View Poll Results: Do you want Alex Smith at QB for the Jets?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definite upgrade and we can win with him

91 57.59%
  • No, he's not much of an upgrade over Sanchez

67 42.41%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    That's your opinion and I disagree. Put Smith on this untalented Jets offensive roster from this past season and he'd fall flat on his face the same way McElroy did. (Remember McElroy was the savior and Rex was stupid for not starting him immediately?)

For a QB to make plays his receivers actually have to get open. Watch the games we had no one getting open.
    I tend to agree with this, but I would not be opposed to a Smith pick-up to compete with Sanchez for next year, unless the Jets make a move in the draft, Glennon, Smith, Barkley. I do have a question for many, Barkley put up very good numbers last year and the year before, he got hurt this year, why would nobody be for a Barkley draft? And answering "it's because it's where Sanchez went to school, but that would be a myopic response, two completely different players, both who had very different college careers. Barkley, before he got hurt was touted to possibly be a #1 pick this year, I would actually be on board with Barkley interest.

Anyway, not opposed to Smith, but I think Sanchez and Smith are rather redundant players, both were blue chip draft picks, both have struggled to launch their NFL career, the only reason Smith has had some success is because it took him 5 years to do it, Sanchez hasn't gotten there yet, people who want Smith over Sanchez, are forgetting the first 4 years of Smith's career.

I'd also be very much for a Matt Flynn pick-up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    call me crazy but what about david carr?
    Crazy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Garrard isn't coming back. Better then anyone on that list but hasn't played in a long time. We'd be better off signing Chad Pennington back.
    He is working out, and is planning to return. His back was fine after the surgery and he was working out with no issues when he knee required surgery.

i have been throwing his name out here for the jets since i learned he was planning to come back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    That's actually a 2" difference.
    -True, SF does have the best offensive line but Jets not that far behind. They rank 5th with better pass protection.

- Gore actually ranked number 10 while Greene 14

- Davis actually ranked 17th best TE this season.

Do you really believe we don't make the playoffs if Smith started this season? Get Holmes back, resign Braylon and teach Hill to catch and we should be ok at WR. A new OC and we're set. Our main issue is QB.
    Yo don't even know who 1/2 of the starters are going to be next year, and you think your set.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He is working out, and is planning to return. His back was fine after the surgery and he was working out with no issues when he knee required surgery.

i have been throwing his name out here for the jets since i learned he was planning to come back.
    If those are truly our best options sign me up. Really. Moore, Campbel, and Fitz please that can't be the best we can find. I hope to god we draft a QB just so we at least have hope in a young guy. People don't need to like him just as long as he gives some hope. AND LEADERSHIP. I we end up with a potential guy with 0 leadership and heart again I'm not sure what I will do. I don't need a physical dynamo it could be a young Rex Grossman 2.0. I'll take that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I tend to agree with this, but I would not be opposed to a Smith pick-up to compete with Sanchez for next year, unless the Jets make a move in the draft, Glennon, Smith, Barkley. I do have a question for many, Barkley put up very good numbers last year and the year before, he got hurt this year, why would nobody be for a Barkley draft? And answering "it's because it's where Sanchez went to school, but that would be a myopic response, two completely different players, both who had very different college careers. Barkley, before he got hurt was touted to possibly be a #1 pick this year, I would actually be on board with Barkley interest.

Anyway, not opposed to Smith, but I think Sanchez and Smith are rather redundant players, both were blue chip draft picks, both have struggled to launch their NFL career, the only reason Smith has had some success is because it took him 5 years to do it, Sanchez hasn't gotten there yet, people who want Smith over Sanchez, are forgetting the first 4 years of Smith's career.

I'd also be very much for a Matt Flynn pick-up.
    I dont think the jets will be in any position to trade picks for flynn.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go with Russ t rombone !

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Yo don't even know who 1/2 of the starters are going to be next year, and you think your set.
    I think the only starters we would really miss, out of the few that are unrestricted, will be our safeties.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fine with Smith or Flynn or whatever.

This whole Sanchez is a mental weakling thing is sad. The kid was nearly maimed in the 1st half of the playoff game in Pittsburgh (that sack was vicious) and almost pulled off a huge comeback. He's beaten Brady in the playoffs in Boston (outplaying him). We love Flynn based on two or three games he subbed for Rodgers. But Sanchez was a hero here after his first 3 games in 09, that included a 3TD win over the Patriots...Going into this season he was either the leader (or high up) in comeback wins since joining the league. And yet truly, he looked fried and finished at seasons end, which goes to say 2 things:

1) We really ruined Sanchez. If he didn't develop or even regressed, the org has a lot to blame given the investments we made.
    2) We have no idea how Smith or Flynn or whoever will deal with our media circus and lack of receivers who get separation and coordinators that can't design a play that gets someone open
    3) I really hope before we find out the answer to 2, the new GM cleans house.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Gore and Crabtree. Watch football much?
    What year did Crabtree actually start playing, jacka$$? Gore doesn't count since Sanchez was horrible with the leagues best running game and better weapons.

Holmes, Braylon, Kerley and Hill would make for a better WR core than Smith ever played with.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why? He's still got age on his side...really started to come into his own the last season and 1/2...could really benefit from a fresh start with a new team.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, et al are rare finds...odds are we will never get one. We can win a championship with a good, solid quarterback who doesn't turn the ball over, can complete more than 50% of his passes, and who is motivated to show the league that San Fran made a mistake in how the used them, and in letting them go.

I'll take him as a longer term option over an unproven entity (be it a Flynn, or a draft pick) any day. I'm sick of crossing my fingers and hoping someone is going to develop into something halfway decent.
    Very well put.

jf

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    No way.
    Thank you.

I don't want Smith unless Harbaugh is coming with him. And neither does anyone else on here, they just don't realize it.

"Better than Sanchez" is not what we're looking for. We're looking for a good quarterback.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    That's your opinion and I disagree. Put Smith on this untalented Jets offensive roster from this past season and he'd fall flat on his face the same way McElroy did. (Remember McElroy was the savior and Rex was stupid for not starting him immediately?)

For a QB to make plays his receivers actually have to get open. Watch the games we had no one getting open.
    Smith is a better QB, hands down. That isn't debatable. What is debatable is how good could he be with the talent we have. I would agree he wouldn't be as good as he is in San Fran. But what QB would be? When your starting three WR's are Braylon Edwards, Clyde Gates, and Jeremy Kerley, and your starting TE is Jeff Cumberland, Peyton Manning might be the only QB to do something with that group.

HOWEVER. You give Smith Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, a solid TE, and a new RB, things could be different.

My question on Alex Smith is two-fold: a) Can he play in NY during the months of December? There is a big difference playing on the West-Coast in those months. Some guys do not play well in cold weather. Sanchez was a GREAT example of that; b) Can he handle the NY media/fanbase. Destroyed Sanchez, but then again, it would destroy most QB's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree but which QB that's obtainable other than the draft fits that bill? Here's who's a free agent in 2013:

Drew Stanton IND

Matt Leinart OAK
    Let's bring Matt Leinart in and watch SAR lose his mind to excitement!

Or sign Drew Stanton and watch him bring us to a SB one year too late!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt Flynn

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    The Matt Flynn who has done nothing in the NFL except sign a big contract and then couldn't beat out Russell Wilson for the starting job?

No thanks. If Gamble can bring Alex Smith and somehow get Sanchez to go the other way, DO IT NOW!
    Flynn isn't good because he lost his job to Wilson??Flynn, might be a bust pick up. We also could catch lightining in a bottle with him.It was only one game, but he threw for 500yds and 6 touchdowns on Monday night, he made all the throws, including downfield stuff that Smith can't do

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Voted no, but not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade, but he is not worth his salary either. I'd be happy going all out for Moore, until we can get a real franchise QB. I think we can win with him, and he might surprise some people.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the only starters we would really miss, out of the few that are unrestricted, will be our safeties.
    If you dont think Keller, Devito, Pouha and Moore will will be greatly missed, wait to you see who their replacements are.

Why do you think Rex started those old LBs, because they were the best he had.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alex Smith is not the right guy for NY. He is nothing more than a Game manager. Id prefer Matt Moore for a year or two, or Matt flynn to come in and compete. Sanchez is gonna be here in 2013 if we cant trade him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    YES!