Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Heckert Cancels Interview with Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    It's almost impossible to know how any of these back room guys will workout for the reasons you mention.It's not like we have youtube clips of them in action to make judgement.

I tend to look at who they have worked with down the years to see who has influenced them and may shape their skill base.Gamble has a number of plusses in that area having worked under some successful GM's in winning organisations.

The key thing is a GM ultimately has to be a manager and bring together a good team.I actually think our scouting department has been very impressive in the last decade but Tannenbaum traded away so many picks that there's a misguided view that our talent evaluators aren't up to scratch.

I love that Mr T made us exciting and always a threat to make a dramatic move(I remember the Mike Hickey years when we were boring & dull as hell on draft day and still managed to pick some spectacular duds)but there's no doubt we lack a bit of depth through lack of picks and when you have so few selections year on year the pressure to hit on all of them is ramped so that when you have a Gholston style bust it's even more glaring.

I actually think the one area we have been suspect is in free agency and pro-scouting and apparently this has been where Gamble has done well in SF.I think we have failed to augment our drafting with shrewd use of the pro talent pool.so for that reason I think Gamble could bring something.Hopefully he leaves well alone or only tweaks what ain't broke and brings a fresh approach that after 15 years of Tannenbaum and Bradway may be ripe for some new thinking rather than wholesale change
    Nice post!

I heard Charlie Casserly this week say alot of positive things regarding the Jets FO/Scouts. He knows and has worked with many.

What it boils down to is how much does the GM listen to them vs the HC..

The HC (and position coaches) will have watched workouts and film of the college players by draft day and have their opinions, "he's my type of player or I can fix him" and possibly overrate them (this also applies to your FA concerns)...It's up to the GM to then weigh what his scouts have said vs the HC and make a decision.

As we have been learning the past week or so via reports, Rex had more influence over personnel decisions than many of us thought, at least me.

As for the few picks argument...If you go by the quality vs quantity theory it's ok but you better hit big if you go by the quality route..

Again, I still think the lack of player development clouds the quality theory that Tanny took the past few years. And IMO I think Tanny lost who he was when Rex came aboard. That's not Rex's fault, that's Tanny's for allowing it to happen. Tanny went from a buttoned up, serious guy to as we saw in Hard Knocks more of a "celebrity" type personality.

That's why Ross intrigues me..I read the article below and it states when he interviewed with Reece he point blank told Reece regarding their latest draft picks "Some of them were good, some of them were bad." To have that confidence and boldness to say during an interview leads me to think he can easily tell Rex or anybody else that he disagrees with them should a difference arise.

Giants have select talent in top scout
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...lent_in_t.html
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-05-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    Lol some of you are so clueless and ignorant its insane

And your contribution to the thread is just outstanding.

Aside from promoting Cohen, Heckert was the worst name I've heard of the six names linked to us. No big loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Nope

You look at the Giants draft classes over the past 5 or so years and no one really jumps out besides JPP and Nicks.

On the flipside, look at what the Niners and Falcons have done in the same time period.
    And who won the Super Bowl last year?

And what has that to do with Gamble. He was not in the college scouting dept during that period either. You can certainly praise him for Whittner, Justin Smith, Akers, Carlos Rogers who are players that he was responsible for bringing on

Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    And who won the Super Bowl last year?
    And who backed into the playoffs ? Oh yeah . GMEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    And who backed into the playoffs ? Oh yeah . GMEN.
    like the Jets in '09..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Nope

You look at the Giants draft classes over the past 5 or so years and no one really jumps out besides JPP and Nicks.

On the flipside, look at what the Niners and Falcons have done in the same time period.
    The Giants DL was what I look at. Was he involved in in scouting J.Tuck, O.Umenyiora or C.Canty? They seem to have good depth at the DL all the friggin time..

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    And what has that to do with Gamble. He was not in the college scouting dept during that period either. You can certainly praise him for Whittner, Justin Smith, Akers, Carlos Rogers who are players that he was responsible for bringing on
    Correct... No to Ross because the drafts are no better than our drafts were. Jpp was a fluke, but Ross still gets some credit for it. I really can't believe he turned into such a good player.

And jerseyjet was absolutely correct too... Some people in this thread are so unbelievably lost that it's only worth pointing out and not really responding to.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    The Giants DL was what I look at. Was he involved in in scouting J.Tuck, O.Umenyiora or C.Canty? They seem to have good depth at the DL all the friggin time..
    Canty came from Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    No to all of them outside of JPP.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    +1

The guy's currently unemployed. You only turn down job opportunities when you have another job lined up.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Nice post!

I heard Charlie Casserly this week say alot of positive things regarding the Jets FO/Scouts. He knows and has worked with many.

What it boils down to is how much does the GM listen to them vs the HC..
    I saw that too. He must have been talking about Bradway, who I hope is retained as a scout.

The only question I would have for Gamble is how SF came to the decision to draft A.J. Jenkins. I know people don't like to label kids a "bust" after one year but this kid was literally non-existent.

The reason why I bring this up is b.c we obviously have a great need at this position and I would be interested in finding out how he evaluates WRs. Obviously the pick wasn't his alone and it is only one season and everyone makes mistakes in the draft so it is not a major issue by any means.

wanted no part of Heckert, but his reasoning, if valid makes little sense.

any one of us can go to Jason's site and clearly see that the Jets will be well under the cap by making a few obvious moves.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    wanted no part of Heckert, but his reasoning, if valid makes little sense.

any one of us can go to Jason's site and clearly see that the Jets will be well under the cap by making a few obvious moves.
    They will be under the cap but not to the point where they can make significant improvements via FA (top talent). By most accounts the Jets are in for a rebuilding year. Miracles can happen and HRs can be hit, goes without saying but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I saw that too. He must have been talking about Bradway, who I hope is retained as a scout.

The only question I would have for Gamble is how SF came to the decision to draft A.J. Jenkins. I know people don't like to label kids a "bust" after one year but this kid was literally non-existent.

The reason why I bring this up is b.c we obviously have a great need at this position and I would be interested in finding out how he evaluates WRs. Obviously the pick wasn't his alone and it is only one season and everyone makes mistakes in the draft so it is not a major issue by any means.
    Jenkins was thought of highly coming out..he went approx where projected--late 1st-2nd..maybe he is slow to pick up things or their system..it's one pick...even if he busts...it happens..you can reverse it and ask the same questions regarding Kyle Williams..People remember the fumbles last NFCCG but he's been a solid contributor and was a late round pick..

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    Lol some of you are so clueless and ignorant its insane
    It's part ignorance it's part show.

There are plenty of posters on this site that are no different then the dipsh!t beat writers who cover the team.

They don't believe half the crap they post. They're just looking to get a rise out of people or have some really really warped agenda to bash the team on the teams fan site.

Whatever - I just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I think part of that is that the Niners are so stacked at certain positions that it is hard to break in.

WR: Crabtree, Manningham, Moss are in Jenkins' way

Jenkins was thought of highly coming out..he went approx where projected--late 1st-2nd..maybe he is slow to pick up things or their system..it's one pick...even if he busts...it happens..you can reverse it and ask the same questions regarding Kyle Williams..People remember the fumbles last NFCCG but he's been a solid contributor and was a late round pick..
    WR's tend to be notoriously slow to develop in the NFL, there used to be a 3 year window of expectation before people started seeing results. Obviously you have outliers like A.J. Green. Besides, the Niners had Crabtree, Moss and Manningham on the team, that is not a bad trio.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think part of that is that the Niners are so stacked at certain positions that it is hard to break in.

WR: Crabtree, Manningham, Moss are in Jenkins' way
    You both make valid points.

I just wonder what his philosophy is on offense. And what he looks for in players. Seems like a lot of the offensive talent they have drafted took a while to develop. Smith, Davis, Crabtree, etc. He is not going to have the luxury in NY of giving guys 3,4,5 years to come into their own. We need offense now and have little cap room to purchase it.