Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    So why not just bring real affirmative action polices to nfl hiring practices? How about 20% of all hires have to me minorities? Does that satisfy the social engineers?

... why not take your ball and go home if you can't get your way? ...

l_j_r

I never heard about the Rooney Rule til today, but since it doesn't require one to hire a minority, just to interview a minority. No one is being forced to hire a minority, so this isn't social engineering.

Personally when I first read the title of this thread (Breaking News/Strong Rumor) I thought y'all were talking about Charlie Strong, who left UF coaching staff to become Head Coach at Louisville a few years ago.

I was disappointed to see that Strong isn't the subject of this thread at all. And he would satisfy the Rooney Rule, but that isn't a factor because he's a great coach and was actively recruited.

Since the Rooney rule has been implemented there has been a pretty marked rise in minorities in FO and especially coaching positions throughout the league. It's easy to say that we've made it now and can just remove the rule, but it's just not the case in football or in society. Go to any comments section on news reports that involve minorities (yahoo for example) and see what I mean. We have a long way to go. Mike Tomlin is the shining example of the Rooney rule having a positive effect, but there's also another effect that people are overlooking.

We, for example, may be set on Tom Gamble so we now go ahead and just interview a minority to satisfy the rule. Now that candidate may even know 100% that he is not getting the job, but he still has a very real reason to show up and give the best interview he can. A great interview may not get him this particular job, but it WILL get his name out there for future jobs. These owners and FO guys all talk to each other. They all recommend guys to each other (how do you think we have been so high on Gamble?). If a minority candidate blows us away in an interview where we've already made up our minds his name will still get out there for other potential jobs either now or in the future. It's a positive experience for both the candidate and the team that interviewed him. There is nothing negative at all with continuing the Rooney rule and there's certainly no reason to abolish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Since the Rooney rule has been implemented there has been a pretty marked rise in minorities in FO and especially coaching positions throughout the league. It's easy to say that we've made it now and can just remove the rule, but it's just not the case in football or in society. Go to any comments section on news reports that involve minorities (yahoo for example) and see what I mean. We have a long way to go. Mike Tomlin is the shining example of the Rooney rule having a positive effect, but there's also another effect that people are overlooking.

We, for example, may be set on Tom Gamble so we now go ahead and just interview a minority to satisfy the rule. Now that candidate may even know 100% that he is not getting the job, but he still has a very real reason to show up and give the best interview he can. A great interview may not get him this particular job, but it WILL get his name out there for future jobs. These owners and FO guys all talk to each other. They all recommend guys to each other (how do you think we have been so high on Gamble?). If a minority candidate blows us away in an interview where we've already made up our minds his name will still get out there for other potential jobs either now or in the future. It's a positive experience for both the candidate and the team that interviewed him. There is nothing negative at all with continuing the Rooney rule and there's certainly no reason to abolish it.
    Very well said. Not only does it get his name out there for jobs with other teams, but also for another position with the team that's interviewing him now. I'm pretty sure I just used some crappy grammar and sentence structure there, but you know what I mean.

No one is being forced to hire someone or not hire someone based on the color of their skin, so no problem. Much better than AA, IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Here's the latest on the Jets' GM search:

So far, they've interviewed two candidates -- Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell and 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble. The Gamble interview occurred Saturday.

On Monday, they will meet with two more candidates, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen. Packers director of football operations John Dorsey still is on the Jets' list, but that's a fluid situation. He's rumored to be the Chiefs' GM choice.

Gamble is thought to be the Jets' frontrunner, but there's no truth to rumors that it's a done deal. It's actually kind of funny because Gamble was in the middle of his interview Saturday when rumors surfaced that he'd been hired.

The chances of hiring a GM before Tuesday's anticipated Rex Ryan/Woody Johnson news conference remain highly unlikely. The Jets may speed up the search because of the competition for top candidates, but they want to be smart and deliberate.

If the Jets aren't convinced they've found the right man by the end of the first round of interviews, which will be Monday, they could expand the search to include more candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

So far, they've interviewed two candidates -- Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell and 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble. The Gamble interview occurred Saturday.

On Monday, they will meet with two more candidates, Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen. Packers director of football operations John Dorsey still is on the Jets' list, but that's a fluid situation. He's rumored to be the Chiefs' GM choice.

Gamble is thought to be the Jets' frontrunner, but there's no truth to rumors that it's a done deal. It's actually kind of funny because Gamble was in the middle of his interview Saturday when rumors surfaced that he'd been hired.

The chances of hiring a GM before Tuesday's anticipated Rex Ryan/Woody Johnson news conference remain highly unlikely. The Jets may speed up the search because of the competition for top candidates, but they want to be smart and deliberate.

If the Jets aren't convinced they've found the right man by the end of the first round of interviews, which will be Monday, they could expand the search to include more candidates.
    If he wants the job, and canceling other interviews suggests that he does, it's his. The way I see it, it's just a matter of time before we "finish our GM search". I'd assume an announcement will Tuesday after Ross has been interviewed.

Nice snag, 10Penny. I'd like to see us interview more than just 2 people for the job, but I know it's hard to find a huge number of people qualified for the position. That's pretty funny that the rumors started in the middle of his interview LOL! Deep Throat is definitely a Jets staff member, not a player

Undrafted Free Agent
    may a new and promising era in jets football begin.
    YES!!! May the healing begin.................

jf

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Nice snag, 10Penny. I'd like to see us interview more than just 2 people for the job, but I know it's hard to find a huge number of people qualified for the position. That's pretty funny that the rumors started in the middle of his interview LOL! Deep Throat is definitely a Jets staff member, not a player
    Maybe it is gambles peoples way of letting the Jets know they were happy with their offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And btw, now, I absolutely HATE the rooney rule. I agree that at first, it served a good purpose, but not anymore, not today. I am anxiously waiting for the moment when a team interviews non-white candidate and hires him on the spot, I want to know if the same rules apply in reverse.

And btw, why are non-white people, especially black people, still listed as minorities, it's getting to the point where even blacks are no longer the minority. How about we abolish the term "minority" when dealing with demographics?
    There has, at most, been two jobs in the entire history of the NFL where no white candidates were interviewed. And one case that would not be subject to the Rooney rule (Tomlin: Steelers, internal hire, Herm Edwards: Chiefs traded picks). Every single other coaching hire in NFL history would be irrelevant to your complaint.

The simple issue was, until the Rooney rule, Black coaches were not getting the opportunities.

THIS would be our worst nightmare(aside from Clinkscales). The assistant GM to Tanny.

As far as I'm concerned, *ANY* candidate that was not TAINTED with the Jets SUCK-and-Circus show these past several years is welcome to the GM job. No In-house candidateds, PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    THIS would be our worst nightmare(aside from Clinkscales). The assistant GM to Tanny.

As far as I'm concerned, *ANY* candidate that was not TAINTED with the Jets SUCK-and-Circus show these past several years is welcome to the GM job. No In-house candidateds, PLEASE!
    I'm pretty certain those two are just the Rooney Rule and Common Courtesy interviews.

TOM, TOM, HE'S OUR MAN! IF HE CAN'T DO IT, WE'LL RUN HIS ASS OUT OF TOWN IN 3 YEARS!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    There has, at most, been two jobs in the entire history of the NFL where no white candidates were interviewed. And one case that would not be subject to the Rooney rule (Tomlin: Steelers, internal hire, Herm Edwards: Chiefs traded picks). Every single other coaching hire in NFL history would be irrelevant to your complaint.

The simple issue was, until the Rooney rule, Black coaches were not getting the opportunities.
    Not exactly...

Sportswriters and pundits often credit the Rooney Rule with boosting the number of minority coaches in the National Football League. But a study by Indiana University economist Todd Walker and two other researchers determined that the rule, adopted in 2003, has in fact had little impact on hiring.

The study also found little evidence of racial discrimination in the hiring of head coaches in the NFL, either before or since the Rooney Rule was adopted. The authors suggest that, if the league wants to increase the number of minority head coaches, it should focus on getting more African-Americans and Hispanics in the pipeline through low-level coaching positions.

(Study covers years 1970 - 2008)

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/17626.html

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    What the hell does that mean! He is biracial anyway. Because of a black president all of a sudden blacks have power in this country? Poor minorities move here from a total different historical perspective that people born and raised here. Most of the people in power in this country are white. They are setting the agenda not some black person in the streets. Until this country address the past and admits it then tensions will continue to fester. This country won't admit wrongs of the past and the effects it causes on the future. We all agree an abused person remains damaged but why can't we admit the high drug abuse rate of native american on reservations are mostly not totally our fault. Every time race relations are talked about Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are trotted out as examples. You won't understand where I'm coming from so I will just say I respectfully disagree with you.
    So now Obama's not black enough either? Jesse, and Al are not examples, they are the problem, and as long as you think your different than everyone else, and hold onto that anger you'll not succeed in bettering the situation. The white man in the street doesn't set the agenda either. I know I wouldn't understand where you're coming from, but maybe it's about time you stopped basing everything on where you came from. We're both in the same place now, so maybe we should work together and stop thinking we're so different, and we might just get where we're going.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... why not take your ball and go home if you can't get your way? ...

l_j_r

What the hell are you talking about? My way is the best person gets the job and employers, here in 2013, get to decide who to interview. My daughter is bi-racial, when she grows up I want her to be successful because she earned it, not because the PC Police wee in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

Tomlin wasn't an internal hire...He came from MN where he was their DC

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Wouldn't the women automatically come in under the present minority rule
    They are surely a minority in ownership the only one I recall is Georgia Frontiere that got majority ownership of the Rams when her husband died.. I know Condoleezza Rice is a big football fan and would love to be commissioner..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Tomlin wasn't an internal hire...He came from MN where he was their DC
    True, plus Tomlin supposedly blew away the Steelers during his interview. Many think if there wasnt the Rooney rule he would not have had the opportunity to interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    They are surely a minority in ownership the only one I recall is Georgia Frontiere that got majority ownership of the Rams when her husband died.. I know Condoleezza Rice is a big football fan and would love to be commissioner..
    Much rather get Roseanne as Commish...

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, plus Tomlin supposedly blew away the Steelers during his interview. Many think if there wasnt the Rooney rule he would not have had the opportunity to interview.
    Herm Edwards blew our FO away...Aren't we always the lucky ones?