View Poll Results: Do you want Alex Smith at QB for the Jets?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definite upgrade and we can win with him

91 57.59%
  • No, he's not much of an upgrade over Sanchez

67 42.41%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with most of what's already been said. As a short-term stopgap, he's a definite upgrade over what we've had. I wouldn't give up a ton to get him though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If we brought him in to be a 1-2 year stopgap, while we draft a franchise QB in 2014. I'm fine with that.

What i don't want to hear is we're bringing him in to be "the guy" for the long haul.
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the thing is if the jets bring in smith it will be for the long haul. he's not coming here to be a 1-2 season stop gap.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 questions:

* What would the Jets have to give up?

* What is Smith's contract like? (ie - how many years left, how much, cap ramifications, etc.)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    NO!

We should stop giving up draft picks. That is what Tannenbaum did. No big contracts. If he didn't cost a draft pick and a sizable cap hit, okay. We need to stop going all in every year like we're one player away. Build the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    No. He is a Mark Sanchez 2.0
    That's kinda how I feel.

Is he an upgrade? Possibly. Slightly. But I think these guys are very similar.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we are trying to compete next year ya Id take anyone over sanchez. But If we are trying to tank next year to draft a good qb prospect in top 10 draft 2014 Sanchez is best qualified for the job

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's an upgrade, not sure about long-term, but if it can be done at a reasonable cost, might be worth a shot

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    As a 1-2 year stop gap? Absolutely. He's 10x the QB Sanchez is for the lone reasons of accuracy to his own team as well as the lack of turnovers.
    Think so? Look at the support system (talent)he had around him when he suddenly blossomed. Take that away like it was taken from Sanchez and he'll revert back to his earlier ineptitude and look much the same as Sanchez has.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. We'd go from getting the worst QB play in the league to an efficient, game manager which is all Rex ever asked for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Think so? Look at the support system (talent)he had around him when he suddenly blossomed. Take that away like it was taken from Sanchez and he'll revert back to his earlier ineptitude and look much the same as Sanchez has.
    When did he "blossom"... last year? What weapons did he have over the years? I don't recall him ever having any weapons other than Davis. I'd take Smith's numbers from 2009.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No he may actually be a downgrade over what we have and that is saying something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has not distinguished himself in 8 years. First pick in his draft. Pass.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Yes! The man can run an Offense suitable for a GROUND & POUND team!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! The man can run an Offense suitable for a GROUND & POUND team! Smith makes few errors and is a winner! I want Suckchez GONE!
    No! He runs an Offense where the running game is strong and the Defense is as well! Sound familiar?!?! It's the Jets TWO YEARS ago! That team no longer exists, for multiple reasons!

Period

Exclamation Point

Question Mark

Punctuation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    If we are trying to compete next year ya Id take anyone over sanchez. But If we are trying to tank next year to draft a good qb prospect in top 10 draft 2014 Sanchez is best qualified for the job
    If Sanchez starts in 2013...

The outraged media and many fans, are going to demand to see Gamble's biceps, for a #6 jersey tattoo. If none is there. They may demand he pulls down his pants, for further examinations, to make sure the tattoo isn't hidden somewhere else

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    If Sanchez starts in 2013...

The outraged media and many fans, are going to demand to see Gamble's biceps, for a #6 jersey tattoo. If none is there. They may demand he pulls down his pants, for further examinations, to make sure the tattoo isn't hidden somewhere else
    Quite honestly if Sanchez or McEnutts is starting next year I will not watch one game. This team needs someone that can lead. That is not it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! The man can run an Offense suitable for a GROUND & POUND team! Smith makes few errors and is a winner! I want Suckchez GONE!
    Instead of finding a qb that fits the ground and poundnonsense, why not bring a real qb that can run a modern offense. I'm sick of settling for an offense that won't hurt us, I want an offense that can actually win us a game.this isn't 1986 anymore.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Compared with the other available QB's (both in-house and FA), you can't do any better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Quite honestly if Sanchez or McEnutts is starting next year I will not watch one game. This team needs someone that can lead. That is not it.
    Someone that impressed the hell out of me this season is a rookie named RG3.. That kid is a natural born leader..