View Poll Results: Do you want Alex Smith at QB for the Jets?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definite upgrade and we can win with him

    91 57.59%
  • No, he's not much of an upgrade over Sanchez

    67 42.41%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 127

Thread: Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

  1. #41
    If the choice is Sanchez, Vick or Smith... I'll take Smith every day. I'm no Vick fan, but I'd rather see him out there than our useless QB.

    Sanchez = $8 million clipboard holder.

  2. #42

    BS

    when Sanchez had a top 5 running game and top 5 defense, he was able to perform. Smith had what Sanchez had in his rookie season when he was well experienced in his 4-7th seasons. Smith is a looser and not worth giving up draft picks and fuking the cap, hes a JAG. Smith faces defenses with 8 in the box for 75% of the game and the dude threw a 300 yard game once, you can draft a polished third rounder and have him do what alex smith does.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,252
    Nope, don't think he can win a SB so why bother

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    When did he "blossom"... last year? What weapons did he have over the years? I don't recall him ever having any weapons other than Davis. I'd take Smith's numbers from 2009.
    Gore and Crabtree. Watch football much?

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Nope, don't think he can win a SB so why bother
    I don't believe anyone is saying they want him because he can win SB's. There saying they want him because he would serve as a good stop gap until the Jets can find/draft their QB of the future.

    That's why I want him. He takes good care of the football. He doesn't turn the ball over. He also does a good job at taking what the defense gives him. And from time to time he'll also make some pretty damn impressive plays that you didn't think he was capable of.

    SB QB? No.

    Good veteran leadership to provide great competition for a young up and coming QB? YES.

  6. #46
    I feel he is an upgrade to the last year and a half of Sanchez football. I also don't think he is much better if at all to the year and a half that preceded that. Undecided I guess.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    When did he "blossom"... last year? What weapons did he have over the years? I don't recall him ever having any weapons other than Davis. I'd take Smith's numbers from 2009.
    Ok, then I'd take Sanchez's 2011 stats.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,929
    We need a quarterback that can win a game with his arm, a quarterback who benefits but doesn't necessarily need a dominant rushing game. That guy is not Alex Smith.

  9. #49
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,861
    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    when Sanchez had a top 5 running game and top 5 defense, he was able to perform. Smith had what Sanchez had in his rookie season when he was well experienced in his 4-7th seasons. Smith is a looser and not worth giving up draft picks and fuking the cap, hes a JAG. Smith faces defenses with 8 in the box for 75% of the game and the dude threw a 300 yard game once, you can draft a polished third rounder and have him do what alex smith does.
    LOL

    Before Smith was benched, he was leading the league in completion percentage (70%) and had a better than 2:1 TD/INT ratio.

    When the hell has Sanchez even come remotely close to that?

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    3,165
    He's better than the other potential options but definitely shouldn't invest too much in him

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I don't believe anyone is saying they want him because he can win SB's. There saying they want him because he would serve as a good stop gap until the Jets can find/draft their QB of the future.

    That's why I want him. He takes good care of the football. He doesn't turn the ball over. He also does a good job at taking what the defense gives him. And from time to time he'll also make some pretty damn impressive plays that you didn't think he was capable of.

    SB QB? No.

    Good veteran leadership to provide great competition for a young up and coming QB? YES.
    A lot of analyists picked 49er early on to win the SB and Smith was the QB.
    He had one of the highest wonderlic scores ever, so the guy aint dumb.

  12. #52
    They're basically the same player I don't know everyone thinks Alex Smith is the savior. I wouldn't be shocked if Suckchez beat him out in TC and preseason.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    A lot of analyists picked 49er early on to win the SB and Smith was the QB.
    He had one of the highest wonderlic scores ever, so the guy aint dumb.
    Smith is just another game manager with no big play ability. I'm so sick of the Jets going after these types of QB's the Penningtons, Fiedlers, Clemenses, Sanchezes etc. We haven't had a big, athletic mobile strong armed QB since Vinny in 1998.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    If the choice is Sanchez, Vick or Smith... I'll take Smith every day. I'm no Vick fan, but I'd rather see him out there than our useless QB.

    Sanchez = $8 million clipboard holder.
    Don't want any of those clowns as my starter next season. We are stuck with Sanchez unfortunately and have no choice so he'll at least get a shot to compete for the starting job.

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    He;a big upgrade over what we have, thats for sure. But i would prefer if we went after Matt Flynn, more upside, not a mental weakling like Sanchez
    The Matt Flynn who has done nothing in the NFL except sign a big contract and then couldn't beat out Russell Wilson for the starting job?

    No thanks. If Gamble can bring Alex Smith and somehow get Sanchez to go the other way, DO IT NOW!

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    They're basically the same player I don't know everyone thinks Alex Smith is the savior. I wouldn't be shocked if Suckchez beat him out in TC and preseason.
    Wow....that's just silly.

    Smith is 10x the QB Sanchez is right now.

    IF they were to bring in Smith, they would be spending some money in Free Agency and on some high draft picks. We have seen what Smith is like with no talent. If there is talent around him however, whole different kettle of fish.

  17. #57
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    336
    Smith is not much of an upgrade over Sanchez??

    Smith = 104.1 QB rating

    Sanchez = 66.9 QB rating

    He's definitely more athletic than Sanchez. Better scrambler. And taller. We all know Sanchez, though falsely listed as 6'2", is too short. Way too many batted passes. At least Smith is 6'4".
    Last edited by rayzor; 01-05-2013 at 07:45 PM.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Wow....that's just silly.

    Smith is 10x the QB Sanchez is right now.
    That's your opinion and I disagree. Put Smith on this untalented Jets offensive roster from this past season and he'd fall flat on his face the same way McElroy did. (Remember McElroy was the savior and Rex was stupid for not starting him immediately?)


    For a QB to make plays his receivers actually have to get open. Watch the games we had no one getting open.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    Smith is not much of an upgrade over Sanchez??

    Smith = 104.1 QB rating

    Sanchez = 66.9 QB rating

    He's definitely more athletic than Sanchez. Better scrambler. And taller. We all know Sanchez, though falsely listed as 6'2", is too short. Way too many batted passes. At least Smith is 6'4".
    That's a one inch difference in height and btw there is no comparison between the talent Smith was surrounded with in SF and the scrub parade we had on offense.

    SF has -

    -Best Offensive Line in NFL
    -top 3 Running Back Frank Gore
    -top 3 playmaking TE Vernon Davis
    -Crabtree never had a breakout year with Smith checking down but he's better than any of our WR's
    -Harbaugh playcalling

    NYJ has -

    -Mediocre O-line
    -JAG RB's
    -Keller is nowhere near what Davis is and he barely played this year
    -Santonio on IR, Kerley is decent, Tanny refused to sign Bray until week 15, and scrub WR's like Gates, Gilyard, Schilens
    -Soprano playcalling


    Put Alex Smith on our roster this year that precious QBR stat that most knowledgable football people don't pay attention to is probably in the late 60's. & I hate Sanchez.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-05-2013 at 07:53 PM.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Gore and Crabtree. Watch football much?
    Gotta love the selective history coming from the Alex Smith crowd.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us