Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Source just said the Jets have not offered the job to Gamble or anyone else yet. #nyj

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    "That was an easy few hundred thousand dollars."

- Korn/Ferry
    +1

And best choice of the candidates out there. Hope it gets done for real.

I always thought the "Rex will cost them a good candidate" claim was baseless. Woody didn't give Rex an extension which wouldve been a real vote of confidence. Instead, he just left him with 2 yrs left on his contract which essentially makes him a lame duck under the new GM who can fire him when he wants.

Also, the Heckert info about him cancelling the Jets interview because of the cap situation is equally baseless. The cap situation is well known in the industry. Heckert's people likely got wind that the Jets were hot for Gamble (who was set to interview the same weekend) and decided not to waste his time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Good news if true. I hope by 'can work with Rex' it means locking the door on the scouting complex and telling REx to sit down, shut up and coach the players he is given.
    It would be silly not to get Rex's input on Defense as long as he has no say on offense. Didn't Ryan get to pick Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamble cancelled a second interview in Jacksonville a few minutes ago. Rumor here has it that he wants ONLY the Jets!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Source just said the Jets have not offered the job to Gamble or anyone else yet. #nyj

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on who the OC is. I still would prefer Matt Flynn, more upside.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Sanchez pick didn't work out. But to be fair, he was the number 1 guy on almost every teams board. Reminds me of the drafting of Blair thomas. He was a bust, but he was the num 1 back on everyones board,It just didn't work out

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan10 View Post
    And this is why I don't trust bloggers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Depends on who the OC is. I still would prefer Matt Flynn, more upside.
    Besides one meaningless game, what has Flynn done to lead you to believe he is the answer at QB?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Told at start of GM search that new GM wouldn't be in place by Rex/Woody presser on Tuesday. Nothing has changed. #Jets

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems almost everybody here gives Gamble a big thumbs up. so I must ask .... all you Gamble lovers/Rex haters, what happens if Gamble is given the authority to fire Rex, but does not, are you gonna turn on him, too?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    It would be silly not to get Rex's input on Defense as long as he has no say on offense. Didn't Ryan get to pick Sanchez.
    Rex is a special case, though. Rex has zero ability to accurately assess a player because he thinks he can coach up anyone. And in the middle to late rounds that's a recipe for failure because there are no slam dunks there.

The best he should do is advocate for a position rather than a specific player. So, it will be Rex saying, "We need fast linebackers," and then Gamble saying, "Okay, I'll get you some." That's it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    It seems almost everybody here gives Gamble a big thumbs up. so I must ask .... all you Gamble lovers/Rex haters, what happens if Gamble is given the authority to fire Rex, but does not, are you gonna turn on him, too?
    No, there will be plenty of time for that after his choice for the 9th pick in the draft is declared a bust the first week of training camp.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Giants dir of college scouting Marc Ross gets his interview Monday, per NY Post. Minority candidate. #Rooneyrule #Jets

Yea, show's back on. Tom's our man. Just a little rooney rule bs to clear up first, gents.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes people assume Gamble will bring in Alex Smith?

He was part of the group that traded up to draft Kraperdick. That should tell you how they feel about Alex Smith.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    No, there will be plenty of time for that after his choice for the 9th pick in the draft is declared a bust the first week of training camp.
    It won't take nearly that long. I remember Schein going nuts 2 minutes after the Chargers took Ingram after we took Coples, saying how the Chargers got the better player. By the way, did Ingram make the Chargers?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Giants dir of college scouting Marc Ross gets his interview Monday, per NY Post. Minority candidate. #Rooneyrule #Jets

Yea, show's back on. Tom's our man. Just a little rooney rule bs to clear up first, gents.
    No kidding. Other than Def.holding being a 5 yard penaly AND automatic first down regardless of down and distance, Rooney Rule easily the dumbest in the league.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    No kidding. Other than Def.holding being a 5 yard penaly AND automatic first down regardless of down and distance, Rooney Rule easily the dumbest in the league.
    "Rooney Rule, Offense, Number 32. 15 yard penalty, automatic first down."

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is accepting a job from the Jets a solid career move? Herm, Mangini, Rex.....none shined more brightly than before they arrived in Jersey....and their shine faded....some right out of the NFL eventually. Tuna had some legs....he cashed a nice check on whomever's doorstep he landed on. Belichick was proactive and escaped before he was soiled by whatever infects the coaching staff with prolonged mediocrity then failure. Just saying, working for this organization hasn't proven to be the best career move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by klecko73 View Post
    https://twitter.com/brian_bassett/st...18796225708032

Brian Bassett‏@Brian_Bassett

BREAKING: Source w/ knowledge of #Jets contracts tells TJB Jets have essentially "cemented" deal w/ Tom Gamble. Deal likely to run 3-4 yrs.
    Can't yet "officially"...Jets still need to interview a minority candidate i.e. Ross (Monday)...

And 3 years is too short for a GM...