Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tom Heckert Cancels Interview with Jets

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    They will be under the cap but not to the point where they can make significant improvements via FA (top talent). By most accounts the Jets are in for a rebuilding year. Miracles can happen and HRs can be hit, goes without saying but . . .
    Valid points, but they should have enough money to fill the roster with better talent then we have today.

Looking forward to seeing what a true personnel man can do. It's been a while since the jets have had a true gm.

You both make valid points.

I just wonder what his philosophy is on offense. And what he looks for in players. Seems like a lot of the offensive talent they have drafted took a while to develop. Smith, Davis, Crabtree, etc. He is not going to have the luxury in NY of giving guys 3,4,5 years to come into their own. We need offense now and have little cap room to purchase it.
    I think Gamble and the Niners have the advantage of leaning heavily on Harbaugh when it comes to the offense. That will be a problem here until He, or whomever the new GM is, puts a new OC in place. Then, they have to objectively decide if Sanchez is the Qb, or do they have to go in another direction. Not trying to be funny here, but that is the $million question.

You both make valid points.

I just wonder what his philosophy is on offense. And what he looks for in players. Seems like a lot of the offensive talent they have drafted took a while to develop. Smith, Davis, Crabtree, etc. He is not going to have the luxury in NY of giving guys 3,4,5 years to come into their own. We need offense now and have little cap room to purchase it.

I think that was more of a result of poor coaching/development.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Valid points, but they should have enough money to fill the roster with better talent then we have today.

Looking forward to seeing what a true personnel man can do. It's been a while since the jets have had a true gm.
    Huh, no I don't think so and neither do many posters on this site.

Cutting the usual suspects get the jets about 10 mill in cap room after signing the rookies. With that 10 mill and with 7 draft choices you have to replace

1. 3 safeties
    2. 3 LBs
    3. 2 dlineman Devito and Ellis
    4. 1 WR Schillens
    5. 2 TE
    6. 4 olineman
    7. 1 RB #1 rb

Tell me what 10 players do you see out there in FA that the jets can sign for an average of 1 mill per year and who are they better than the players who arestarting for the jets last year.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post

There's also addition by subtraction.

A lot of old, slow and expensive guys will be gone and Rex will be forced to go with the younger, cheaper talent that is sure to be an upgrade.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    I think Gamble and the Niners have the advantage of leaning heavily on Harbaugh when it comes to the offense. That will be a problem here until He, or whomever the new GM is, puts a new OC in place. Then, they have to objectively decide if Sanchez is the Qb, or do they have to go in another direction. Not trying to be funny here, but that is the $million question.
    I want no part of any GM the thinks Sanchez is the answer at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I want no part of any GM the thinks Sanchez is the answer at QB.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    There's also addition by subtraction.

A lot of old, slow and expensive guys will be gone and Rex will be forced to go with the younger, cheaper talent that is sure to be an upgrade.
    You think there is younger and cheaper players that are going to out perform
    Keller, Landry, Bell, Devito, Pouha and Greene and Howard, Well Maybe Pouha that's it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    +1
    Only if the question is "Which QB is worse than Ryan Leaf and sucks the life out of the whole freakin' team?"

then "Mark Sanchez" is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Huh, no I don't think so and neither do many posters on this site.

Cutting the usual suspects get the jets about 10 mill in cap room after signing the rookies. With that 10 mill and with 7 draft choices you have to replace

1. 3 safeties
    2. 3 LBs
    3. 2 dlineman Devito and Ellis
    4. 1 WR Schillens
    5. 2 TE
    6. 4 olineman
    7. 1 RB #1 rb

Tell me what 10 players do you see out there in FA that the jets can sign for an average of 1 mill per year and who are they better than the players who arestarting for the jets last year.
    Ellis? Ellis will be going into his 3rd year, drafted by Jets same year as Wilkerson

Schilens is a JAG, if they bring back Edwards, who they can probably re-sign for cheap, he replaces Schilens and is a major upgrade.

Keller, despite his stance, is not going to command a big market, Jets can also tag him, he may not like it, but too bad.

4 OL'n? Only OL that would be a loss at this point is Slauson, he's a steady tough player, Ducasse is probably ready for a jump, and the Jets have some players on the depth chart that could be players to compete, Schlauteraff. I think Howard is also brought back at a cheap rate, and it is even possible they bring back Jason Smith, who had a strong year in his role, he won't command a lot of money either.

I think the team will try to re-sign Landry, and they will rebuild the LB position in the draft.

You're over-exaggerating a bit

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Ellis? Ellis will be going into his 3rd year, drafted by Jets same year as Wilkerson

Schilens is a JAG, if they bring back Edwards, who they can probably re-sign for cheap, he replaces Schilens and is a major upgrade.

Keller, despite his stance, is not going to command a big market, Jets can also tag him, he may not like it, but too bad.

4 OL'n? Only OL that would be a loss at this point is Slauson, he's a steady tough player, Ducasse is probably ready for a jump, and the Jets have some players on the depth chart that could be players to compete, Schlauteraff. I think Howard is also brought back at a cheap rate, and it is even possible they bring back Jason Smith, who had a strong year in his role, he won't command a lot of money either.

I think the team will try to re-sign Landry, and they will rebuild the LB position in the draft.

You're over-exaggerating a bit
    Do you realize if they tag Keller and sign Landry it will probably cost more than 11 million per year to do so? Given that the Jets may have only around 14 million (optimistic number), it is unlikely they tag Keller AND sign Landry.

Also. if you are counting on Vlad, Schladerauff, and Smith to all be solid starters next year, you are sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Do you realize if they tag Keller and sign Landry it will probably cost more than 11 million per year to do so? Given that the Jets may have only around 14 million (optimistic number), it is unlikely they tag Keller AND sign Landry.

Also. if you are counting on Vlad, Schladerauff, and Smith to all be solid starters next year, you are sadly mistaken.
    I don't think the other two, but Jason Smith did do a good job for us when he was in there as an extra blocker.

All Pro
    This sucks. Although Gamble is a good consolation prize - Heckert is one hell of a talent evaluator.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post

Yes, I'm aware, the Keller tag is under 5 mil I believe, it's the cheapest of the franchise tenders.

A Landry re-signing can be creative, it can be back loaded beyond this year, with a very minimal cap number for this coming season, it could be structured so that a major portion of any deal would be paid in 2014, when the cap opens up quite a bit for the Jets, something I'm sure the Jets would consider in any potential Revis re-signing.

So 11 mil? No, I'm thinking closer to 5-6 mil.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Nice post!

I heard Charlie Casserly this week say alot of positive things regarding the Jets FO/Scouts. He knows and has worked with many.

What it boils down to is how much does the GM listen to them vs the HC..

The HC (and position coaches) will have watched workouts and film of the college players by draft day and have their opinions, "he's my type of player or I can fix him" and possibly overrate them (this also applies to your FA concerns)...It's up to the GM to then weigh what his scouts have said vs the HC and make a decision.

As we have been learning the past week or so via reports, Rex had more influence over personnel decisions than many of us thought, at least me.

As for the few picks argument...If you go by the quality vs quantity theory it's ok but you better hit big if you go by the quality route..

Again, I still think the lack of player development clouds the quality theory that Tanny took the past few years. And IMO I think Tanny lost who he was when Rex came aboard. That's not Rex's fault, that's Tanny's for allowing it to happen. Tanny went from a buttoned up, serious guy to as we saw in Hard Knocks more of a "celebrity" type personality.

That's why Ross intrigues me..I read the article below and it states when he interviewed with Reece he point blank told Reece regarding their latest draft picks "Some of them were good, some of them were bad." To have that confidence and boldness to say during an interview leads me to think he can easily tell Rex or anybody else that he disagrees with them should a difference arise.

Giants have select talent in top scout
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...lent_in_t.html
    Thanks and likewise,good response...agree with everything and I sure hope whether it's Gambe,Ross or whoever they have the balls to be their own man but the gumption to listen.It's a delicate balance to find but we have to hope the new guy has it.

For all we know the influence RR has had in the draft room may have had a lot to do with taking Mo(Looking like a very good pick)QC(ditto)and Wilson(far from the terrible bust some would have you believe especially down at pick 30).So perhaps listening to Rex ought not to be filed under 'sackable offences'.No need to go too far the other way but we absolutely need to prioritise the offense more than we have done so that may be where the new guy needs to get tough.Our drafts have not been bad at all in recent years outside of the occasional whiff and the previously mentioned lack of numbers.I actually thought we made a good fist of the quality v quantity approach and I personally don't think it's the reason we are where we are.As I said before when you take that approach via the draft then you must get your pro scouting/FA absolutely spot on and while again,there have been successes, I think largely that area has been lacking.

Also you mention player development.This I the most troubling area for me with regard to the post Mangini years.We simply have to do a better job of teaching and coaching players up,turning water into wine,getting guys playing above themselves.I don't really know that this is an area the new GM can influence but I sure hope we see it in 2013.

Your analysis of Tanny post Rex is spot on although for all we know he may always have been like that in private but he sure did come across as having bought into the hype a little.Shame as I think he did a lot right and it's worth remembering in his defence that the final 4 rules probably hamstrung us a little after the 2 AFCCG,that gets forgotten.