Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What single move started the downfall of this team?

What single move started the downfall of this team?

Let's rewind back to January 2011. We were on our way to making a playoff push and the confidence in this team was at an all time high. Only two years removed from that we are the laughing stock of the league and we are all embarrassed about this team on and off the field.

The question I ask is after building a team to compete, what single move started the downfall that led us to the debacle we are witnessing today?

Jets Insider VIP
    A combination of 3 things all centered around the running game - Not effectively replacing Damien Woody and Tony Richardson while elevating Shonn Greene (not a capable starter) into the starting RB role occupied by Thomas Jones and LT in 2009 and 2010. In other words, trying to get by on the cheap....which we've continued to do on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    Let's rewind back to January 2011. We were on our way to making a playoff push and the confidence in this team was at an all time high. Only two years removed from that we are the laughing stock of the league and we are all embarrassed about this team on and off the field.

The question I ask is after building a team to compete, what single move started the downfall that led us to the debacle we are witnessing today?
    Honestly? Believing that they had a sustainable model for success with Sanchez at the helm. The defense, running game, and O-line could never maintain that level at the same time for much longer. The only chance the Jets had to maintain their level of success was for Sanchez to fundamentally improve and take on a much bigger role for the team.

There are a lot of reasons why this didn't happen but that's the biggest issue.

All League
    BUTTCHEZ

Jets Insider VIP
    Don't forget.Wayne Hunter at RT was a revolving door which got Sanchez mauled time and time again. His replacement came too late . Sanchez has lost his composure.

Chasing after Nnamdi during 2011 free agency after the lockout. We already had a more than capable #2 corner in Cro willing to come back to NY (as seen by his re-signing) and by wasting time we lost key players like B. Smith, Braylon, Cotchery, T-Rich, and Ellis. The three WRs could have continued to build their chemistry with Sanchez, who probably emerges as a better QB with receivers he trusts. Now look at what he is.

What single move started the downfall of this team?

I think it was the Hitler meme that started the downfall.

It's Tebow's fault.

> Tebow has nothing to do with the topic
    > Tebow fans make Tebow apart of the topic

wat.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    > Tebow has nothing to do with the topic
    > Tebow fans make Tebow apart of the topic

wat.

Figured that I'd be preemptive, cause you know it would be coming from someone at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Figured that I'd be preemptive, cause you know it would be coming from someone at some point
    It's a dumb point anyway. "DUDE, THAT GUY ON THE BENCH ****ED US OVER, BREHS!".

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-05-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Trading up and drafting Sanchez. End of story.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The downfall was the false belief by the organization that the team was much better than it actually was. The inability to know thyself set the whole thing in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    A combination of 3 things all centered around the running game - Not effectively replacing Damien Woody and Tony Richardson while elevating Shonn Greene (not a capable starter) into the starting RB role occupied by Thomas Jones and LT in 2009 and 2010. In other words, trying to get by on the cheap....which we've continued to do on offense.
    +1

That started the ball rolling. Then the parade of nobodies that were brought in to replace legitimate playmakers like Leon Washington, Ladanian Tomlinson, Jericho Cotchery, Plaxico Burress, et al.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The downfall was the false belief by the organization that the team was much better than it actually was. The inability to know thyself set the whole thing in motion.
    Yup. The Colts' decision to sit Peyton in the second half in '09 had a huge Butterfly Effect.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    +1

That started the ball rolling. Then the parade of nobodies that were brought in to replace legitimate playmakers like Leon Washington, Ladanian Tomlinson, Jericho Cotchery, Plaxico Burress, et al.

SAR I

And this mistaken belief that Mark Sanchez would progress and develop into being a good NFL QB.

And this mistaken belief that Mark Sanchez would progress and develop into being a good NFL QB.
    Is it possible to have those words in the same sentence?

And this mistaken belief that Mark Sanchez would progress and develop into being a good NFL QB after all his playmakers and protectors were taken away from him by an idiotic head coach who thinks he can win games solely on defense.
    Fixed. Now you're talking some sense.

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Fixed. Now you're talking some sense.

SAR I
    You are the new gcHerd. Congrats.

Tannenbaum not seeing that he had a QB who at his best was shaky game manager, not the next Eli. Then he takes away Braylon, Brad Smith and Cotchery. He should have kept 2 of 3. Putting a sour Holmes, bums like Plax, and JAGs like Schilens on the field with this QB was a utter disaster.