Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 315

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    good for you!

    To be honest I think this rule has seen its time come and go, I don't think people are chosen as players, coaches, scouts, or front office types based on race any longer, there is too much at stake in today's NFL to hold a bias towards anyone.
    ..and that is a great thing. I agree with you. Owners invest a lot of money, they are going to hire the best candidate regardless of race.

  2. #182
    Gamble has 2 opportunities the Jets or Jax. Here he probably gets to put in both the DC and OC along with most of the rest of the coaching staff. He will be able to put his HC in waiting on the roster if he can't or doesn't want to live with Rex while he cleans out the roster.

    In Jax he is likely to have Tim Tebow shoved down his throat by the owner. Not a bad choice for Gamble who will get a pass for next years performance in NY.

  3. #183
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,326
    ... The Rooney rule is in place for a reason ... The limited amount of minorities at the top is not fair ...

    ... While it's a pain in the *ss to have to wait until Tuesday for us ... It is the right thing to do ...

    ... While we appear to have our mind set ... Going through the process will position Ross stronger for the next opening ... Eventually there will be enough pressure brought to bear on the owners to help knock more of the glass ceiling down ...





    Ljr
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 01-05-2013 at 05:59 PM.

  4. #184
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,947
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I agree with you as an African-American male Savage. I guess the Rooney rule had it's place years ago, but I would not want an interview because it's just some technicality to get the guy they truly want. I would want an interview because the team truly believes that I am a strong candidate for and have a shot at the job. Jets feel like Gamble is thier guy, because of his work and character, not because of the color of his skin, so therefore the Jets should not have to interview Ross b/c of the color of HIS skin. It's a waste of time. This is 2013 you'd think we'd get past this by now, obviously not.
    Well said my friend..

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Yes, i like Rex, i think he;s a good coach. He just needs to edit himself more, does more harm than good.
    Can I just point out something, just for fun? Back when Rex was working without a filter and speaking his mind all the time, the Jets were back-to-back AFC Championship contenders. After those two close calls, Rex decided to give into public demand and "shut his trap"... a teensy bit. Now, not only are we not in the playoffs, but Rex gets criticized for being too vague and not being more open and truthful.

    I'm definitely in the minority, but I'd like to see more of the old Rex next season. I disagree that it damages our chances, and heck, based on our prior success, maybe it'll does the opposite.

  6. #186
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,592
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I don't care if it's in-house or not. A GM is a GM.
    Well, that's not how the world works. Refusing to acknowledge the clear difference between internal vs external completely undermines your point.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Refuel View Post
    Can I just point out something, just for fun? Back when Rex was working without a filter and speaking his mind all the time, the Jets were back-to-back AFC Championship contenders. After those two close calls, Rex decided to give into public demand and "shut his trap"... a teensy bit. Now, not only are we not in the playoffs, but Rex gets criticized for being too vague and not being more open and truthful.

    I'm definitely in the minority, but I'd like to see more of the old Rex next season. I disagree that it damages our chances, and heck, based on our prior success, maybe it'll does the opposite.
    When Rex was working without a filter he had a veteran team with lots of talent all over both units. I'm guessing the filter on Rex's mouth wasn't the reason we lost or won.

  8. #188
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    It is the same. The new GM had to keep Coughlin as coach. However, they are the Giants, when they do it, its OK. When the Jets do it, it's dysfunctional.
    There is no perfect formula...or equation...that will make these type of moves succeed. So putting the Rex issue aside...

    Woody is going about this as well as any of us could've hoped for. Using a qualified consulting agency. And leaning on Polian are good moves by Woody, to try to make this process successful. Woody's not the Maras or Rooney's. Not a football knowledgeable person as owner. This is way better approach, then a flunky promotion from within. Woody isn't taking a bucket of paint, and splashing it against a blank wall. Hoping for a masterpiece.

    It may not be perfect...but it's far removed from being an obvious colossal mistake. Turning a bad situation into one that's worse.

    WTF...Jets are due to get something like this right for a change. Gamble has the background and qualifications for a GM position. So I remain optimistic...that Gamble can do a good job here for the NYJ.

  9. #189
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Well, that's not how the world works. Refusing to acknowledge the clear difference between internal vs external completely undermines your point.
    If your in-house or in the out-house going to a new position should give the GM the power to hire or fire period.. If you agree to give the HC a shot as the owner wants what difference does it make??

  10. #190
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,326
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    You people are so clueless it's really pathetic......this is a terrible hire if true and will set this franchise back another 3-4 years !!!
    That's an extremely strong statement to what would probably be a 95+% 1st choice with our fan base

    Who is your 1st choice instead?



    Ljr

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... The Rooney rule is in place for a reason ... The limited amount of minorities at the top is not fair ...

    ... While it's a pain in the *ss to have to wait until Tuesday for us ... It is the right thing to do ...

    ... While we appear to have our mind set ... Going through the process will position Cohen stronger for the next opening ... Eventually there will be enough pressure brought to bear on the owners to help knock more of the glass ceiling down ...
    I agree with your premise. However, isn't it unfair to Marc Ross that he has to go through the motions of an interview?

    Also it really isn't holding the Jets up from making an official announcement because I believe there is an NFL rule or understanding in place about making announcements on playoff game days. The Jets would have had to wait till Monday anyway.

  12. #192
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I agree at one time it made sense I just don't think it does anymore.. Who in their right mind wouldn't take Ozzie Newsome to run their team.. I guess I just see minorities as equal and some don't.. While we are at it I think there is a bias against white W/R's,RB's and DB's..
    I was not arguing for the rule to remain in place. I was just stating the reasons why the rule was there. You made a statement that the NFL is mainly minority, but that actually goes in favor of why the rule was put there in the first place. If 70% of the players are minority, but less than 5% of the management then you can see the problem.

    Heck, when the Rooney Rule was instituted in 2003, there had only been 7 minority HCs in NFL history. Seven, Savage. Seven.

    As to the rule today? I think it needs to be changed. I don't believe every team needs to interview a minority candidate for a management opening.

    Ross is hot candidate and will get his interviews without the need of the Rooney Rule.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If your in-house or in the out-house going to a new position should give the GM the power to hire or fire period.. If you agree to give the HC a shot as the owner wants what difference does it make??
    I agree with you. A GM whether hired from within or from the outside still has the same authority.

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    ..and that is a great thing. I agree with you. Owners invest a lot of money, they are going to hire the best candidate regardless of race.
    Owners are like everyone else they generally hire people they can work with and are comfortable with. The rich elite aren't any better or worse then the rest of us, they choose people they like and want around them.

    The Rooney rule gets good people in the door and gives them a chance to work on their interview skills and otherwise interact with the owners. In the long run it does have an evening impact on the playing field. I don't see any problem with it. It's not as if they are being forced to hire people they don't want to work with they are simply opening the door to people who otherwise might not get an interview.

  15. #195
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,947
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I was not arguing for the rule to remain in place. I was just stating the reasons why the rule was there. You made a statement that the NFL is mainly minority, but that actually goes in favor of why the rule was put there in the first place. If 70% of the players are minority, but less than 5% of the management then you can see the problem.Heck, when the Rooney Rule was instituted in 2003, there had only been 7 minority HCs in NFL history. Seven, Savage. Seven.

    As to the rule today? I think it needs to be changed. I don't believe every team needs to interview a minority candidate for a management opening.

    Ross is hot candidate and will get his interviews without the need of the Rooney Rule.
    So if 90% of certain player positions are not white should we have a rule for them??

  16. #196
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If your in-house or in the out-house going to a new position should give the GM the power to hire or fire period.. If you agree to give the HC a shot as the owner wants what difference does it make??
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I agree with you. A GM whether hired from within or from the outside still has the same authority.
    Here is the difference:

    The Giants were trying to REPLACE someone who (in both instances) was retiring. The GM role had been consistent for decades under George Young. They shared a common process and philosophy that ownership wanted to preserve. They were not seeking change, so firing the coach isn't really part of the discussion.

    The Jets are going OUTSIDE the organization because they want to CHANGE the way things have been done. They have proven unsuccessful (the proof is in the dismissal). So this is not succession, this is regime change. But only in terms of a half measure because the coach is part of the deal.

    All I'm saying is that if I'm taking the Jets job, given the state of affairs and the inheriting of a coach, a 3 year deal is a non starter. I want 5. Four if I have immediate say on the coach. 5 if I don't.

  17. #197
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    44,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Here is the difference:

    The Giants were trying to REPLACE someone who (in both instances) was retiring. The GM role had been consistent for decades under George Young. They shared a common process and philosophy that ownership wanted to preserve. They were not seeking change, so firing the coach isn't really part of the discussion.

    The Jets are going OUTSIDE the organization because they want to CHANGE the way things have been done. They have proven unsuccessful (the proof is in the dismissal). So this is not succession, this is regime change. But only in terms of a half measure because the coach is part of the deal.

    All I'm saying is that if I'm taking the Jets job, given the state of affairs and the inheriting of a coach, a 3 year deal is a non starter. I want 5. Four if I have immediate say on the coach. 5 if I don't.
    I understand your point I just disagree..

  18. #198
    Great News...good job, Woody...


  19. #199
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,326
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I agree with your premise. However, isn't it unfair to Marc Ross that he has to go through the motions of an interview?
    ... Even if we were 100% sure of our decision already, Ross seeing how a team is looking for him to prepare, hearing what questions he may be asked, and making some relationships with some of the nfl big shots can only be a good thing for him ...


    ... In addition to that, as he goes through more chances in the future ... There will be pressure brought from Goodell and the league office ... Basically saying, ... Hey! This is the 3rd time that a highly qualified minority is interviewing for one of these 32 spots ...he should be the choice ...





    Ljr

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I understand your point I just disagree..
    Not only was he forced to keep Coughlin, he was forced to keep Eli Manning.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us