Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What single move started the downfall of this team?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    Chasing after Nnamdi during 2011 free agency after the lockout. We already had a more than capable #2 corner in Cro willing to come back to NY (as seen by his re-signing) and by wasting time we lost key players like B. Smith, Braylon, Cotchery, T-Rich, and Ellis. The three WRs could have continued to build their chemistry with Sanchez, who probably emerges as a better QB with receivers he trusts. Now look at what he is.
    Bravo. I'm going to keep copy/pasting this in the hopes that others will come to their senses:

Playmakers Mark had earlier in his career:

Edwards,
    Holmes,
    Cotchery,
    Burress,
    Keller,
    Smith,
    Tomlinson,
    Richardson,
    Jones,
    Greene (young),
    Washington.

Replacement players this/last year:

Schillens,
    Hill,
    Kerley,
    McKnight,
    Connor,
    Gates,
    Hilliard,
    Reuland,
    Gilyard,
    Greene (old).

Find me 1 player that's a better one-for-one swap of the guy he replaced. You can't. We have the worst set of receiving targets in the NFL. It's hard to be a good QB when you have nothing to throw to.

Note that I did not list the OL fails. Note that I did not list the Coordinator fail. Note that I did not list the Tebow distraction.

SAR I

Chasing after Nnamdi during 2011 free agency after the lockout.
    I really think this was it.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    You are the new gcHerd. Congrats.
    I'm not in love with Mark Sanchez. He's a lousy quarterback.

I simply believe that he went downhill because of a series of predictable, deliberate decisions by an overconfident GM and an idiotic HC and that he should get a second look with some legitimate weapons again seeing how well he started off.

I just want us to find our franchise quarterback after 40 years. I'm not throwing Mark Sanchez out the door until I see if he sucks with an NFL caliber offense around him.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I really think this was it.
    Nope.

The offense was dismantled so as to have the money to over-drive the defense and the defense didn't improve and the offense fell to pieces. The Rex Ryan double-whammy. Tatoo You.

SAR I

Banned
    gcSAR, making excuses for sh!itty QBs daily...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    gcSAR, making excuses for sh!itty QBs daily...
    Mark Sanchez didn't fall apart behind Top 10 offensive talent, chief.

The best pilot in the world can't fly half a plane.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not in love with Mark Sanchez. He's a lousy quarterback.

I simply believe that he went downhill because of a series of predictable, deliberate decisions by an overconfident GM and an idiotic HC and that he should get a second look with some legitimate weapons again seeing how well he started off.

I just want us to find our franchise quarterback after 40 years. I'm not throwing Mark Sanchez out the door until I see if he sucks with an NFL caliber offense around him.

SAR I
    The only difference between you and gc is that when gc said he wanted his guy to deep-d!ck his mouth, he was only kidding.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 01-05-2013 at 01:51 AM.

All Pro
    The 2011 lockout shortened offseason was a complete disaster. The loss of veteran leadership and talent without any adequate replacements devastated this team.

I concur. The lockout set the trajectory on a downward angle. That was the first big event.

What ultimately changed that downward trajectory into a complete nosedive was the Cruz 99 yard touchdown on Christmas Eve. From that moment the Jets have been a hopeless bottom feeder in the league.
    Last edited by Dcat; 01-05-2013 at 02:35 AM.

SAR I
    For once I agree with you. Mark was set up for failure this season. You can't go from Tone, Keller and Plax to Gilyard, Schilens and Cumby and expect any qb not named Manning or Brady to succeed. The Tebow nonsense was throwing gas on the fire to say the least.

SAR I
    But the best pilot in the world could step out of an Air Force jet and into a crop duster with no problem.

Look, if you want to say that Mark would have been as mediocre in 2011 and 2012 as he was in 2009 and 2010, if they had surrounded him with good talent, then no one would disagree with you.

The problem is, you continue to insist that Mark was actually good in those first 2 years. He wasn't. He was one of the bottom 10 QBs in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    But the best pilot in the world could step out of an Air Force jet and into a crop duster with no problem.

Look, if you want to say that Mark would have been as mediocre in 2011 and 2012 as he was in 2009 and 2010, if they had surrounded him with good talent, then no one would disagree with you.

The problem is, you continue to insist that Mark was actually good in those first 2 years. He wasn't. He was one of the bottom 10 QBs in the NFL.
    And Bingo was his name-o.

I do find the sentiment that Sanchez needs top 10 talent to be serviceable completely hilarious, though. I mean, surround me with top 10 talent and I'm sure even I could manage to hand the ball off. I AM THE FRANCHISE QB THE JETS DESERVE! MCBOW! MCBOW! MCBOW!

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    And Bingo was his name-o.

I do find the sentiment that Sanchez needs top 10 talent to be serviceable completely hilarious, though. I mean, surround me with top 10 talent and I'm sure even I could manage to hand the ball off. I AM THE FRANCHISE QB THE JETS DESERVE! MCBOW! MCBOW! MCBOW!
    LOLz or McMcElroy!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    LOLz or McMcElroy!
    lol, my arm is weaker than Greg's. I've got a water pistol for an arm.

The misguided belief that Santonio Holmes was a no 1 and worthy of that mega contract.The acquiring of Holmes for a 5th round pick was genius but the smart,pragmatic move was to let him hit the market in 2011 (remember he was a restricted FA at he top of his value curve) and turn that 5th rounder into a probable 1st and 3rd or even 2nd and 4th.Then draft a young replacement WR high and prioritise Braylon.Not the sole reason for our demise but a pretty key part of it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

Elite quarterbacks dont grow on trees..... They are as rare as tits on a bull..

You MUST build your team around someone who can play within himself.. Mark has already proven he can win with a solid defense and playmakers.

If you want a Gunslinger who can win games on his own, are you talking about Guys like Tony Romo?(even he has all pro WR's) and he STILL cant win a playoff game..

Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Carson Palmer????

Mark is 4-2 in the playoffs, (all 4 wins on the road) and that didnt happen by accident. His 4th quarter comebacks not only showed character, but showed his ability to lead a team instead of packing it in....

The failure of this team was the inability to surround our quarterback with playmakers. This responsibility solely falls on the GM which was rightfully fired.

Mark is a small part of the problem and is trying to force balls due to his frustration of WR's not getting open.

You saw what happened with Mcelroy.. You would have seen the same movie regardless of who was at quarterback that week.

Im going with the quarterback who took us within 1 quarter of the Superbowl.. The closest we have EVER been in my short 37 years here on earth as a Jets fan.

Which downfall? The most current? There has been about 20-25 downfalls over the course of the franchise, of which this is just the lastest version.

Rex Ryan getting weight-loss surgery.

Hall Of Fame
    Chasing after Nnamdi during 2011 free agency after the lockout. We already had a more than capable #2 corner in Cro willing to come back to NY (as seen by his re-signing) and by wasting time we lost key players like B. Smith, Braylon, Cotchery, T-Rich, and Ellis. The three WRs could have continued to build their chemistry with Sanchez, who probably emerges as a better QB with receivers he trusts. Now look at what he is.
    YES!!!!!

Why is this overlooked by so many fans. Just look at the players we lost and the contracts we restructured to make room for Aso.

But we can also looking to Rex allowing himself and the team to celebrate the NE game as it were the SB. In hindsight that was a fireable offense.