View Poll Results: Do you want Alex Smith at QB for the Jets?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definite upgrade and we can win with him

91 57.59%
  • No, he's not much of an upgrade over Sanchez

67 42.41%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

All League

Just one thing to consider:

Alex Smith is from San Diego.

Has anyone ever seen him play in inclement weather? I know he went to school at Utah, but how many times did he play in adverse conditions while there?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    The Matt Flynn who has done nothing in the NFL except sign a big contract and then couldn't beat out Russell Wilson for the starting job?

No thanks. If Gamble can bring Alex Smith and somehow get Sanchez to go the other way, DO IT NOW!
    I don't like Flynn either but I'd rather take a shot and see what he has over wasting money on another undynamic game manager like Smith. Flynn might have upside.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    Alex Smith is from San Diego.

Has anyone ever seen him play in inclement weather? I know he went to school at Utah, but how many times did he play in adverse conditions while there?
    Are you implying Smith doesn't have a wonderful 104.1 QBR if he's running in the cold windy weather from multiple DE's in our backfield trying to force the ball to Chaz Schilens and Clyde Gates downfield?

Nah.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Are you implying Smith doesn't have a wonderful 104.1 QBR if he's running in the cold windy weather from multiple DE's in our backfield trying to force the ball to Chaz Schilens and Clyde Gates downfield?

Nah.

Practice Squad
    That's a one inch difference in height and btw there is no comparison between the talent Smith was surrounded with in SF and the scrub parade we had on offense.

SF has -

-Best Offensive Line in NFL
    -top 3 Running Back Frank Gore
    -top 3 playmaking TE Vernon Davis
    -Crabtree never had a breakout year with Smith checking down but he's better than any of our WR's
    -Harbaugh playcalling

NYJ has -

-Mediocre O-line
    -JAG RB's
    -Keller is nowhere near what Davis is and he barely played this year
    -Santonio on IR, Kerley is decent, Tanny refused to sign Bray until week 15, and scrub WR's like Gates, Gilyard, Schilens
    -Soprano playcalling

Put Alex Smith on our roster this year that precious QBR stat that most knowledgable football people don't pay attention to is probably in the late 60's. & I hate Sanchez.
    That's actually a 2" difference.
    -True, SF does have the best offensive line but Jets not that far behind. They rank 5th with better pass protection.

- Gore actually ranked number 10 while Greene 14

- Davis actually ranked 17th best TE this season.

Do you really believe we don't make the playoffs if Smith started this season? Get Holmes back, resign Braylon and teach Hill to catch and we should be ok at WR. A new OC and we're set. Our main issue is QB.

All Pro
    depends on if tebow leaves if not then no i believe he deserves a chance and if he does leave than abs and that includes vick who i would put at the very bottom of the list.

Smith is Sanchez both are dependent on the talent around them to provide the lift. Neither provides the spark for other player

Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    Smith is Sanchez both are dependent on the talent around them to provide the lift. Neither provides the spark for other player
    +1

They are both undynamic game managers. Alex Smith would have been horrible if he was on this year's Jets team - maybe slightly better and maybe we go 7-9 instead of 6-10. Big deal.

I want a big, mobile athletic QB that can throw the ball downfield. No more dink and dunk and let's run the ball 40X per game try to win 10-7.

Nah.
    How did he play last year in the NFC Championship game in inclement weather?

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    How did he play last year in the NFC Championship game in inclement weather?
    How did Mark Sanchez play in the AFC Championship games the two previous years before?

Incredible how gullible some of these people are. You'd think Alex Smith was better than Tom Brady. The man-love is flowing here.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-05-2013 at 08:52 PM.

I'd rather see Jets take a chance on someone with a higher ceiling than Smith. Want someone who makes the rest of the roster better, not who has needed a top roster to be good.

My answer to the poll would be no, but not because he's not an upgrade over Sanchez. He definitely is and would be best 2013 option, but I don't see him as the best option long term.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    I'd rather see Jets take a chance on someone with a higher ceiling than Smith. Want someone who makes the rest of the roster better, not who has needed a top roster to be good.
    Solid post.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    Agree but which QB that's obtainable other than the draft fits that bill? Here's who's a free agent in 2013:

Luke McCown ATL
    Joe Flacco BAL
    Tarvaris Jackson BUF
    Tyler Thigpen BUF
    Derek Anderson CAR
    Jason Campbell CHI
    Josh McCown CHI
    Bruce Gradkowski CIN
    Drew Stanton IND
    Brady Quinn KC
    Pat Devlin MIA (Ex)
    Matt Moore MIA
    Chase Daniel NO
    David Carr NYG
    Matt Leinart OAK
    Charlie Batch PIT
    Byron Leftwich PIT
    Kellen Clemens STL
    Rex Grossman WAS

Assuming Vick, Smith, Flynn and Fitzpatrick will be cut/traded.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    Agree but which QB that's obtainable other than the draft fits that bill? Here's who's a free agent in 2013:

Luke McCown – ATL
    Joe Flacco – BAL
    Tarvaris Jackson – BUF
    Tyler Thigpen – BUF
    Derek Anderson – CAR
    Jason Campbell – CHI
    Josh McCown – CHI
    Bruce Gradkowski – CIN
    Drew Stanton – IND
    Brady Quinn – KC
    Pat Devlin – MIA – (Ex)
    Matt Moore – MIA
    Chase Daniel – NO
    David Carr – NYG
    Matt Leinart – OAK
    Charlie Batch – PIT
    Byron Leftwich – PIT
    Kellen Clemens – STL
    Rex Grossman – WAS

Assuming Vick, Smith, Flynn and Fitzpatrick will be cut/traded.
    David Garrard is available and can be had for the vet minimum. He would have started for the Dolphins this year but he had surgery right before the season so they cut him to make roster space. There is precedence for this Randall Cunningham took a couple years off and came back in 1998 and almost took the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

Smith is going to cost at least $3 mil next year and that's in addition to the $8.25 we are on the hook for Sanchez.

Luke McCown ATL - Trash you can draft a 4th rounder to do what he has done.
    Joe Flacco BAL - .01% he is going to hit the market. We also couldn't afford if he did
    Tarvaris Jackson BUF - Buff, Minni, and Seattle didn't want him. Can we name anther team that had about what we had at QB.
    Tyler Thigpen BUF - Miami and KC didn't want him.
    Derek Anderson CAR - NOOO
    Jason Campbell CHI - Last year I would have said yes. Now he is going to cost you more and want more then one year. pass
    Josh McCown CHI - I still like McCown but he is dumber then dog snot
    Bruce Gradkowski CIN - Anther guy that has had his shot vs bad QBs and still couldn't win a job.
    Drew Stanton IND - Yeah lol he is gonna want to come back here .
    Brady Quinn KC - F NOOO
    Pat Devlin MIA (Ex) - He is still in the league?
    Matt Moore MIA - The only real option but he will cost 12 mil 3 years min for us to get him. He isn't worth it and it anther JETS patch fix like we have been doing for 40 years or so now.
    Chase Daniel NO - Who knows what he is? He doesn't have Flynns hype maybe the same kind of guy. I wouldn't bet on it though.
    David Carr NYG - Oddly I say is worth it as the primary BU. Not a starter at least not on this team.
    Matt Leinart OAK - god no please no
    Charlie Batch PIT - What is he like 50 now? Didn't he play when I was in grade school geeze.
    Byron Leftwich PIT - For vet min yeah OK as our #3
    Kellen Clemens STL - He couldn't beat Sanchez the 1st time. Seriously no
    Rex Grossman WAS - I doubt he'd come here but is better then most mentioned. Still not a starter.

Assuming Vick - F that I would be cheering for any team we played.
    Smith - Sanchez only with less arm? NOO
    Flynn - He was all hype this year and could beat out a rookie who he wasn't even competing against by all accounts until the last preseason game. lol no
    Fitzpatrick - Pipe dream IMO he isn't going anywhere. Romo and Cutler are more likely and we can't afford them either.

David Garrard is available and can be had for the vet minimum. He would have started for the Dolphins this year but he had surgery right before the season so they cut him to make roster space. There is precedence for this Randall Cunningham took a couple years off and came back in 1998 and almost took the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

Smith is going to cost at least $3 mil next year and that's in addition to the $8.25 we are on the hook for Sanchez.
    Garrard isn't coming back. Better then anyone on that list but hasn't played in a long time. We'd be better off signing Chad Pennington back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    That's actually a 2" difference.
    -True, SF does have the best offensive line but Jets not that far behind. They rank 5th with better pass protection.

- Gore actually ranked number 10 while Greene 14

- Davis actually ranked 17th best TE this season.

Do you really believe we don't make the playoffs if Smith started this season? Get Holmes back, resign Braylon and teach Hill to catch and we should be ok at WR. A new OC and we're set. Our main issue is QB.
    We could lose a ton of players to FA; we need to draft very wisely to replace some guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He's not the most Athletic QB but he's super intelligent and I think he works in our system.
    What do you mean by not being the most athletic? Not RG3, Tannahill, Newton, Kapernick type for sure, but he is no Brady, Manning, Ryan, he is more like a Rogers and Romo. He had a 4.7 40 and a sub 4 shuttle which is CB like.

call me crazy but what about david carr?