Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Devito wishes Tebow would have been given a chance

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    4 comeback wins on final drives or in OT in 2010 would say otherwise.

Your whole theory in this thread is flawed for the simple fact that Sanchez is already a question mark for next year, there is no telling what our new GM will do with Sanchez, or what they may try to do. Sticking with Sanchez was all about what the team and front office thought Sanchez was going to become, the body of worked that he showed the first two years, the fact that the team knew they were dealing with injuries, and Tebow did not show any evidence on the practice field that he could operate the offense better than Sanchez could.
    its pretty sad when trying to defend a guy you have to bring up "4 games in 2010" when its 2012. Tebow had more comebacks last yr. Not trying to argue whos better but Mark was bad in 2011, awful in 2012. Tebow couldnt possible be worse than Sanchez was this year.. Practice is another poor excuse.. Mark may suck terrible in the real games but hey he practices better than tebow" "who cares tebow found a way to win a game when the game was on the line, while mark always found a way to lose a game" (11,12) practice is most important

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johnny Manziel, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, Colin Kaepernick Are FBS QBs With 20 TDs Rushing, Passing

AP | Posted: 01/04/2013 10:32 pm EST

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M has become the fourth FBS quarterback with 20 touchdowns passing and 20 touchdowns rushing in the same season.

Manziel got his school-record 20th rushing touchdown on the Aggies' opening drive of the Cotton Bowl on Friday night against Oklahoma, when he tiptoed 23 yards down the sideline. He added a 5-yard TD run before halftime.

The first freshman to win the Heisman, Manziel also has 24 passing TDs.

The other 20-20 quarterbacks were Auburn's Cam Newton and Florida's Tim Tebow, who like Manziel are Heisman winners from the SEC, and Nevada's Colin Kaepernick.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2413339.html

======================================
    Originally Posted by jetstream23
    Starting Tebow once, no matter how he did, was a win-win for us....and we didn't do it. If he fails, he shuts up the Tebowites around here and validates the Jets decision to keep him on the bench all year. If he does well he increases his trade value for us. We had a lottery ticket, and whether it was a winner or loser we'll never know because we never checked the winning numbers and just kept the ticket in the drawer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a moot point now to discuss teblow...

He's practically jacksonville-bound at this point.

And No. The GM won't want to keep him since he was part of the Jets 3-ring-circus-atmosphere(albeit somewhat unwillingly) last season.

Cut your losses(and there were plenty) and move on.

We can't cut Sanchez unfortunately....but we can cut Teblow. And we just fired Tanny. Let's hope Gamble(whom I hope is the Jets new GM) dumps sparano, too....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I think it's a moot point now to discuss teblow...

He's practically jacksonville-bound at this point.

And No. The GM won't want to keep him since he was part of the Jets 3-ring-circus-atmosphere(albeit somewhat unwillingly) last season.

Cut your losses(and there were plenty) and move on.

We can't cut Sanchez unfortunately....but we can cut Teblow. And we just fired Tanny. Let's hope Gamble(whom I hope is the Jets new GM) dumps sparano, too....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xjBAd5G84

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    This post makes so little sense it makes me want to cry. You think the Jets kept a QB on the bench who they knew probably would have been great since it would help them save face on the bad contract given to their starting QB who was playing terribly? That's really what you think? That the Jets didn't want good QB play?

They tried Greg Freaking McElroy, for chrissakes, to desperately look for good QB play. Kerley took snaps. Come on, man!

Have you ever entertained the possibility that Tebow didn't do well enough with his limited opportunities in practice and on the field to get a shot at number 1? Or even to hold onto his number 2 spot? That doesn't sound simpler and more likely?

Finally, do you think we had any other controversies like this at other positions? Where else are the Jets purposely suppressing good players in favor of bad ones to save face? Are other teams doing this? Is it common for management to let their team continue to suck on purpose to save face instead of trying to win?

I think your theory has legs. Maybe you're on to something. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Actually, I think that the Jets thought that bringing Tebow in might challenge Mark and get him to perform better. When that didn't happen, they were on an "Oh ****" position as they never had the notion of benching him permanently due to a number of possible reasons. Perhaps it was Rex's "loyalty" to Mark, though that has a new meaning now given his tattoo. Or maybe it was because Rex and Tanny would look bad if they replaced their "Chosen one" whom they had just signed to a contract extension.

Thing is, Mark was doing soo poorly that they were finally FORCED to bench him. What's the safe play ? Skip over Tebow and throw McElroy in there as he doesn't come close to constituting a threat.

Now, here's the thing you have to ask yourself at this point. Rex and company knew that Tebow went 7-4 last year. They each watched from the sidelines as Tebow brought the Broncos back against their teams and beat both of them, Rex with the Jets and Sparano with Miami. Pretty sure that they were both aware of what Tebow did against Pitt in the playoffs.

So, given what they knew of Tebow's abilities from what he did last year, they decided that freaking Greg McElroy, a guy who had never started an NFL game, gave the Jets the best shot to win ?

That's absolutely ****ing laughable.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't Jacksonville getting a new GM also, I believe gamble cancelled his 2nd interview there to be will the JETS, so why would a new GM want to start with Teblow.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Isn't Jacksonville getting a new GM also, I believe gamble cancelled his 2nd interview there to be will the JETS, so why would a new GM want to start with Teblow.
    If the owner wants Tebow, then the incoming GM will have to accept that or he shouldn't take the job.

What would probably happen is that the GM would get a pass on next year. If the team is successful with Tebow, great, go ahead and build around him. If not, then the GM might have the freedom to go after a different QB.

Question really is whether the new GM wants a "Tebow experiment", or if it's just to try and sell tickets. If it is just to sell tickets, even if Tebow blows, would they keep him as the starter just for that reason ?

I'm sure that any incoming GM would hash out all the possibilities and get answers that he could live with before deciding to take the job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    He doesn't, lol. No one wants that trash and the media nightmare that goes along with it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow can succeed if a team goes "all-in" and builds an offense around him.....Fast and quick linemen, Percy Harvin type WR's, and speed backs. Run the Florida-Spread and I think it would be tough to stop with the right pieces and the right mind behind it (Chip Kelly or someone like that)......Might not be the greatest offense in the NFL but it could be decent for sure

Hell, Denver had success with Tebow in this kind of offense and it was a patchwork job that didn't even have everything in place from the start as they had to switch offenses half way into the season....

Obviously with the beyond boring Rex/Sparano combo and our offensive personnel there was no shot from the start of this type of situation working out.....Even so, I would have rather seen Tebow show us what he could do than Sanchez turning the ball over in every way possible down the stretch

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    This post makes so little sense it makes me want to cry. You think the Jets kept a QB on the bench who they knew probably would have been great since it would help them save face on the bad contract given to their starting QB who was playing terribly? That's really what you think? That the Jets didn't want good QB play?

They tried Greg Freaking McElroy, for chrissakes, to desperately look for good QB play. Kerley took snaps. Come on, man!

Have you ever entertained the possibility that Tebow didn't do well enough with his limited opportunities in practice and on the field to get a shot at number 1? Or even to hold onto his number 2 spot? That doesn't sound simpler and more likely?

Finally, do you think we had any other controversies like this at other positions? Where else are the Jets purposely suppressing good players in favor of bad ones to save face? Are other teams doing this? Is it common for management to let their team continue to suck on purpose to save face instead of trying to win?

I think your theory has legs. Maybe you're on to something. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Two things:

1) The Jets signed Tebow because they thought they could sell tickets to Tebowmaniacs. That's is the only reason they signed him. It was just another publicity stunt, just another stupid gimmick, because we know how much the Jets love gimmicks don't we?

2) As far as McElroy goes, you don't find it strange that the o-line let up 11 sacks in that game? Gee I wonder how that happens... All of sudden the o-line lets up a horrifying 11 sacks... Hmm... Hey, did you ever think that they may have been calling plays and employing blocking schemes just to make the kid look bad so they the fans would be calling for Sanchez again? It's no secret that they don't like McElroy after his press conferences last season pointing out the problems in the lockerroom. Could the 11 sacks have been repayment for that? Was that the Jets way of killing the kids career before it even started? Think about that for a while.

The Jets had no intention of starting Tebow OR McElroy because they are tied to Sanchez for over $17 million next season if they cut or him or $12.9 million if they bench him. The Jets can't do anything else but start Mark Sanchez at this point, and they're doing all sorts of things to downplay all the other QB's on this team because they know they have no choice but to live out this nightmare again next season no matter who the GM is.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 10 hours?! Tell us how you really feel .

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 10 hours?! Tell us how you really feel .
    I feel like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUs0LhYMaU

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This...this was fantastic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This...this was fantastic.
    I know. I was all like, "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN".

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know. I was all like, "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN".
    "Ohhh my Lordyyyyyy"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Ohhh my Lordyyyyyy"
    "Ohh, she's cuuuuuuuuuute! hhhhhAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Two things:

1) The Jets signed Tebow because they thought they could sell tickets to Tebowmaniacs. That's is the only reason they signed him. It was just another publicity stunt, just another stupid gimmick, because we know how much the Jets love gimmicks don't we?

2) As far as McElroy goes, you don't find it strange that the o-line let up 11 sacks in that game? Gee I wonder how that happens... All of sudden the o-line lets up a horrifying 11 sacks... Hmm... Hey, did you ever think that they may have been calling plays and employing blocking schemes just to make the kid look bad so they the fans would be calling for Sanchez again? It's no secret that they don't like McElroy after his press conferences last season pointing out the problems in the lockerroom. Could the 11 sacks have been repayment for that? Was that the Jets way of killing the kids career before it even started? Think about that for a while.

The Jets had no intention of starting Tebow OR McElroy because they are tied to Sanchez for over $17 million next season if they cut or him or $12.9 million if they bench him. The Jets can't do anything else but start Mark Sanchez at this point, and they're doing all sorts of things to downplay all the other QB's on this team because they know they have no choice but to live out this nightmare again next season no matter who the GM is.
    What do you find strange about a 7th rd draft choice starting his first game ends up holding on to the ball to long. It is not like the line never gave pressure up with Sanchez back there.

The only way Sanchez is going to win the starting job next year is by outplaying the comp. If you want to start a conspiracy at least wait to see who they bring in for competition. If it is Curtis Painter, then you might be on to something

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Known Mike Devito Fact: Like Tebow, also a God-freak.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Tebow was totally duped by the Jets. the team ruined his career which was on the upswing winning in the playoffs.
    I blame Rex Ryan for all of Tebow woes this season he was lied to!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    I blame Rex Ryan for all of Tebow woes this season he was lied to!
    So was Drew Stanton. Haven't heard any outrage from Tebow supporters over that. In Denver, Quinn got skipped over for Tebow and Tim's fans didn't say a word about it. But, when it's Tim that doesn't get what he wants, it's suddenly a huge injustice.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-06-2013 at 10:00 AM.