Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

Rex

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    So you like Rex, right
    Yes, i like Rex, i think he;s a good coach. He just needs to edit himself more, does more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    0%

He's the OC of the Packers and no way he makes a lateral move to leave AR12 and come to a very shaky situation at QB......
    I thought he was the QB coach? He definitely doesn't call plays, thats McCarthy.

Edit: Wow, bad call by me. I forgot they promoted Clements after Philbin left last year.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 01-05-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Explain how bringing in a minority who is a coach you don't want helps anything?? In 2003 the Lions wanted Steve Mariucci they had minority people scheduled but they cancelled because they knew the Lions wanted Mariucci.. So the Lions got fined 200,000 for not interviewing any minorities..
    It's a ridiculous rule, but symbolic of the PC era we live in. The Jets will hire Tom Gamble, but will hold off till interviewing Marc Ross on Monday to satisfy the Rooney Rule.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 01-05-2013 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    You people are so clueless it's really pathetic....this is just another band aid by Woody...the LAST thing this team needed was someone who had ties to Rex...this guy will be nothing more than a puppet.....Rex is now still going to be running the show and this team is screwed....anyone who thinks this is a good hire is delusional.....I can hear the press conference now " Rex and I have a similar philosophy, we like to run the ball and play good defense"....this is a terrible hire if true and will set this franchise back another 3-4 years !!!
    We don't need no Gamble...we don't need no Rex...we don't need anybody...we got uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuu

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

People don't realize that when the Giants changed GM's both Jim Fassel and Tom Coughlin were already in place and the new GM's kept them..
    They (Accorsi and then Reese) were internal candidates part of a succession plan. It's not at all the same situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    They (Accorsi and then Reese) were internal candidates part of a succession plan. It's not at all the same situation.
    So are you saying the new GM's had no power to remove them or they gave them a shot and they liked them as HC??
    Last edited by Savage69; 01-05-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Name one instance. Are you a Incarcerated Bob supporter?
    All three guys are on the same level of nonsense. Steiny for one is always talking about these scrubs, like Ricky Sapp, claiming to be plugged in and all of this. His nonsense about Norv and Rivers last week took it to a new level.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Yes arguably the hottest GM commodity out there will set us back 4 years.
    Again, not going to pretend I know, but "the hot" coach or GM candidate are epic failures often.

No one knows the first thing about this guy really. We'll all have to wait and see how it works...

So are youi saying the new GM's had no power to remove them or they gave them a shot and they liked them as HC??
    It is the same. The new GM had to keep Coughlin as coach. However, they are the Giants, when they do it, its OK. When the Jets do it, it's dysfunctional.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    It is the same. The new GM had to keep Coughlin as coach. However, they are the Giants, when they do it, its OK. When the Jets do it, it's dysfunctional.
    Stop comparing the Jets to the Giants. There is a reason why the Giants get the benefit of the doubt and we don't. We are not an innocent victim.

Besides the fact that he was a great candidate for the job, this is the best possible hire for Rex:

Rumors that owner Woody Johnson's refusal to fire head coach Rex Ryan might scare off potential GM candidates appear to have been irrelevant. As a longtime friend of Rex Ryan and his family, as well as a former employee of Buddy Ryan (Rex's father), the presence of Ryan on the team is most likely one of the big draws for Gamble.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...mble-as-new-gm

All Pro
    I agree at one time it made sense I just don't think it does anymore.. Who in their right mind wouldn't take Ozzie Newsome to run their team.. I guess I just see minorities as equal and some don't.. While we are at it I think there is a bias against white W/R's,RB's and DB's..
    I agree with you as an African-American male Savage. I guess the Rooney rule had it's place years ago, but I would not want an interview because it's just some technicality to get the guy they truly want. I would want an interview because the team truly believes that I am a strong candidate for and have a shot at the job. Jets feel like Gamble is thier guy, because of his work and character, not because of the color of his skin, so therefore the Jets should not have to interview Ross b/c of the color of HIS skin. It's a waste of time. This is 2013 you'd think we'd get past this by now, obviously not.
    Last edited by carlito1171; 01-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

So are youi saying the new GM's had no power to remove them or they gave them a shot and they liked them as HC??
    Again, I think it is a completely different dynamic. The Giants have had success. Success breeds stability. That stability is strengthened by promoting from within the organization. Different people have different influence as time and performance can be measured.

I would guess that when Accorsi and Reese were promoted, they didnt have autonomy, but as time goes by, they do.

But to my point, I am surprised that someone coming from the OUTSIDE would come in with only a 3 or 4 year deal when he does not have autonomy on the coach.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Umm, no. See post above.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The argument is the coach/GM at least gets his name out in the circle and gains experience preparing for the interview and the actual interview itself...
    and this is still a good thing, I think Mike Singletary became a hot coaching prospect after a few great interviews

I would not underestimate Marc Ross

http://www.giants.com/team/staff/mar...d-ea613a65d0de
    Last edited by Ohio State NY Jets fan; 01-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Stop comparing the Jets to the Giants. There is a reason why the Giants get the benefit of the doubt and we don't. We are not an innocent victim.
    What's right is right.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

What's right is right.
    Except when it's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Umm, no. See post above.
    I don't care if it's in-house or not. A GM is a GM.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 01-05-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I agree with you as an African-American male Savage. I guess the Rooney rule had it's place years ago, but I would not want an interview because it's just some technicality to get the guy they truly want. I would want an interview because the team truly believes that I am a strong candidate for and have a shot at the job.
    good for you!

To be honest I think this rule has seen its time come and go, I don't think people are chosen as players, coaches, scouts, or front office types based on race any longer, there is too much at stake in today's NFL to hold a bias towards anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    and this is still a good thing, I think Mike Singletary became a hot coaching prospect after a few great interviews

I would not underestimate Marc Ross

http://www.giants.com/team/staff/mar...d-ea613a65d0de
    Although it seems unlikely via reports I wouldn't have any problem with Ross if he were to be the choice.