Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Breaking News/Strong Rumor: Reports Tom Gamble agrees to be Jets GM

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    No kidding. Other than Def.holding being a 5 yard penaly AND automatic first down regardless of down and distance, Rooney Rule easily the dumbest in the league.
    I think it's a good rule. Some minority candidates would never be considered as the NFL would be an even worse good old boy network. The interview doesn't guarantee getting hired just an interview. I don't think Tomlin would have gotten the job without it. Not that he wasn't good enough but that teams are forced to think outside the box. It's still up to officials doing the hiring but at least consider someone that looks different from you. The hiring officials are only human so this just has them look for the best person anywhere not just in his circles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    to bad we dont know for sure

second we could have montana on the roster and rexy would not make his bofriend compete with anyone i mean seriously a tatoo of the guys jersey............ rex is a buffoon
    If you REALLY believe that, then you are the buffoon.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Most of the racism that I hear comes from the mouths of minorities. That guy Parker on ESPN is usually good for one a week.
    That's pure horse-crap! Racism without the power means nothing. Parker said something stupid, a marked difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And btw, now, I absolutely HATE the rooney rule. I agree that at first, it served a good purpose, but not anymore, not today. I am anxiously waiting for the moment when a team interviews non-white candidate and hires him on the spot, I want to know if the same rules apply in reverse.

And btw, why are non-white people, especially black people, still listed as minorities, it's getting to the point where even blacks are no longer the minority. How about we abolish the term "minority" when dealing with demographics?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And btw, now, I absolutely HATE the rooney rule. I agree that at first, it served a good purpose, but not anymore, not today. I am anxiously waiting for the moment when a team interviews non-white candidate and hires him on the spot, I want to know if the same rules apply in reverse.

And btw, why are non-white people, especially black people, still listed as minorities, it's getting to the point where even blacks are no longer the minority. How about we abolish the term "minority" when dealing with demographics?
    One of the rare times when I agree with you. The double standards are ridiculous.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I agree with you as an African-American male Savage. I guess the Rooney rule had it's place years ago, but I would not want an interview because it's just some technicality to get the guy they truly want. I would want an interview because the team truly believes that I am a strong candidate for and have a shot at the job. Jets feel like Gamble is thier guy, because of his work and character, not because of the color of his skin, so therefore the Jets should not have to interview Ross b/c of the color of HIS skin. It's a waste of time. This is 2013 you'd think we'd get past this by now, obviously not.
    I don't. Things are not so much better that the rule isn't necessary. Considering the percentage of minority players in the NFL the coaches and GM positions are vastly underrated. Are you saying their are no minority that have the talent to excel at the job? Herm is not a representative of all minority coaches. You never know just who will be good or not but if you never look then it remains an unknown. How did Newsome, Tomlin, Dennis Green get the chance? That rule says they should listen.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Hit the Quote button when you want to reply to a particular post.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    That's pure horse-crap! Racism without the power means nothing. Parker said something stupid, a marked difference.
    The President is black. What power is it they don't have? They have the rule don't they. If I white man says a slur while committing a crime it's double the penalty. The reverse is not true. That's also power. This stuff is doing more harm than good. Are race relations any better? Are blacks any better off than they were? Poor minorities move here all the time and make a better life for themselves, but these entitlements and sense of being owed a better life instead af making a better life is what's keeping them down. I blame Jesse Jackson, and Sharpton, and the rest for keeping people angry. You can't make any progress when you're angry, and people get tired of giving when you get spat upon for it. This stuff needs to be left in the past and we need to move on.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? They are 12% of the population of this country that's why. The other way happens all the time that's what you fail to consider. When the NFL is 6% non minority@ positions in coaching and front office (which I hope we don't care what color someone is) then I'm sure you will get you wish.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Really? They are 12% of the population of this country that's why. The other way happens all the time that's what you fail to consider. When the NFL is 6% non minority@ positions in coaching and front office (which I hope we don't care what color someone is) then I'm sure you will get you wish.
    Yes, I know, it was an off-the-cuff remark especially since I live in NY/NJ, and that population statistic is certainly not true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

just because whites are soon to no longer be the majority, it doesnt mean that we're still not the largest group in the country. I think african americans still dont make up more than around 12%. And when you consider the hiring history of NFL GMs/coaches, especially compared with the racial breakdowns of the players, you can easily see that something that doesn't add up.

Now, does that mean that the rule doesn't seem dumb in the case of a team like the Jets, where they already have their candidate and now must do an interview to fulfull quotes? Of course... but look back before the rule was implemented, and see how many people were passed over.. for the the Jets to take the time to interview another candidate (that will take a day) is worth it..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The President is black. What power is it they don't have? They have the rule don't they. If I white man says a slur while committing a crime it's double the penalty. The reverse is not true. That's also power. This stuff is doing more harm than good. Are race relations any better? Are blacks any better off than they were? Poor minorities move here all the time and make a better life for themselves, but these entitlements and sense of being owed a better life instead af making a better life is what's keeping them down. I blame Jesse Jackson, and Sharpton, and the rest for keeping people angry. You can't make any progress when you're angry, and people get tired of giving when you get spat upon for it. This stuff needs to be left in the past and we need to move on.
    What the hell does that mean! He is biracial anyway. Because of a black president all of a sudden blacks have power in this country? Poor minorities move here from a total different historical perspective that people born and raised here. Most of the people in power in this country are white. They are setting the agenda not some black person in the streets. Until this country address the past and admits it then tensions will continue to fester. This country won't admit wrongs of the past and the effects it causes on the future. We all agree an abused person remains damaged but why can't we admit the high drug abuse rate of native american on reservations are mostly not totally our fault. Every time race relations are talked about Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton are trotted out as examples. You won't understand where I'm coming from so I will just say I respectfully disagree with you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets get back on topic. The internet is never a good place to discuss topics of race, religion, etc.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...atch-1.4411353

The feeling seems mutual between Tom Gamble and the Jets.
    The 49ers' director of player personnel has been considered the front-runner for the team's vacant general manager job for several days. Gamble showed his interest by canceling his second interview with the Jaguars in order "to focus on the Jets," according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The buzz around the league is that Gamble -- who met with owner Woody Johnson Saturday -- eventually will be named the Jets' GM. But they have not agreed upon a deal.

Not only is Gamble well-respected, but the 49ers' drafts have been stellar in recent years. Gamble was a quality control coach for the Jets from 1995-96 and has history with Rex Ryan. The son of former Eagles president Harry Gamble, he has known Ryan for more than 20 years, having worked under Ryan's father, Buddy, in Philadelphia.

The Jets also are expected to interview Marc Ross on Monday. The Giants' director of college scouting, who has helped target top talent such as two-time Pro Bowler Jason Pierre-Paul, wide receiver Hakeem Nicks and running back David Wilson, is rumored to be the favorite for the Panthers' GM job.
    By meeting with Ross, the Jets will satisfy the Rooney Rule, which mandates that NFL teams must interview minority candidates for head-coaching and senior football operation opportunities.

Assistant general manager Scott Cohen also is in the mix.

The Jets' wish list, however, has dwindled significantly in recent days. Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell met with them Friday, but according to Schefter, the Jaguars are leaning toward Caldwell for their GM opening. Recently fired Browns GM Tom Heckert also was being considered for the Jets' vacant GM job, but he canceled Monday's interview because of concerns about the Jets' sticky salary-cap situation. Packers director of football operations John Dorsey, who was scheduled to interview with the Jets Saturday, is expected to join Andy Reid in Kansas City as the Chiefs' new GM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Lets get back on topic. The internet is never a good place to discuss topics of race, religion, etc.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...atch-1.4411353
    I agree

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can anyone hate the Rooney rule? It has no impact on your what so ever. It's a good way to get minority candidate names floated around. Who really gives a crap?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    People don't realize that when the Giants changed GM's both Jim Fassel and Tom Coughlin were already in place and the new GM's kept them..
    Both had made the playoffs in each of their seasons before the new GM came in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great thread. Can we lock it, cause its really turned to s$it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    Great thread. Can we lock it, cause its really turned to s$it
    Agreed.

Let's hurry up so we can turn the next one to **** too...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rooney rule exists for a purpose. And I like it it all but one case. When you have a candidate that you are zeroed in on. If all you want to do is negotiate with that one guy and that guy is white. fine. however in the case of the jets where they asked multiple teams for permission to interview candidates, then yes one shuld be a minority, Like wise any time you only search internally

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Yeah, as puppets of the ownership.
    I'm sorry. Is that your opinion? That wasn't what I said.