Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    With regard to leaks the vast majority of the time in sports these leaks come from agents or representatives of the player/coach/executive involved.They are almost always the 'insecure' link in the chain and as such any half decent reporter/journalist will have cultivated a number of sources among agents and attorneys representing the parties involved.So it's not necessarily the organisation to blame here
    Good point, thanks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Great move. 1st order of business, can Rex.
    Pipe down Scooter. You saying things doesn't mean they'll happen.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    With regard to leaks the vast majority of the time in sports these leaks come from agents or representatives of the player/coach/executive involved.They are almost always the 'insecure' link in the chain and as such any half decent reporter/journalist will have cultivated a number of sources among agents and attorneys representing the parties involved.So it's not necessarily the organisation to blame here
    Good point, thanks. However, it would still require the organization to make a decision before the interviews were complete. Does that sound particularly professional?

What a tease this was.

COME ON!!! HIRE GAMBLE, DAMMIT!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    So why not just bring real affirmative action polices to nfl hiring practices? How about 20% of all hires have to me minorities? Does that satisfy the social engineers?
    Because AA was brought to the colleges because of Federal money being used to give out scholarship funds.The Jets &Giants built this without federal funds this time privately so they should be able to hite whoever they want!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Thank you so much for your well thought out and intelligent post.....

Hmmmmm are you sure you are a Jets fan....

Just kidding and thanks again!!!
    Thanks...yes a Jets Fan!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    They (Accorsi and then Reese) were internal candidates part of a succession plan. It's not at all the same situation.
    Yeah, as puppets of the ownership.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I would like to say awesome and think that everything will get better from here on out. That's the optimistic approach to take.

However, we, as Jets fans, have been through this many a time. How do we really know who we are getting? Are we getting a truly great GM who is undoubtedly going to add much more talent to our team or are we just getting another Terry Bradway?

Therefore, I choose to temper my enthusiasm with a dose of reality.

There's no doubting the guy has the experience and the background to be a successful GM. But he does have a lot of hard decisions to make:

1) What to do with Sanchez? His hands may be tied on that. He may have no choice but to keep him on the team. If he is on the team, the Jets will be operating short handed. They'll have less of a salary cap essentially.

2) Trade Tebow. Can Gamble get anything out of Tebow in trade? Or can he somehow convince Tebow that he's a FB and he should give up on playing QB? My expectation is that anything that the Jets get in the way of picks is better than nothing in regards to Tebow.

3) Can he resign Revis? Everbody knows he'll hold out this season if he isn't given an extension with big money involved. Revis is a generational player IMO. The Jets have never had that kind of talent out of any football player they have ever had. I believe the Jets should keep him on the team for as long as he remains a pro.

These are only the 3 biggest ones as I see it. I'm sure there are others.

How Gamble can handle these situations and others should really be the only expectations that we have for him. My feeling is that we shouldn't be expecting the Jets to be back where they were in 2009 and 2010. If we can barely eek into the playoffs next season and then immediately lose, I would think that has to be a huge improvement. One worthy of praise for the new GM.
    why does everyone think tebow will be gone with a competent gm he may see tebow as someone we could use remember he drafted kapernick so maybe he will see tebow in the same role.

all i know is rex would be dumb to go to sanchez because another 8-8 year and most likely he will be fired.

Practice Squad
    The Rooney rule is in place for a reason ... The limited amount of minorities at the top is not fair ...
    Not fair? Why can't the best qualified person earn the job(black, white, hispanic, whatever)? I've heard enough of the not fair stuff from the POTUS.

How long before we don't keep score in NFL games anymore? Just give both teams a win.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Stop comparing the Jets to the Giants. There is a reason why the Giants get the benefit of the doubt and we don't. We are not an innocent victim.
    Sure kid, Handley and Meggett were pervs, others had affairs, Dave Diehl drives into parked cars, Mannings stamp and pout their way out of SD, etc etc yet the Jets are eternal villains - most of the scribes bleed blue

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    Not fair? Why can't the best qualified person earn the job(black, white, hispanic, whatever)? I've heard enough of the not fair stuff from the POTUS. How long before we don't keep score in NFL games anymore? Just give both teams a win.
    As long as the minority is liberal he's downtrodden.. However if he's Herman Cain or Allen West then it's a different ballgame..

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Sure kid, Handley and Meggett were pervs, others had affairs, Dave Diehl drives into parked cars, Mannings stamp and pout their way out of SD, etc etc yet the Jets are eternal villains - most of the scribes bleed blue
    Giants signed Christian Peter back in the day. Peter was one of the most evil human beings ever to play in the NFL and that is saying something. Makes Mike Vick look like choirboy.

While at Nebraska, Peter had eight run-ins with the law for various offenses such as threatening a parking attendant while his vehicle was being towed, trespassing, public urination, refusing to comply with police, minor in possession of alcohol, failure to appear in court, and allegedly grabbing a woman by the throat. He was convicted four times. [3][4]

Most infamously, he was alleged to have raped Kathy Redmond,[5] a freshman from Littleton, Colorado; two times in two days—the second with two of his teammates keeping watch. Redmond didn't report it to police until after her freshman year. Redmond's parents confronted various Nebraska coaches about it, but Peter was never charged or disciplined. This inaction led Redmond to file a Title IX suit against Nebraska in 1995; the suit was settled two years later with Nebraska paying $50,000 and the other two agreeing to pay an undisclosed sum of money. Former coach Tom Osborne has since apologized to Redmond and the two have reconciled.[3] Recently, Osborne invited Redmond to speak to the football team about violence against women.

In 1993, Peter sexually assaulted Melissa DeMuth in his dorm room, and also groped Natalie Kuijvenhoven (a former Miss Nebraska) in a crowded bar and told her how she loved it in an obscenity-laced tirade. He was convicted and sentenced to 18 months probation, and was suspended for a 1993 exhibition game.[3]

Peter was drafted by the New England Patriots in the fifth round of the 1996 NFL Draft.
    According to The Boston Globe, Myra Kraft, the wife of Patriots owner Robert Kraft, personally demanded that the team cut all ties with Peter.[3]

The New York Giants signed him in 1997 as a free agent.

GO G-MEN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    why does everyone think tebow will be gone with a competent gm he may see tebow as someone we could use remember he drafted kapernick so maybe he will see tebow in the same role.

all i know is rex would be dumb to go to sanchez because another 8-8 year and most likely he will be fired.
    Because no half-way competent GM could ever see Tebow as a fit on this roster. Tanny trading Tebow was a stupid blunder of a disaster that had residual and secondary effects on the team.

Sanchez probably competes with a rookie qb or cheap vet like Garrard.

Tom Gamble was in charge of scouting potential FA's from 2005 through 2012.....he then added the role of college scouting to his job duties in 2010 (including the 2010 draft)...

Here's a list of some notable people drafted during that span or acquired as free agents/via trade...(with a clear caveat; I'm in no way suggesting that he's responsible for all these picks/signings, only that given his role these were the player acquisitions that might have involved his input)

Aldon Smith
    Navarro Bowman
    Colin Kaepernick
    Mario Manningham
    Randy Moss
    Donte Whitner
    Carlos Rodgers
    Perrish Cox

Mike Iupati
    Anthony Davis (starting right tackle)
    Chris Culliver (nickel back, 48 tackles, 14 pass deflections, 2 INT's)
    Joe Looney (back up guard)
    LaMicheal James
    Bruce Miller (starting FB)
    Daniel Kilgore (backup Center)
    Kendall Hunter
    AJ Jenkins
    Anthony Dixon
    Kyle Williams
    Garret Celek

Rough list, and I'm sure there's plenty I've left out (primarily late round picks from those years, that have been cut, or haven't received significant playing time)....but for the most part this seems like the names that Gamble could have had a hand in scouting/help to bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    What a tease this was.

COME ON!!! HIRE GAMBLE, DAMMIT!
    Can't officially announce ANY signing until they comply with the Rooney Rule.

that will be done on Monday, which would allow for Gamble to be introduced on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcat21 View Post
    Not fair? Why can't the best qualified person earn the job(black, white, hispanic, whatever)? I've heard enough of the not fair stuff from the POTUS.

How long before we don't keep score in NFL games anymore? Just give both teams a win.
    Because that's not what was happening. Minority candidates weren't getting interviews. Before the Rooney rule there had only been 6 minority coaches in NFL history. Never more than two in any given year. Apparently minority candidates had trouble even getting interviews.

Rooney rule doesn't guarantee a job, just an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    As long as the minority is liberal he's downtrodden.. However if he's Herman Cain or Allen West then it's a different ballgame..
    So damn true, lol.

"As a longtime friend of Rex Ryan and his family, as well as a former employee of Buddy Ryan (Rex's father), the presence of Ryan on the team is most likely one of the big draws for Gamble."

"A marriage between Gamble and Ryan is one that makes so much sense, it makes one wonder why it comes as such a surprise to many. Johnson wants to hire an up-and-comer at GM, not someone who has failed elsewhere. He also wants to continue the Buddy Ryan/Rex Ryan football philosophy. Pairing Gamble with Ryan should mean a return to the type of football played by the Jets in 2010 and by the 49ers since then."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...mble-as-new-gm

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    So damn true, lol.
    I love Allen West... The Black Caucas has a thing where when they meet a different member buys lunch for the group.. When it was his turn the lunch came from Chick-fil-A ..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Because no half-way competent GM could ever see Tebow as a fit on this roster. Tanny trading Tebow was a stupid blunder of a disaster that had residual and secondary effects on the team.

Sanchez probably competes with a rookie qb or cheap vet like Garrard.
    to bad we dont know for sure

second we could have montana on the roster and rexy would not make his bofriend compete with anyone i mean seriously a tatoo of the guys jersey............ rex is a buffoon