Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Heckert Cancels Interview with Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Former Browns GM Tom Heckert has canceled his general manager interview with the Jets.

Either Heckert is headed to Kansas City with Andy Reid, or he's seen writing on the wall that the Jets will be hiring Tom Gamble. Heckert is tentatively expected to land a front-office job with the Chiefs, but not necessarily GM.

Please be the latter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    ...and so it begins.

SAR I
    @BobGlauber: Confirmed Tom Heckert has canceled scheduled interview for Jets' GM job. Big concerns about bloated cap. No issue with having Rex as coach.
    Today 12:07 AM

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never understood the interest in Heckert. He just bombed in Cleveland. Failed GMs aren't recycled this quickly.

Also, the beat writer info is bogus IMO. All the rumors were that he was looking to follow Reid wherever he went and now that he has landed in KC, that's his obvious destination.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I think that is BS, the Jets salary cap situation will be fine after 2013. Did he not know about the situation when he first decided to interview for job? I think its that hes heading to KC with Reid.
    +1

The guy's currently unemployed. You only turn down job opportunities when you have another job lined up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He saw the $17 million ball and chain that we have at QB, and realized he is better off unemployed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    @BobGlauber: Confirmed Tom Heckert has canceled scheduled interview for Jets' GM job. Big concerns about bloated cap. No issue with having Rex as coach.
    Today 12:07 AM
    If I valued my career and didn't want to alienate every owner in the good-ol-boy NFL the last thing I'd do is give my honest opinion about an active head coach.

"I'm worried about the cap" is code for "Rex Ryan? F-ck that."

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Nope

You look at the Giants draft classes over the past 5 or so years and no one really jumps out besides JPP and Nicks.

On the flipside, look at what the Niners and Falcons have done in the same time period.
    49ers picked high alot.

Lets not forget, at least my understanding (maybe wrong), these guys the Jets are interviewing weren't making the picks. They were responsible for the scouting and/or personnel etc. but still the GM usually makes the final call

Reading a few articles on Ross he seems impressive. We'll see

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t blame him. He’s been a GM before already. Which means if he fails again, he could be finished. He’s not going to want to walk into a bad situation, it’s too risky for him at this point in his career. This is a better job for someone who’s trying to make their name as a GM by being the guy who fixed this mess.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    49ers picked high alot.

Lets not forget, at least my understanding (maybe wrong), these guys the Jets are interviewing weren't making the picks. They were responsible for the scouting and/or personnel etc. but still the GM usually makes the final call

Reading a few articles on Ross he seems impressive. We'll see
    It's almost impossible to know how any of these back room guys will workout for the reasons you mention.It's not like we have youtube clips of them in action to make judgement.

I tend to look at who they have worked with down the years to see who has influenced them and may shape their skill base.Gamble has a number of plusses in that area having worked under some successful GM's in winning organisations.

The key thing is a GM ultimately has to be a manager and bring together a good team.I actually think our scouting department has been very impressive in the last decade but Tannenbaum traded away so many picks that there's a misguided view that our talent evaluators aren't up to scratch.

I love that Mr T made us exciting and always a threat to make a dramatic move(I remember the Mike Hickey years when we were boring & dull as hell on draft day and still managed to pick some spectacular duds)but there's no doubt we lack a bit of depth through lack of picks and when you have so few selections year on year the pressure to hit on all of them is ramped so that when you have a Gholston style bust it's even more glaring.

I actually think the one area we have been suspect is in free agency and pro-scouting and apparently this has been where Gamble has done well in SF.I think we have failed to augment our drafting with shrewd use of the pro talent pool.so for that reason I think Gamble could bring something.Hopefully he leaves well alone or only tweaks what ain't broke and brings a fresh approach that after 15 years of Tannenbaum and Bradway may be ripe for some new thinking rather than wholesale change
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 01-05-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will be lucky to have 20 players on their roster and all coaching positions filled if Rex is still the coach- his presence is repelling quality people from joining the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    The Jets will be lucky to have 20 players on their roster and all coaching positions filled if Rex is still the coach- his presence is repelling quality people from joining the team.
    Who is your inside source? Your imagination?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Who is your inside source? Your imagination?
    I'm fed up with Rex- I thought very highly of him when he was first hired and wasn't deterred by last year's 8-8 but I'm in full occupy mode with the team now- after every single game this year Rex said the exact same things about how he's confident that the team can play better and giving the deer-in-headlights reaction or denying everything when asked about any conflicts. This has nothing to do with the QB situation- I never wanted Tebow and solidly supported Sanchez until the 2nd quarter of the Arizona game. I just think it would benefit the team and the league if Rex was canned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a huge loss. I am not sure if I liked takin someone from Cleveland anyways. They suck.

I doubt he would admit that it was the cap that scared him away. He is a GM for crying out loud.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I think that is BS, the Jets salary cap situation will be fine after 2013. Did he not know about the situation when he first decided to interview for job? I think its that hes heading to KC with Reid.
    Exactly. That's just simply more Jet bashing!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep saying this, a GM candidate who is scared of the cap situation or ugly QB situation or any other problems is a GM we don't need. Jets need a guy who is up for a challenge, a guy who is going to bust his ass. We do not somebody who wants to walk into a situation where he has to do limited work to be successful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex being the coach next year is not going to be a factor at all
    Next years cap is not going to be a factor at all

The only things that are going to be a factor will be how much money, how much control, And whose idea was it to bring in Farve and Tebow.

It is the owners football and since he writes the checks he has the real final say, but Woody is going to have to convince him that he will not interfere with personnel decisions.

I am sure all the candidates are talking to Tanny and Clinksdales, Schotty etc to get as much background as they can about the organization prior to their meetings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I think his decision was based of the sum total bafoonery that the Jets have become.

We have more than a couple horrible contracts eating into our cap, and have made players like SuckMooseBallChez uncutable. So right there two responsibilities of the GM are handicapped.

Then you have the overall circus clown persona the entire organization has taken on because of Rex. The perspective hire is thinking do I want my face in that painting. All football, all business, all the time.

On top of that we are in a Division with two polar opposite teams in terms of Culture. The Pats who are e model NFL franchise, and e Dolphins who are headed that direction.

It's a tough sell for a woodsy for sure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex told him what to do. Rex is to blame.

SAR I
    The GM let the coach tell him what to do, and it's the coach's fault? Well the players told Rex what to do, so it's the players fault. Doesn't work with my wife, and it's not working with me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    To be honest I think his decision was based of the sum total bafoonery that the Jets have become.

We have more than a couple horrible contracts eating into our cap, and have made players like SuckMooseBallChez uncutable. So right there two responsibilities of the GM are handicapped.

Then you have the overall circus clown persona the entire organization has taken on because of Rex. The perspective hire is thinking do I want my face in that painting. All football, all business, all the time.

On top of that we are in a Division with two polar opposite teams in terms of Culture. The Pats who are e model NFL franchise, and e Dolphins who are headed that direction.

It's a tough sell for a woodsy for sure.
    Although I agree w/the buffoonery I think he canceled, and we'll find this out this weekend, is because he's following Reid to KC. JMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol some of you are so clueless and ignorant its insane