Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    unless gamble was told by woody he has to keep rex ryan i think the tattoo perv boy wonder is a goner.

rex tarnishes the image of this football team.
    Maybe Gamble knows a good cover-up tattoo guy

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Giants dir of college scouting Marc Ross gets his interview Monday, per NY Post. Minority candidate. #Rooneyrule #Jets

Yea, show's back on. Tom's our man. Just a little rooney rule bs to clear up first, gents.
    You may want to rethink that statement; that rule may be awkward but it helps provide transparency.

Everybody calm down now

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Any chance Tom Clements gets brought in as OC?
    He already is GBs OC..So in less his contract has run out..No! Unless of course GB allows him out..But since it's a lateral move the Jets can't ask permission to speak to Clements.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The scouting reports on him are good.Stong arm,reads defenses quickly,accurate.Mobile, but not a runner.He threw for 500 yds and 6 tds on Monday night, only one game, but geez. Lets get him, keep our fingers crossed and draft a QB, this year or next

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Good news if true. I hope by 'can work with Rex' it means locking the door on the scouting complex and telling REx to sit down, shut up and coach the players he is given.
    No...You still want your HC and Coaches input..BUT you can't allow them to influence the pick or allow them to make the picks..That also goes for potential FAs, Trades, UDFAs etc....The GM should be trusting his scouts and personnel people..
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-05-2013 at 03:06 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He did a helluva job with Mo, and Coples.I think Antonio Allen and Josh Bush, both late round picks, will make significant contributions next year, along with Demario Davis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    The scouting reports on him are good.Stong arm,reads defenses quickly,accurate.Mobile, but not a runner.He threw for 500 yds and 6 tds on Monday night, only one game, but geez. Lets get him, keep our fingers crossed and draft a QB, this year or next
    Who are you talking about?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Who are you talking about?
    Gamble. He was a pretty good college QB and blew up in his flag football rec league game monday night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to go to work.

Looking forward to seeing who the H.C. is in 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You may want to rethink that statement; that rule may be awkward but it helps provide transparency.

Everybody calm down now
    Well, that's my opinion. I get that it helps in ways, but the politics behind it are stupid af.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yipppeeeee!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    What makes people assume Gamble will bring in Alex Smith?

He was part of the group that traded up to draft Kraperdick. That should tell you how they feel about Alex Smith.
    That was before Smith's "transformation", if you will.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Question: Is Gamble able to take this job even though the 49ers season is still going on because he isn't currently a GM? Since this is a promotion and not a lateral move he's okay to jump ship right now when the 49ers have a playoff game coming up?
    Pretty sure the answer is yes...Its not like he's a coach..He may need a week or so to transition some things but I don't think he has to wait until the SF season is over...

Actually this is the time of year GM, Scouts, Personnel people are gearing up for their season (while the coaching staff, players are winding down)..They need to get their houses in order for scouting college all-star games, combine, pro days, FA, the draft..so you really want your GM in place asap and if he's leaving, SF wants to fill his spot/responsibilities asap

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, that's my opinion. I get that it helps in ways, but the politics behind it are stupid af.
    If you lived long enough, you'd realize that it is a good rule.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Has this been confirmed anywhere else?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Gamble, our new QB. No, only kidding. Matt Flynn, who i would prefer over Alex Smith.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    If you lived long enough, you'd realize that it is a good rule.
    I can't agree and you know I have lived long enough.. The Majority of the NFL is minority, if a minority owner came in and only hired minority coaches I would have no problem with that.. This is 2013 not 1960.. You should hire who you want period..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    unless gamble was told by woody he has to keep rex ryan i think the tattoo perv boy wonder is a goner.

rex tarnishes the image of this football team.
    Tarnish the image of this footba team?? May I ask what that image is? Based on most of your posts and many others, the Image of this football team has been negative and that has been going on way before Red arrived. He did bring an image when he had this team in the playoffs first two years. But of course, when the going gets tough, the sojf get high ans mighty

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the rub!!!

I for one am in favor of Rex getting fired. However, while I think that is the right way to go, it doesn't really matter. The Jets will decide how to move forward.

I see many posters calling for 2013 to be a do or die year for Rex. One poster even suggested that Gamble would hire the heir apparent as OC and if Rex fails he takes over in 2014... My concern with any of that is that it doesn't work!!!!

If the house was cleaned, the new GM would hire a new HC and that coach would get a 3 or 4 yr deal. Rex has 2 years left on his deal. The right business decision in our case is simple. Gamble has one of two choices:

1. Fire Rex and bring in a whole new coaching staff. This allows him to mold the team with players that compliment the new coach's vision and philosophy and demonstrates clearly that he has his man.

2. Extend Rex Ryan back out to three years. This shows in no uncertain way that Rex is his guy! They are in this together and they are committed to working together to get things turned around. It says to the fans that Rex is his man and the best guy for the job and leaves no question that Rex just staying for another year is a money decision by the owner.

Moving forward with Rex's contract as is would basically be the same as letting him coach out a lame duck year. FA are harder to sign because they don't like coaching changes and would be concerned that Rex could be let go in a year. Our draft (#9 pick I might add) would be geared towards trying to clean this mess up quickly and might have us pick players they would be no good for us should we go with a new coach with a new scheme ( see Vilma 4-3 vs. 3-4).
    While i prefer we go in a new direction now, I can understand staying the course. However doing so is fraught with peril if you let Rex coach this year with no extension... Just my two cents...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one else (NFLN, ESPN, etc) have confirmed this. Is this a done deal?

Source?

Friggin' happy we got the best candidate out there if it is confirmed.