you can still have your team prepared each week and be competitive if you are truly a good HC..You can still show a semblance of organization, structure and player development.

    He also gets to evaluate the FO/Scouts and make any necessary changes, if needed, and then sets up his vision and structure for the NYJ football operations.

    The new GM can also use the year to evaluate the roster and make the necessary moves to free up the cap...

    So going into the 2014 season the Jets will have their FO and cap in order to be an attractive place for a new HC, should he decide he wants to get rid of Rex...If he doesn't then Rex gets an extension..

    But I do see your concern in how do you bring in a good, competent OC and DC for 2013 since they know you aren't "married" yet to Rex long-term.

    That's where he is going to have to establish a vision of what he wants the Jets to look like under his regime (which should be at least a 4-5 year contract) on both sides of the ball...What type of O, a WC, ground & pound, an upbeat, etc...And on D..Does he want a 3-4, 4-3, hybrid and a cover two/zone or man to man on the back-end..So if he does make a HC change next January the philosophy remains so the new HC candidates are in unison with the GMs philosophy...JMO
    Thanks... I can see both sides of the argument . As always we will all be here cheering and jeering as events unfold!!!

  3. #83
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Thanks... I can see both sides of the argument . As always we will all be here cheering and jeering as events unfold!!!
    yep...another chapter in the NYJs history

    And I should have stated what I wrote is based on the reports that Woody is insisting on keeping Rex for a yr (so he doesn't eat the $6M left on his contract).
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.

  4. #84
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like
    Facts are; the new GM will have 3 maybe 4 years to bring the team back to respectability, like it or not he has Rex for at least 1 more year and he's staring at 2 years of rebuilding the roster, developing new talent and bringing the salary cap in line.

    There will be many changes - some will be very unpopular. Rex will have to show that he's able to adapt and change philosophies to develop new players. Otherwise he's out same time-next year. We'll see..............like Rex with a veteran team more than a team in rebuild mode.

  5. #85
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    5,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard Todd threw Steve Serby into a locker. Lets blame Rex for that too!!

  6. #86
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cursing on Hard Knocks when he hurt Tony Dungy's feelings?

  7. #87
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    He is one of the good posters on the board, used to be better, still respect him, is great with the updates, no problem with C Mart. But one of the most knowledgable? Uh... no. I'm in strong disagreement with his recent schtick, he's pretty much become a SOJF within a year.

    JonEJet pretty much nailed it.
    Translation: CMart was a great poster when he was a Jets ballwasher/pom pom waver (no offense CMart - just translating here) and saw things exactly as I saw them. Now that he's become more critical, he's not as good of a poster.

  8. #88
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    LOL!! reality now = SOJF..Got it.

    As for your "knowledge"? How can anyone respect your "knowledge" when all you see and write is how get everything is with the Jets, all the time! It's NOT!!! Wake up!

  9. #89
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by We need Sherman Plunkett View Post
    Facts are; the new GM will have 3 maybe 4 years to bring the team back to respectability, like it or not he has Rex for at least 1 more year and he's staring at 2 years of rebuilding the roster, developing new talent and bringing the salary cap in line.

    There will be many changes - some will be very unpopular. Rex will have to show that he's able to adapt and change philosophies to develop new players. Otherwise he's out same time-next year. We'll see..............like Rex with a veteran team more than a team in rebuild mode.
    Jets have holes but any half-way decent GM can get this team to be talented enough to at least go 9-7 and get a wildcard next season. Defense is still pretty good thanks to Rex and we're getting Revis back which is huge. We have issues on offense most notably QB but like I said a decent GM can fix it in 1 Summer.

  10. #90
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    The cursing on Hard Knocks when he hurt Tony Dungy's feelings?
    Yea Rex cursing and making bold predictions is the reason why we went 6-10 this season. Not because of Sanchez failing or not having any talent at skill positions or injuries to Revis and Holmes or the Tim Tebow distractions/circus/nonsense.


    Rex's Mouth >>>>>>>>>>> What actually happened on the field



    The hacky broadcasters on WFAN told me so.

  11. #91
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I'm not here to gain everbody's respect. Playing devil's advocate to the barrage of ignorance from fans lashing out irresponsibly due to anger doesn't mean I agree with everything the Jets do, and there have been PLENTY others that have posted along the lines of my thoughts and beliefs on this board.

    Yeah, SOJF, that is what YOU'VE become.

    YOU wake the **** up!
    You don't play devil's advocate. You don't know how to play devil's advocate.

    Devil's advocates don't belittle people and attack other posters with anger and they don't necessarily believe their position but simply pose an opposing viewpoint. You staunchly believe the crap you spout.

  12. #92
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    And I could care less what you think of me..

    BTW-can you ever post without using a derogatory term...you need to do that to look tougher?
    Yup. He's an internet tough guy who would turtle if confronted by most of us in person.

  13. #93
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,164
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    and rex had nothing to do with favre texting jan spermburger.
    Guaranteeing a SB win in 3 years (or whatever) to the media more than makes up for non-involvement with spermburgers. He's a dope. HC is too much for him, but whether it's next season or the one after that some team is going to be VERY lucky to have him as a DC.

    If you stop and think about how well the Jets D has played over the past four years without much of a pass rush in any of those years - or even dominating LB play - it's damn impressive. That might be the only saving grace if we're bound to another year with Rex at HC.

    (But if we open up with Rex on the sideline and Sanchez starting, that might break me...)
    Last edited by sackdance; 01-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.

  14. #94
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Guaranteeing a SB win in 3 years (or whatever) to the media more than makes up for non-involvement with spermburgers.
    Rex making a guarantee in a press conference had ZERO to do with the team winning in '09 and '10 or struggling the following two seasons. It's a non-issue talked about and overexaggerated by lousy sports talk show hosts who'd rather just complain about how Rex is worse than Rich Kotite than actually make intelligent points.

  15. #95
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Yup. He's an internet tough guy who would turtle if confronted by most of us in person.
    No, I'm not, you really have no clue, you're just an ******* who loves to argue or go at it with anybody on the board, who you don't like, especially me, even when it doesn't INVOLVE you.

    You stuck your chest out all high and mighty with your shotgun of C-Mart posts, and failed to wait for my last post to C-Mart in our exchange, funny how you didn't have a jackass comment for that.

    Oh, and old man, I promise you I wouldn't turtle to you should that day ever come.

  16. #96
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Yea Rex cursing and making bold predictions is the reason why we went 6-10 this season. Not because of Sanchez failing or not having any talent at skill positions or injuries to Revis and Holmes or the Tim Tebow distractions/circus/nonsense.


    Rex's Mouth >>>>>>>>>>> What actually happened on the field



    The hacky broadcasters on WFAN told me so.
    Have I misunderstood the premise of the thread...the Hard Knocks cursing was a "Rex Ryan controversy" in the sense that he was criticized for it and it attracted a lot of attention.

    What does this thread have to do with direct reasons why the Jets were 6-10??

  17. #97
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    No, I'm not, you really have no clue, you're just an ******* who loves to argue or go at it with anybody on the board, who you don't like, especially me, even when it doesn't INVOLVE you.

    You stuck your chest out all high and mighty with your shotgun of C-Mart posts, and failed to wait for my last post to C-Mart in our exchange, funny how you didn't have a jackass comment for that.

    Oh, and old man, I promise you I wouldn't turtle to you should that day ever come.
    Yeah you back-peddled quite well with CMart.

    As to the last remark, be careful what you wish for.

  18. #98
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    555
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    Have I misunderstood the premise of the thread...the Hard Knocks cursing was a "Rex Ryan controversy" in the sense that he was criticized for it and it attracted a lot of attention.

    What does this thread have to do with direct reasons why the Jets were 6-10??
    Yeah, I think this thread was meant to be about Rex Ryan controversies unrelated to football. Like the fact that in the tattoo, his wife's right hand appears to be creeping towards her .... nether parts LOLOL

  19. #99
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,960
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the tat is really Sanchez waring a Wig?

  20. #100
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    When you've been a fan for 35+ yrs and have seen enough and knows it time for a change.....

    When you see your team completely destroyed (dominated, annihilated, out coached, out prepared) at home against SF to then be followed by similar performances at home against Miami, NE and lay down against a West Coast team traveling East for a 1:00 game with a lame duck coach it's pretty obvious it's time for a new HC...JMO.
    Like I said you seem a little more belligerent these days, might even be just having to deal with more irksome posters. I understand your position, I just respectfully disagree. I see Rex Ryan as an excellent HC with some deficiencies he must work on. He doesn't need to get his hands all over the offense, but he needs to at least adopt more modern philosophies and not treat it like some redheaded step child. I think Gamble will help him A LOT as far as the weaknesses are concerned. If Rex bristles under Gamble or just remains stubbornly attached to his obvious weak spots, then Gamble got a full year to start incorporating change w/o much pressure.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us